UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Brake pad confusion

Old 26-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Brake pad confusion

Hi troops,
Ummmm so it’s nearly Brake pad time and I’m going to stick with brembo. However I’m confused, the last time I bought pads I thought the SA pads we’re best for road. Good temp to brake coefficient.

However it seems the line up has changed a wee bit and the brembo website is saying I have a choice of:

RC = racing only and avoid
SC = racing and fast road. I Would normally avoid but the coefficient graph is really good.
LA = road use and probably my go to and possibly the replacement for the SA pads.
Or some sort of carbon ceramic one; which is what their configurator recommends! Normally I’d avoid anything with carbon ceramic. But again the coefficient graph is good.

What’s everyone else running? Or thoughts on the brembos welcome
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Personally, I would go with the SC.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Flip

Bike: M900
Double check the part number but I think the very excellent SportsbikeShop have the SA compound in stock.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/374336

There are also options from Italy on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F142590531341

I have the SA’s on my old 900 and once bedded in they have been great in all weathers.

Last edited by Flip; 26-07-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
Ron1000

Yeah the SA’s are still out there to buy. Cheap too £60 for front both sets.

Just wondering if the technology has moved on there’s now a better pad.
Old 26-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Flip

Bike: M900
Ah I dunno, I guess there’s always going to be something bigger, better or re-branded else it looks like company’s stay still.

That’s all we’ll and good of course but unless you can actually make use of it things tend to be no better than before. Plus with a road bike it has to be a compromise between pad and disc wear as well as them having to work under the broadest of spectrums.

Only you know how you ride and the demands you put upon them in relation to what you expect from them.

Might be worth firing off an email to either Brembo themselves or one of their approved dealers such as Bike Torque Racing and asking for their thoughts?
Old 26-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Ron1000

I’m actually no that heavy a brake user, but when they have been used certainly they’re not as effective as they once were.

My logic [outwith cost and disc wear] would be to pick the one with the best temp to friction coefficient.

The problem is that the brembo graph ends at 50degC so I could try to extrapolate the graph but it’s really a complete guess. For all know they drop off a cliff.

But ultimately the SC ones do look to have a better coefficient than the SA. Even better than the race ones too until you get them too hot and they throw in the towel. Obviously something I’ll never achieve.

I’ll take my old ones out and double check what I’ve got then go from there. Probably a step up from mine would be good especially for the initial bite.
Old 26-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Luddite

I fitted SA pads to my Evo, Ron, and am very happy with them. Have a look here for my, and Flip's, experiences with them. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...3&postcount=87

I got two pairs for £54 in 2017 from Simon at WSC Performance. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56141
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My local Ducati guy (Cornerspeed) recommended Bendix and ive no complaints and they are no better or worse than the Carbone Lorraine ones i used before but a whole lot cheaper.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
Ron1000

After tonight’s track experience [see track thread for more details] I’ll stick with the SA pad. I was properly on those brakes and they held up amazingly well.