UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Various Carb Hoses

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Various Carb Hoses

Hi all.

Was tinkering with my 97 M900 today, doing yet more tidying up from previous owners 'mods' and had a good look around the Carbs following a couple of threads on here about Vacuum hoses etc.

As the bike is a 97 model I’m quite sure it shouldn’t have a Vacuum fuel tap fitted and sure enough the inlet manifold for the horizontal Cylinder doesn’t have a Vacuum take off. The Inlet manifold for the vertical Cylinder does have one and it’s connected to the fuel pump.

There is also of course the fuel inlet pipe from the fuel pump to the ‘T’ connection between the carbs.

Then there are the various breather/outlet pipes:

Firstly the Float chamber drain pipes. These I’ve already replaced with Stainless over-braided hose, which is a bit OTT, and I’m thinking of just removing them as I can push a length of hose onto each one to drain the float bowls if I ever need to.

Then I need some wisdom from those more experienced with ‘our’ bikes.

The fuel overflow hose from a ‘T’ piece between the carbs just behind the Fuel inlet ‘T’ has been cut to @3in long and drips onto the top of the Horizontal Cylinder if I leave the fuel tap on too long without the engine running.
How should this be routed?
I’m probably going to add a longer pipe and route it down the left side of the engine.

Next are the two breather pipes from the Diaphragm chambers with the inline valves and over-springs.
These look like they’ve been cut short after the valves and again just dangle over the Horizontal cylinder.
I’m sure these should be protected somehow from low/high pressure around the bike to ensure consistent pressure difference across the Diaphragms, but don’t know what the standard setup is.
Anyone have some images?

Thanks

Nasher.