UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Whats needed for a service at 23000m??

Old 22-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Manda

Whats needed for a service at 23000m??

My S4R is overdue for a service, the last one was done at 15000 miles and had all belts replaced, shims done, filters replaced, gaskets etc... What would you suggest needs doing now, its got 23000 miles on the clock now. All the above doesn't need doing every 7000 miles does it? It would be cheaper to buy a new bike every 2 years
Old 22-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Manda,

Usual rule of thumb is 2 years or 12000 miles on belts for 2 valve motors, but not sure if that's the case on later 4 valve w/c lumps? Service intervals are minor 6K & major at 12K miles. I would say at the very least the bike could do with fresh oil & filter, and the shims checked - some of which it's at least 2000 miles overdue for. However the belts have to come off to check/adjust the shims, so you may as well put new belts on while your at it, or make do with checking/re-adjusting the old ones.

If the bikes out of guarantee you can save £££'s by taking it to a good independant service agent. God only knows what some franchised dealers rip people off for service-wise these days. Last time I had a full service done at a Ducati dealer (900 - 2 valve) it cost over £350 & I almost shat myself when I saw the bill.

Recent trike service - cam belts/ 4 shims & uprated slave cylinder fitted cost me £170. I supplied some of the parts and did my own oil/filter change beforehand though

Last edited by gary tompkins; 22-05-2008 at 10:50 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I think you've caught onto the marketing plan there.
Old 22-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Manda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
Manda,

Usual rule of thumb is 2 years or 12000 miles on belts for 2 valve motors, but not sure if that's the case on later 4 valve w/c lumps? Service intervals are minor 6K & major at 12K miles. I would say at the very least the bike could do with fresh oil & filter, and the shims checked - some of which it's at least 2000 miles overdue for. However the belts have to come off to check/adjust the shims, so you may as well put new belts on while your at it, or make do with checking/re-adjusting the old ones.

If the bikes out of guarantee you can save £££'s by taking it to a good independant service agent. God only knows what some franchised dealers rip people off for service-wise these days. Last time I had a full service done at a Ducati dealer (900 - 2 valve) it cost over £350 & I almost shat myself when I saw the bill.

Recent trike service - cam belts/ 4 shims & uprated slave cylinder fitted cost me £170. I supplied some of the parts and did my own oil/filter change beforehand though

Yes quite, my service at Protwins was £543.00 2 years ago, thats why I asked cos I dont really want another bill like that if I can get a friend to do it.
Old 22-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Kerrching!!!

Ahhh... Pro Twins

As suggested earlier - shop around to avoid open wallet surgury

nuff said
Old 22-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Chris & Nean

What’ a 12000 mile service plus new pads and chain n sprockets going to be?
Old 22-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Depend's where you go - best thing is to get several quotes before hand

I haven't used official dealers for years... see post #2 above
Old 25-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
DIY is the cheapest option if u are technical.
Old 25-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
alreadyinuse

workshop manuals are great things i dunno if there is an english one for the s4.
shop around for parts. but try dealers because they are surprisingly cheap for service pats.
I;d allow £100 at least in parts for a chain and sprockets/ but probably closer to 200 fitted