UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back on bikes - M900 restoration

Old 19-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Wasta

Bike: M900
Nope, no pics here either, enjoy the bike and welcome. Keep us posted on how the re-builds going.
Old 20-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #17
sta22

Haha yes far too late for that...

I'm still looking to be on the road for summer, but to be honest it was dirty enough to make the rebuild worthwhile anyway. If anything major does crop up I'm sure I'll just take the hit, looking forward to hearing that rumble again too much!
Old 20-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Fook, you don't hang about do you...
Old 20-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
sta22

Its the Ikea frame stands that make it all so easy
Old 20-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I had one like that. I do miss it strangely and will watch yours return to her former or better glory. Mine was a 97 though.

sorry about the bin and sunchairs..............

PS just don't singleside it..............
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Petej

Good luck with the project, I've done a similar thing and bought a neglected monster, many hours stripping and cleaning, but have enjoyed every minute! Will keep a steady eye on this thread!

Pete
Old 22-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Witchellski

I just love the original look... You've done well to pick up an early black 900 with those graphics. Simply beautiful! Good luck with the rebuild.

Not that it is any of my business, but I hope you're not going to do a 'tail chop'... Would be such a shame on such an original bike!!

W
Old 24-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
stu7/11

So your the guy that outbid me , seriously, best of luck with the rebuild, I'll look forward to see how it progresses.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
theandyb

This is a cracking thread thank you - good luck with the build. Please continue to share the pictures and don't spare us the gore as it unfolds!
theandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
sta22

Thanks guys, been struggling for motivation a bit over the past couple of weeks with this ridiculous weather, luckily today's sun sorted that problem out... I've got a powdercoater lined up for the frame and engine casings, but I've been meaning the give the rest of the engine a quick paint before dsimantling to reduce masking requirements. Anyway, started preping the engine, liked where it was going, and spent the rest of the morning getting it back to bare aluminium. As the pics show, not there yet, but well on the way

Tomorrow, think I'll try and finish off the prep, etch prime, and get a couple of coats of VHT aluminium paint on there - that way can get the frame and casings underway this week...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
buffalo4

Good work
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
sta22

Well it's been a quiet few weeks away from the garage but progress has picked up again. No pics at the moment unfortunately as I've been rushing to squeeze in working on the bike between other things.

Last week I found a powdercoater in Bristol who was willing to source the unusual colour for the frame - after looking through the RAL sample book I decided on RAL7048, which was the closest I could find to the original bronzey-silver. Whilst I'm waiting on the frame I've been cleaning up and painting the casings in Hycote VHT silver grey - hopefully the slight contrast with the Halfords 'Aluminium' VHT on the cylinders will work well. Also sanded down the carbon bits with 1500 wet n dry and relacquered to bring them back to life - quite happy with the result.

Other than that I'm eagerly awaiting the call to say the frame's ready and it's all downhill from there!
Old 19-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
sta22

Hi Guys

Well its been quite a while since I last made some progress, but got the frame back from powdercoating Friday and have spent the weekend putting it all back together. Unfortunately, fell at the last hurdle as have two wires left over (see http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...951#post454951)

Other than that, and it not even trying to trying to turn over when hitting the starter, very happy with how its looking.

Old 20-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Looking really tidy
Old 23-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #30
sta22

Well, finally yesterday I finished off the niggles, the numberplate went on and I took it out for a ride - last thing I rode was a 600 hornet - all I can say about the monster is wow!