UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Another build thread - Ducati 1000

Old 07-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #106
buzzer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Ha ... I've used the same trick in the past, to broach a hex hole in a replacement brass check lever that was missing from an old centrepin fishing reel that I restored.
Its surprisingly effective, isn't it ?
I've since been using that reel for over 20yrs.
yes it is effective! a few years ago I needed to make a pully wheel for a throttle linkage where the spindle had flats on it and used the same idea..

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #107
buzzer

took the bike for MOT… riding there through town I noticed that it really is far too loud… I actually coasted into the mot station! Chatting to the MOT guy we were saying that we first met when I was 15... we are the same age... that's 50 years ago! In all that time he has only failed one of my cars or bikes... and that was last year when I had failed to spot a tyre on my Mercedes that was bald on the inside edge... he really has not let me forget it since

when I got home I decided to make a baffle, which has toned it down nicely, without making it too quiet.

Old 28-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #108
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Loud pipes save lives dontcha know fella
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #109
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark64 View Post
.....and sound brilliant on a Ducati V-Twin

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #110
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark64 View Post
I know, I know... but there is loud... and LOUD and this was jut over the top!

maybe i will try some different packing without the baffle...
Old 30-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #111
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
I know, I know... but there is loud... and LOUD and this was jut over the top!

maybe i will try some different packing without the baffle...
A single megaphone? That is going to be very loud. It hurts my ears just looking at it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #112
buzzer

Well I have done a fair few miles on it the other day... I have to say I love this bike! the carburation feels spot on and it runs like a dream! It goes far better than I thought it would, and fells a LOT more powerful than my 900 monster... I guess that's the 100 extra CC's and the flat slide carbs. I think this will be a keeper, its surprisingly comfortable as well!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #113
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

A keeper? No good me putting in an offer then Nah,just kidding,that's a fine looking bike Tony.

Kimbo
Old 08-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #114
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Very nice Buzzer. Please could you remind me? Was it an ST2 or a Hyperstrada?

Looking forward to your build thread on the Provost.. Looks like it's due!
Old 08-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #115
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
A keeper? No good me putting in an offer then Nah,just kidding,that's a fine looking bike Tony.

Kimbo
I think this one is a keeper I like this bike... in fact I sold the ST4s bike with the 996 engine last month... I liked it, but I prefer the simplicity of the air cooled bikes
Old 08-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #116
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Very nice Buzzer. Please could you remind me? Was it an ST2 or a Hyperstrada?

Looking forward to your build thread on the Provost.. Looks like it's due!
this one started life as a 2003 Multistrada, the clocks had failed on it... so had the ECU, and the tank had swelled so bad I had to bend it to get it off! which caused it to leak...
Old 08-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #117
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The Multistrada could be a very good looking and capable bike if you do to it what you have done. Nice! They were fairly cheap to buy a while back too, even the S Ohlins versions were stupid cheap.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #118
buzzer

I have been doing quite a few miles, and thoroughly enjoying the bike! In fact its my go to bike when I go for a ride, and others have remained unused! But they say a special is never finished… and they are probably right! one thing I have never been entirely comfortable with is flat slide carbs with no positive means of closing… So I decided to put some closing cables on the carbs. The junction boxes were fitted to many old British bikes. This meant I could lighten the closing springs a little and have a lighter throttle action, and use a faster action, which we all know adds at least 20 BHP! well it feels like it!

At first I tried a 38mm drum, but this was less than a 1/4 closed to open… too fast, and too heavy! I calculated that 33mm was about right, so off I went to my local bike breakers to hunt for a replacement. He has a very old storage unit with hundreds of boxes on shelves which I systematically went through… last few boxes, and I found the ideal, out of a Honda CFR250. Must say it was rather spooky in there on my own… lots of funny noises which had me constantly looking behind me!!!

Last edited by buzzer; 28-06-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Old 08-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #119
buzzer

I have been mulling over doing another special, rather than a Restoration, which I did last time with an early Monster 900 . I have been riding around the last project I built, the Multistrada with the FCR 41mm carbs on it, which goes really well! In fact its My favourite bike to ride! One of the problems with it though is the single seat, my wife likes to come out on pillion sometimes…

So I decided to build a scrambler type bike, with a dual seat on.
I looked around for another 1000 DS Multistrada and this red one turned up at the right price. These are cheap to buy as many are suffering leaking and bubbling tanks, and faded LCD screens. It’s done 16k miles! I am still formulating ideas at the moment, but I have made a bit of a start so I have stripped it of all the parts I won’t use so I can sell these on.

here is my first attempt at a mock up, using a borrowed seat and a bit of photoshop...

Sometimes I just sit for a while and look at the silhouette of a build in the garage with the lights out… I did this the other night (my wife thinks I am mad!) and I kept coming to the conclusion that the tank is not what I want… So off to the bike breaker who lets me wonder around his BIG unit. I took a cardboard cut out of the shape I wanted with me, and some measurements… of the hundreds of tanks I looked at (surprising how many are now plastic!) , none were suitable, mainly due to the angle of the frame.

On the last build I used a 999 tank which worked well, so I decided to try a shortened version on this build. I didn’t feel bad cutting this up as its so badly corroded, and it just goes to show what leaving a bike for a long period with ethanol based fuel in it does inside the tank. you can see from the light I am holding behind it that its actually perforated on the top! So its off to the blasters with it to see what state its in when it comes back…. I have a fall back, but its a perfect 999 tank, be a shame to cut it up... If the one comes back from the blasters and its too bad, I will probably use it to mock up, and see if I can find a dented one.

My FCR 41's came this morning

Old 08-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #120
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Great stuff Tony,another build,looking forward to it

Kimbo