UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Monster aluminium tank arrived

Old 23-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Geoff

Bike: M1000ie
Monster aluminium tank arrived

If I’ve posted in the wrong area please move.
Before I comment I have no links with this company but feel he deserves some recognition for outstanding work.
After some 10 years trying to purchase an alloy tank for my 2004 monster 1000 I’ve finally got one. Over the years I’ve approached pretty much every UK builder holt, tab classics and others and the same reply - very complex and would take too much time and tooling costs etc. I even raised threads on forums regarding a bulk buy from a company in UK for a minimum of 20 but zero interest. Anyway found a guy called Manuel who’s company link is
info@tecknorace.it based in Italy. After searching forums I found a link to him dated from around 2012 and he produces some excellent work and I thought craftsmanship of this nature should be shared. I specifically wanted the brushed affect as per my alloy 1098 tank however at an additional charge can be polished.

Asked Manuel for some info about him and here’s his reply.

From 2013 to 2018 I made the tanks for the Ducati Moto GP, and also I made the production of the aluminum tank for the Ducati 1098.
In general I can say that I am able to reproduce any type of tank.
For some models such as Ducati sport1000, Ducati Gt 1000, Ducati Paul Smart, Ducati Streetfighter And Ducati Monster I have the molds to be able to beat the sheet metal, but I am able to produce any tank even without having the molds.
I have always done bodywork from Ferrari machines and tanks as they did in the 70s.

Here’s some pics of my own tank before and fitted to monster. I’ve also included two other pictures of his work on cars - amazing car and petrol tank.
Tank now at painters for lacquer and then my paint scheme.

I’ve spent some time trying to upload the pictures but failed miserably. Reduced size to blurred images but still nothing. Anyway lead time from placing order a remarkable 3 weeks to manufacture.
Shame I can’t get the photos uploaded as the tank is real craftsmanship.
Hopefully this works. The pics have been downsized and really don’t do the tank and especially the car justice but you get the point.
On another forum as expected price was raised and the need to find a post highlighting problems way back on 2014. The guy has a vast amount of satisfied customers which he didn’t highlight but goes out of his way to find any bad press which Manuel responded to and there’s no way it left Manuel in the condition mentioned. Regarding cost - a plastic tank from Ducati costs £1700 which will eventually expand and is a mass produced item. Any interested monster owner should contact Manuel - he always responded quickly but doesn’t work at weekends I think.
To sum up unlike some people I actually have a physical tank which I’m over the moon with. A work of art.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1bxwxozgc/

Last edited by Geoff; 24-01-2020 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Adding pics
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Shame I can’t get the photos uploaded as the tank is real craftsmanship.
Congratulations on finally tracking down your Holy Grail, Geoff.

But you can't tease us with the details and then not show us the pictures!

For posting pictures, you need to use a photo hosting site.
I use www.postimages.org/signup.

Once you've uploaded your picture, you should be presented with these options...

Click on the blue 'copy' icon next to the 'hotlink for forums' address and paste it into your post.

If you preview the post before submitting it, the picture will appear in the preview if you've done it correctly.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Moco1961

Sounds fascinating Geoff, can you post a link maybe? This thread has capability to post pictures, it's the yellow square with grey mountains. You need to put your pics on a hosting site, I use Flikr,( others are available !).... Then paste them on here.

Would be great to see examples of this guys work.....he sounds very familiar
Old 23-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Interesting... I had found a place in the states that can make them in alloy so I'd be interested in seeing some pictures (although I could do with not spending vast amounts on mine this year...)
Old 23-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Interesting... I had found a place in the states that can make them in alloy so I'd be interested in seeing some pictures (although I could do with not spending vast amounts on mine this year...)
Famous last words, arguably spoken on behalf of all of us, probably adhered to by none of us...
Old 24-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Be very wary of the US tank. If it’s the same company, people on another monster forum had a lot of issues with quality. Holes which should have been blind were machined all the way through etc etc.
Edit, hopefully this link works,

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=75951.0

Last edited by damien666; 24-01-2020 at 01:42 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Congratulations on finally tracking down your Holy Grail, Geoff.

But you can't tease us with the details and then not show us the pictures!

For posting pictures, you need to use a photo hosting site.
I use www.postimages.org/signup.

Once you've uploaded your picture, you should be presented with these options...

Click on the blue 'copy' icon next to the 'hotlink for forums' address and paste it into your post.

If you preview the post before submitting it, the picture will appear in the preview if you've done it correctly.
Thanks fir the help - followed your instructions and think it’s worked.
Old 24-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien666 View Post
Be very wary of the US tank. If it’s the same company, people on another monster forum had a lot of issues with quality. Holes which should have been blind were machined all the way through etc etc.
Edit, hopefully this link works,

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=75951.0
From my short read I believe it’s legendary motorcycles as they emphasis it’s an all American made tank. There is no link with tecknorace but after my initial research he was linked to moto legends - well highlighted on several forums.
The finish and other aspects of the legendary tank is different. Just look around the fuel cap area. The legendary tank has a distinctive ring whereas tecknorace all smooth which is my preferred. In addition, I don’t think legendary will supply polished if that’s your preference. At point of ordering you need to highlight this as tecknorace uses slightly thicker aluminium and will supply polished at an additional cost. The threaded holes are welded in inserts and truly professional and work of art.

Last edited by Geoff; 24-01-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Old 24-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Sounds fascinating Geoff, can you post a link maybe? This thread has capability to post pictures, it's the yellow square with grey mountains. You need to put your pics on a hosting site, I use Flikr,( others are available !).... Then paste them on here.

Would be great to see examples of this guys work.....he sounds very familiar
You are right he’s been around the scene producing these tanks since around 2012 from what I found. Initially through moto legends and possibly parts planet at later date but not 100% sure about later.
Old 24-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
Geoff

Leadtime

On another forum timescales were raised.
Amazingly from placing an order I received pictures within 3 days of the basic structure tack welded and three weeks later pictures of the finished tank. Couldn’t really fault any of the process. You pay a deposit and then after completion you pay the outstanding amount. Several days later a well packaged box arrives revealing a real piece of craftsmanship.
Old 24-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
The warning about the US tank was a response for @blah blah post. I should have quoted it in my reply. I maybe should have written ‘ if it’s the same US company as discussed on another forum......’
Just so theres no confusion, i realise theres no connection between ledgendary tanks in US and your tank from tecnorace in Italy. On ducati forum uk, i commented that your tank quality looks on a par with the ‘beater’ tank i got from Japan.
Happy days.

Last edited by damien666; 24-01-2020 at 07:33 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
That's stunning Geoff, can I ask how much it cost and what % the deposit was?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #13
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
That's stunning Geoff, can I ask how much it cost and what % the deposit was?
Not really trying to avoid answering but Manuel at tecknorace is better placed to answer. I’ve seen too many threads on these alloy tanks getting lost in arguments regarding outrageous price and then the craftsmanship is lost but I assure you it really is worth it and everyone that’s seem my tank including quality body shop guys can’t believe he can make at his price and remarkable lead time. The deposit is £500 and then he starts making the tank. I’ve found him very easy to deal with and kept me updated on progress including some pics of build.
Old 24-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #14
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien666 View Post
The warning about the US tank was a response for @blah blah post. I should have quoted it in my reply. I maybe should have written ‘ if it’s the same US company as discussed on another forum......’
Just so theres no confusion, i realise theres no connection between ledgendary tanks in US and your tank from tecnorace in Italy. On ducati forum uk, i commented that your tank quality looks on a par with the ‘beater’ tank i got from Japan.
Happy days.
No problem as an engineer myself albeit electronics with a love for all things mechanical. Even went to night school for a year last year to learn TIG welding and to weld 1.5mm alloy to billet parts isn’t easy and avoid distortion - fits perfectly - don’t know how he does it ?
I really appreciate quality work and feel a need to share.
Old 24-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #15
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I understand completely Geoff.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote