UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My S2R 800

Old 23-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #31
BeePee

Bike: S2r
Why chop the tail ? Especially with the shorter carbon guard. It took me ages to find a Monster that I liked and HADN'T been chopped, every perfect one that ticked the boxes got deleted when I seen the tail chop.
Anyway each to their own, keep chopping away, it'll make mine more sought after in years to come
Old 23-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #32
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I can understand wanting rid of the horrible black plastic thing but the DP carbon one looks great and has great lines IMHO. It is also distinctive of the early Monster. I think its a case of chuck out the baby with the bathwater, for me anyway. Without it, it looks like something is missing and the exhausts stick out too far at the back. I suppose it gives a more modern look as a lot of more recent bikes have that kind of look, Panigale etc but it works for those because the overall design is more modern. The monster is more a retro looking bike, well not so much looking it actually is a retro bike now!

Prices of original unmolested ones will increase for sure, I just look at some of the Jap crap that is fetching big bucks like CX500's up for 5k and stuff like that are fetching silly money.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #33
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Here are some of my DP Carbon Ducktail tray and sugar scoop on the S4 Foggy.

Old 23-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #34
BeePee

We need a "like" button !
Old 23-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #35
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yes, we need a poll 'Choppers' vs 'Ducatisti Cognoscenti' maybe?

I can't believe in 25 years of Monsters that the most common modification that people think of is chopping the the end off the frame? That's so passe in this day and age and doesn't suit the standard high level pipes anyway but. Surely there is something more original out there? Radical Ducati where are you? I love a modified Ducati but you have got to do it right. They used to do some really nice bikes.

Old 23-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #36
rac3r

I'm going carbon short tail with mine again. I like that it exposes the frame a little
Old 04-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #37
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Why chop the tail ? Especially with the shorter carbon guard. It took me ages to find a Monster that I liked and HADN'T been chopped, every perfect one that ticked the boxes got deleted when I seen the tail chop.
Anyway each to their own, keep chopping away, it'll make mine more sought after in years to come
I did it because I prefer it chopped. To me, unchopped it looks like a compromise on the original design to a tick a government box somewhere that says motorbikes need to have a huge rear mudguard.

And to be honest I don't buy stuff to worry about what its future value might or might not be, life is too short.
Old 15-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #38
Blah blah

Apparently you should spend a couple of hundred miles running new tyres in gently, ho hum...

Anyway, there is a little bit of the chicken strip left, so it must have been quite gentle

Oh, and on the bay of E, someone was selling a ST4s ohlins from their monster project that might be of interest, wasn't anyone on here was it?
Old 08-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #39
Blah blah

Been a while since I updated this, but then I haven't done much with it although it doesn't stop me buying some bits !

ST4S rear shock to match the front end, the photo is quite flattering (as were the ones that I bought it off) but as it'll be off for a service, probably a re-spring and set up, it's not a major problem.

Just got to find somewhere to mount the adjusters though
Old 08-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #40
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Been a while since I updated this, but then I haven't done much with it although it doesn't stop me buying some bits !

ST4S rear shock to match the front end, the photo is quite flattering (as were the ones that I bought it off) but as it'll be off for a service, probably a re-spring and set up, it's not a major problem.

Just got to find somewhere to mount the adjusters though
Mount under the seat discreetly like I did on my 900. You don't even know its there and that was the idea.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #41
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Nice find!

I had the S4R version (DU333) on my S2R 1000. I fitted the preload adjuster on the right pillion mount (see pic) and the reservoir hung length-wise on the left subframe below the saddle.

The Öhlins instructions say the reservoir should be mounted on the right, forward of the rider's pegs, on the frame above the crankcase. Great for cooling but not so hot on looks, hence moving it under the saddle. I had to cut a couple of slots in the plastic undertray to accommodate the hose, but nothing major.

If you're getting the shock rebuilt/refreshed, you might think about fitting a different length hose with appropriately angled banjos so that it fits exactly where you want it.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #42
Blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
... hence moving it under the saddle. I had to cut a couple of slots in the plastic undertray to accommodate the hose, but nothing major.
Got any pictures of this?

The preload isn't a problem to fit somewhere but the compression one is - it's tempting to cut lumps out of the plastic undertray to try to fit it there
Old 09-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #43
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Sorry, no pics I'm afraid. From memory I think I just removed a small square from the very edge of the undertray right above where I placed the reservoir so the hose could pass through.

Quite an insignificant hole in an inconspicuous place so not enough to weaken the tray or let any water in.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #44
Blah blah

New stickers !

Surprisingly (to me but then I'm no suspension expert) the fork springs haven't been changed they've been serviced, had new seals, 7.5 wt oil and all of the adjustable bits adjusted.

I've had the rear spring changed as the old one needed re-coating but the weight is still the same. If anyone wants an Ohlins spring in need of re-coating let me know. The shock's been serviced with some new seals and adjusted- I also got the remote reservoir hose changed round to make reservoir easier to fit, but that may have created some other problems getting it in so some more bits may need to be cut off or adjusted (oh no, think of the future value )

The rear shock is in but I need to sort out the bits attached to it (do undertray's go soft if you heat them up?) and I need the new yoke bolts to turn up so I can fit the forks, exciting times..!
Old 21-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #45
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You used to be able to get a Ducati Performance mounting kit fpr the Ohlins preload adjuster on a Monster. I managed to get one from Forza Moto. I'll post details when I have them to hand.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: