UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » always wanted a Monster, never quite got one, but...

Old 02-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #91
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
^^^^^ No - more's the pity
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #92
350TSS

Incidentally, does the central Allen bolt compress the "O" ring?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #93
Nickj

Bike: S2r
Just a random thought on 'always wanted..'
I never actually wanted but I got one and the rest as they say is history
Old 03-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #94
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Oh god yeah, so many hours work in those for sure. But doesn't everyone have a CNC lathe and a 3D printer these days though?

CNC i only just got DRO

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #95
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I see what you've done there.. I salute your stellar brilliance..
I might just steal that for a couple of my woodwork machines..
Old 03-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #96
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Were those onve vernier calipers?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #97
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
"once" I meant

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #98
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Were those onve vernier calipers?
yes they were... but the intention is to replace them with some longer DRO's that are now available cheap on Ebay...

well I came to make the last frame finisher that was actually a different size to all the rest... then I noticed that Ducati had cut the frame at an angle! So I had to make an angled finisher... this took some setting up in the lathe to get the angle just right....

Old 04-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #99
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

It needles me when people call digital calipers, Vernier. A few are guilty of it on here.
There is a distinct difference between Vernier and Digital calipers. The Vernier principal relies on the comparison of two different scales. It can be applied to two discs with holes of uneven centres too, as in some camshaft adjusters. But Digital is just a linear count.

Sorry to be pedantic Darren.. I suppose you think I am in the pedantic society now?... Well you'd be wrong matey, because it's the Society of Pedants..

Buzzer, do those dro's read the same setting if they are switched back on without moving from the last time they were switched off?. If not they won't do my job.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #100
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
It needles me when people call digital calipers, Vernier. A few are guilty of it on here.
There is a distinct difference between Vernier and Digital calipers. The Vernier principal relies on the comparison of two different scales. It can be applied to two discs with holes of uneven centres too, as in some camshaft adjusters. But Digital is just a linear count.

Sorry to be pedantic Darren.. I suppose you think I am in the pedantic society now?... Well you'd be wrong matey, because it's the Society of Pedants..

Buzzer, do those dro's read the same setting if they are switched back on without moving from the last time they were switched off?. If not they won't do my job.
yes, they retain the setting they are zero'ed into... but if it was me I would get some of these!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-150-300...TzoRk_Aq08EW-w
Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #101
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you for the link Buzzer, and for the excellent inspiration.
The kit you linked to will work very nicely indeed on my lovely old planer from an era before stepper motors and DROs.. The holy grail of repeatable settings. I could use 5 on my tenoner or could manage with 4. It will be the envy of chippies for many a country mile..

I had to grit my teeth a bit though.. Somebody is listing their kit as a digital Vernier!!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 04-04-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #102
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Thank you for the link Buzzer, and for the excellent inspiration.
The kit you linked to will work very nicely indeed on my lovely old planer from an era before stepper motors and DROs.. The holy grail of repeatable settings. I could use 5 on my tenoner or could manage with 4. It will be the envy of chippies for many a country mile..

I had to grit my teeth a bit though.. Somebody is listing their kit as a digital Vernier!!
No problem! the other thing I have been using is thread and nuts from 3D printers... I thought about it for a long time and in the end bought a couple as the thread and nuts on my old milling machine were VERY worn... its 1930 so its done well! Its transformed it! hardly any play in the table now

As an aside from working on the Ducati.... I have been busy doing a job on my Harley V-Rod today...I changed the oil and filter and in doing that took the opportunity to check on the timing bolt in the engine that can come loose on some bikes, which wrecks the engine!* nice and easy job, just drain the oil and remove the alternator cover which comes off easily.* I checked the torque of the bolt before I removed it and it was tight...* However to be on the safe side I removed it and cleaned both the internal thread and the bolt, and used some high strength thread lock on there as advised by the factory...

Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #103
The Clockie

Impressive die-casting on that Vee-Rod outer casing! I thought they were reckoned to be very weighty motors, but that doesn't look to have excessive metal to it.

Nick
Old 04-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #104
The Clockie

As regards upgrading old machinery, I fitted a stepper motor with digital control to my wheel-cutting engine for making clock parts, having become dissatisfied with the conventional dividing plate. The engine was made in 1990, based on an 18th C design, and the digital control lets me make the most precise analogue clock wheels ever seen! You've got to laugh...

Nick
Old 05-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #105
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
As regards upgrading old machinery, I fitted a stepper motor with digital control to my wheel-cutting engine for making clock parts, having become dissatisfied with the conventional dividing plate. The engine was made in 1990, based on an 18th C design, and the digital control lets me make the most precise analogue clock wheels ever seen! You've got to laugh...

Nick
Come on Nick, you cant post things like that without a picture