UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Jules' M600

Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #16
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
Thanks. So are they all silver coloured (presumably steel)? Like I mentioned, mine looks to be a bronzy colour, even in the un-rusty parts.
Yes, the stock headers are stainless steel (albeit perhaps not the finest grade) and will polish up nicely, especially if you use a buffing wheel and/or a lot of elbow grease. The problem is the exhaust heat tends to discolour the pipes again to the coppery colour quite quickly, but the more you polish them, the longer it lasts...

xxx
Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #17
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
Yes, the stock headers are stainless steel (albeit perhaps not the finest grade) and will polish up nicely, especially if you use a buffing wheel and/or a lot of elbow grease. The problem is the exhaust heat tends to discolour the pipes again to the coppery colour quite quickly, but the more you polish them, the longer it lasts...

xxx
Thanks. I’ve been meaning to give them a clean-up for a while now having recently bought a bench grinder to which I’ve fitted a wire and polishing wheels. I don’t mind too much about them discolouring, it’s more the rust on the front header.

xxx back.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
JMo

I know Julie bought one of those polishing mop sets (wheels and paste) that you use with a drill, and got excellent results...

Looking forward to seeing your hard work!

xxx
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
I know Julie bought one of those polishing mop sets (wheels and paste) that you use with a drill, and got excellent results...

Looking forward to seeing your hard work!

xxx
I will be without the bike for a couple of weeks while its wheels are powder-coated white (to go with the white Capirex stripe) and some new tyres, sprockets and a service etc, so when it’s back and I’ve polished the exhaust I’ll post some pictures up.

(I/we’ve high jacked this post a little haven’t we)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
JMo

Quote:
(I/we’ve high jacked this post a little haven’t we)
Hee hee - totally!

But then it's all about inspiration for others to get on and customise their bikes?

xxx
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #21
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy View Post
Looks great. Apart from the obvious with the added disc more stopping power what benifets do you get from putting 900 forks on the bike? Reason i ask as they might be longer than the standard 600's?? as i am a over 6ft this could be a mod worth doing for myself.
The 900 forks are dimensionally identical, they just happened to have the caliper mount on both legs where the originals only had the left hand mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Dave View Post
Ped, i like the bike, photo skills are a bit faded but anyway, where did you get the decorative exhaust collars - me likey and fancy a pair.
They're made by MPL in Germany, found them on Fleabay

Quote:
Pedro I was considering cleaning/polishing up my exhaust on my 620, although they’re discoloured and a bit rusty I thought they were copper coloured underneath, do you think mine are silver coloured like yours? - If so I’ll definitely give them a clean up now.
As Jen has said, all monster exhausts are polishable - it's just that the grade of stainless steel is pretty poor and discolours quickly. If yours are very badly discoloured, you may want to send them for professional polishing - it took a week for me to do my 900 pipes with a drill based polishing set. The Sil Moto system on my 1000 took no time, my old man has a really good polishing wheel on his lathe and it took my about 45 minutes to do the lot!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
As Jen has said, all monster exhausts are polishable - it's just that the grade of stainless steel is pretty poor and discolours quickly. If yours are very badly discoloured, you may want to send them for professional polishing - it took a week for me to do my 900 pipes with a drill based polishing set. The Sil Moto system on my 1000 took no time, my old man has a really good polishing wheel on his lathe and it took my about 45 minutes to do the lot!
Thanks, I have a Bench Grinder/Polisher so will give them a go on that.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
forresterone

Well done Pedro....you and jules have officially got the cleaniest set of monsters in the whole of wiltshire.....nice job....dont think my 696 was that clean out of the showroom....
Cheers jeff
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #24
Jules

After a busy day whizzy around the south west at warp speed supervising a team of nine consultants its very theraputic to spend time with a tooth brush, lots of quality wurth brake cleaner (no names mentioned), and lots of polishing cloths. My Thanks goes to Pedro for all his help and answers to most of my annoying questions. Looking forward to Arrow Mill for a decent spin out and see all the other shiny monsters.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #25
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
looking good pedro/ jules, wen we gunna see them, soon i hope
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #26
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris yeatman View Post
looking good pedro/ jules, wen we gunna see them, soon i hope
MOT's on friday, should be out an about saturday, might nip down to Rapido for a bit
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #27
gremlin

SS forks also fit to do the twin disc mod, which is how I did mine. Gives you two bites at the cherry so to speak!
It's looking good, but you've made a rod for your own back making it so lovely and shiny, every time it goes out you'll feel obliged to polish it for hours after.

Last edited by gremlin; 02-04-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #28
giler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro View Post
mot's On Friday, Should Be Out An About Saturday, Might Nip Down To Rapido For A Bit
Good Luck - You Seen The Forecast Saturday?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #29
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giler View Post
Good Luck - You Seen The Forecast Saturday?
Yeah, change of plans, if it's nice and they both pass their MOT, we're gonna head over to Foxes on Sunday if anyone else is about
Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #30
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
ok, guess i am gunna get wet for my mot then