UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » 2017 M1200 quickshifter

Old 21-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by whostheduke View Post

Good point re not learning if you always rely on rider aids. The chance of a failure is pretty minor though so that's less of a consideration. Going from a new bike to an older bike though means you need to keep your wits about you!
You missed the very important bit I posted.

Failure does not need to be mechanical.

If you learn to brake without ABS you will know what to do when road is slippery.
Under normal circumstances when you are just braking with no real rush ABS will help you in such conditions if wheel locks up.

However if road is proper slippery your ABS will not work as intended as while front wheel will not lock up it will also not brake. What will you do then?
No amount of tech aid can help you there and you did not learn the skill as from day one you used ABS.

Like any tech you need to learn how to use it not learn to depend on it!

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
The Bike Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
I got bored replying to points that aren't in reply to my question
Old 21-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
what's an autoblipper?
Old 21-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #19
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithredbike View Post
what's an autoblipper?
When you downshift it 'blips' the throttle to sync the engine speed with road speed for you so that you don't have to.

My car does stuff like this (in 'playstation' mode) and I like it but, for me part of the fun of riding bikes is doing it myself.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #20
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
When you downshift it 'blips' the throttle to sync the engine speed with road speed for you so that you don't have to.

My car does stuff like this (in 'playstation' mode) and I like it but, for me part of the fun of riding bikes is doing it myself.
That's my sentiment exactly and that's part of why I love old bikes. You've got a Le Mans haven't you? I have my Mirage, so I think were kind of in the same place.

I suppose it was shortsighted of me to think that everyone wants the same biking experiences as I do in that rspect. On the other hand I do appreciate new tech stuff on bikes and would love a Panigale or maybe a 1200R, so I can play around the autoblipper and other stuff like the electronic Ohlins! Sadly I can neither afford or justify one. Still doesn't stop me wanting one though!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #21
MarkF

The 1200R doesn't have auto blipper or electronic suspension, if it does please someone tell me how it works

It does have electronic FBW throttle, hydraulic clutch, ABS and TC, fuel injection, water cooling and probably lots of other stuff, but as I am unused to TC and ABS I just ride it as if it doesn't have it TBH, if I had a QS I would probably throttle off anyway as a reflex action when I changed gear

But not putting a dampers on the OP, go enjoy it the only caveat is its the stopping not the fast bit that hurts I am sure you realise that though. Lots of us Dinosaurs about
Old 21-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I think that's one of the problems with a lot of this new tech, you need to unlearn all the things you've learned that are second nature, most of the time you have to concentrate so much on actually staying safe you rely on instinct for machine control so you kind of forget that you have it. It took me a while to get used to a slipper clutch and was strange at first but it takes time to adapt to it and you learn at the same time with one, because you can feel it working.

Stuff like FBW sounds like a lot of fun and the launch control from the XDiavel sounds like a hoot, but again it would feel unnatural to pin the throttle and dump the clutch and not expect to end up in hospital.

Old 22-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #23
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I think that's one of the problems with a lot of this new tech, you need to unlearn all the things you've learned that are second nature, most of the time you have to concentrate so much on actually staying safe you rely on instinct for machine control so you kind of forget that you have it. It took me a while to get used to a slipper clutch and was strange at first but it takes time to adapt to it and you learn at the same time with one, because you can feel it working.

Stuff like FBW sounds like a lot of fun and the launch control from the XDiavel sounds like a hoot, but again it would feel unnatural to pin the throttle and dump the clutch and not expect to end up in hospital.
I still do not like slipper clutch, I like my ass to fish tail

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
I still do not like slipper clutch, I like my ass to fish tail
I can get the tail of my 12R wagging, no problem! Yes it has a slipper but I still feed the clutch in by hand.

As Mark F says, it has all the modern stuff, but I ride it like any other bike I've owned, albeit probably faster, the ABS & TC are nice to have in the background if it goes pear shaped and switchable power maps make it a little more sane when conditions are sh*te! The electronics behind the engine are sublime, the fuelling and throttle response are waaaaaaay better than any carb'd bike I've ridden, I really can't fault it

I'd disagree about having to unlearn stuff, I reckon this bike has improved my riding, I'm still riding as I've done before but the fact the electronics make the motor so good and having the peace of mind that there are some safety nets with the ABS &TC in the background allows me to focus on doing stuff properly.

Best bike I've ridden on the road in 30 years

Ped
V happy 12R owner

Last edited by Pedro; 22-04-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #25
slob

When I briefly tried a Panigale S on track, I was so busy trying to hang on to the ******* I completely forgot to try the QS/blipper. I rarely use the clutch for up shifts while pushing on anyway. The active suspension is the strangest thing on that bike.

The 1200R doesn't have a QS and won't get one as the electronics come from a different path to the 2017 S. As Pedro says the ride by wire on the R is sublime.

The XDiavel launch control is barking mad, the first person I saw try it stalled because as suggested above, all their instincts said the bike would flip if they did what was required.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #26
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:

Failure does not need to be mechanical.

If you learn to brake without ABS you will know what to do when road is slippery.
Under normal circumstances when you are just braking with no real rush ABS will help you in such conditions if wheel locks up.

However if road is proper slippery your ABS will not work as intended as while front wheel will not lock up it will also not brake. What will you do then?
No amount of tech aid can help you there and you did not learn the skill as from day one you used ABS.

Like any tech you need to learn how to use it not learn to depend on it!
To be honest most people don't learn that stuff until it happens for real anyway, and then driver aids or not, it's not the ideal time! If you want the ideal time you need a training course to replicate those situations in a safer environment where the chances of an lorry turning you hoseable are lower. Failing that I'll have the tech. I've hit the ABS far far more times in situations where it has stopped me probably quicker than I would have stopped without. True it's a stain maker when you hit it on ice or wet cobbles :

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #27
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I rode 2 up on ice and snow once to take my g/f home on my trusty Kwaka Z550. We did 20 odd miles no problem on the main A road, taking it steady and then I turned off the main road did about 100yards and blam! the bike just folded and went down without any warning and doing nothing, no braking or nothing just slammed us both down at about 25-30mph. It caught me by surprise as I thought I had control of the bike having been ok up until that point and faster speeds.

Suffice to say I don't ride in ice or snow anymore at least not 2 up, although I did have to ride my BM K100 solo in snow one morning, it was very slippery but no problems but I just couldn't get the last incident out of mind expecting to go down at any time without any warning. Not fun at all even with ABS or TC.

Old 24-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #28
LTDUK

The DQS available as an accessory on the standard Monster 1200 is the same system as on the S model. It does have the auto blipper when you go down gears (and is very fun I may add).
Old 24-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
The Bike Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDUK View Post
The DQS available as an accessory on the standard Monster 1200 is the same system as on the S model. It does have the auto blipper when you go down gears (and is very fun I may add).
F***ing brilliant!
Old 25-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #30
The Bike Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDUK View Post
How do you know that by the way? Do you have one?