UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Monster 400 2001 wiring diagram

Old 18-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Monster 400 2001 wiring diagram

Hi all

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2001 Monster 400?
Or can confirm it’s exactly the same as a 2001 Monster 600?

Nasher.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
https://carlsalter.com/ducati-service-manuals.asp

there's year 2000 owners manual for 400 here https://carlsalter.com/ducati-service-manuals.asp
wiring diagram at the back
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Nasher

I found that site last night, but when I try to download any manual it doesn't give me a verification code to type in.

The notes suggest that's because of a copyright claim.

Last edited by Nasher; 18-05-2018 at 07:56 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
slob

Weird, I had no problem... just ticked 'i am not a robot'. pm sent
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Kato
Dismantled

Simon you can be pretty certain that the WD is same as 600, looms are the same across the range, just some plugs are not used for base models, plus the 400 was just a very short stroke 600, just be aware that wire colors do not always correspond with what Ducati say...

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Nasher

Slob, will PM back in a bit.

Thanks Kato, just really need to confirm my believe that the 2001 M400 was on Carbs and used IC Ignitors the same as the bigger Carby bikes.

Nasher
Old 18-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Nasher

I should explain.
Trawling Ebay yesterday when I should have been working, an Electronic Tacho from a 2001 Monster 400 popped up at a very reasonable BIN price.
From the images it looks identical, except for having an oil light, to the CEV Tacho that was on my Carby 900 when I brought it as part of the DP upgrade kit.
I sold the DP kit on because I preferred the look of the original Dash.

Now as a lot on here will know, the electronic tachos from later Ducatis will not work on an old carby Monster or SS, because the signal from the IC Ignitors is not the same as that generated by the ECU on a later bike running Fuel Injection.

I’ve searched this morning and found a pdf parts manual for a 2001 M400.
It shows the 2001 400 on carbs, using the same IC ignitors etc as the carburated 600, 750, and 900, but also with an Electronic tacho incorporating an Oil Light.
So, the tacho I’ve taken a punt on should/must run from the ignitors and be the same as the DP ones that are so rare.

I love the look of the original dash, and if I can get it to work might drop the tacho in the dash where the speedo currently is and use a small digital speedo/dash like an acewell where the original idiot lights are, keeping the original shape.

Nasher.
Old 18-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I should explain.
Trawling Ebay yesterday when I should have been working, an Electronic Tacho from a 2001 Monster 400 popped up at a very reasonable BIN price.
From the images it looks identical, except for having an oil light, to the CEV Tacho that was on my Carby 900 when I brought it as part of the DP upgrade kit.

Now as a lot on here will know, the electronic tachos from later Ducatis will not work on an old carby Monster or SS, because the signal from the IC Ignitors is not the same as that generated by the ECU on a later bike running Fuel Injection.

It shows the 2001 400 on carbs, using the same IC ignitors etc as the carburated 600, 750, and 900, but also with an Electronic tacho incorporating an Oil Light.
So, the tacho I’ve taken a punt on should/must run from the ignitors and be the same as the DP ones that are so rare.

I love the look of the original dash, and if I can get it to work might drop the tacho in the dash where the speedo currently is and use a small digital speedo/dash like an acewell where the original idiot lights are, keeping the original shape.

Nasher.
Why won't the tacho's work?

Is it that they only read half speed? Is it because of "Wasted spark?

When I put single fire ignition on one of my Harleys years ago, I had the same issue. This is easily resolved by putting two small 1/4 watt diodes in the signal line to the tacho.
Old 18-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
Dukedesmo

Quote:
just really need to confirm my believe that the 2001 M400 was on Carbs and used IC Ignitors the same as the bigger Carby bikes.
Pretty sure there never was a fuel injected version of either the 400 or 600 but I seem to recall something about the ignitors being a slightly different model on the smaller engines?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Nasher

There's been several discussions on here about it.

The ECU gives a different signal to the IC ignitors, I don't know what the difference is, but somebody explained it a couple of months back.

In my case the needle of the 996 Tacho I connected to the IC ignitors on my M900 flapped around over the whole range for a bit then stopped and was completely dead.

Nasher.
Old 18-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Pretty sure there never was a fuel injected version of either the 400 or 600 but I seem to recall something about the ignitors being a slightly different model on the smaller engines?
Ah, need to check the ignitors then, but their output pulse will probably be the same as the bigger bikes.

Nasher.
Old 18-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post

Is it that they only read half speed? Is it because of "Wasted spark?
Injected engines only fire on the compression stroke as the pickup is on the gear for the cam layshaft which runs at half engine speed, the old Monster/SS fires every TDC (as you say 'wasted spark') because the pickups are on the crankshaft.

I have a Translogic dash on both my Monster and 916 and they need to be on different settings for the rev counter due to the Monster giving twice the pulses per revolution.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
I should explain.

Nasher.
OK so the answer is all 400's up to cease of production 2003 were on carbs with igniters as you have found

The 400 was then resurrected 2005/6 and produced for 1yr only with injection

Hope that helps

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
OK so the answer is all 400's up to cease of production 2003 were on carbs with igniters as you have found

The 400 was then resurrected 2005/6 and produced for 1yr only with injection

Hope that helps
Cheers
Old 20-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
jerry
Old Git

a certain ducati dealer ripped me off for £225 when i ordered a new tacho for my S4 2001

thet sent me one for a 2003 model but it wont work as the 2001 model is unique and has different wiring , they wont refund the mistake and i have been quoted by them £585 for the correct item ,,will never use that dealer in London again