UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 1100 Evo remap

Old 29-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
1100 Evo remap

I need to sort the fueling on my Evo, particularly low down. I don't care about extra power but want to smooth it all out. I had the old S2R1000 done at BSD in Peterborough and it was a revelation!

I found a few old threads here suggesting cornerspeed do a similar service and even offer a reflash by post. My question is... Does the cornerspeed service just get me 90% of the way there while a BSD map custom tweaked to my bike is the missing link? Is there much difference in reality? From memory the custom map was twice the price, needs me to take a full day to get it there, worked on, and get home etc. Is the cornerspeed postal proposition really that good if they don't even hook your bike up to a Dyno?
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Uncle Bob

From my own research on this it would appear that the results of the postal reflash service vary, however it's probably fair to say that for most people 90% of the way there is probably true, myself included. It made a big difference to my bike, but it's still not quite there. Next for me is a 14T front sprocket, which again for some people was the final little ingredient. Others have goe even further.

I wouldn't imagine many people have tried the postal reflash AND a custom map on the same bike, and that's the key point to your question really. You pay your money, you take your choice.

There's a load of information about it on here, you just have to trawl through it.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Luddite

I had a full custom map on my old S2R 1000 and I've had the Rexxer map for over three years now on my Evo. Comparing the two, I'd say the reflash was 95% as effective as the custom map.

The majority of the Evo's problems stem from the noise/emissions restrictions; remove those, (which the Rexxer reflash does), and you're over half way there. Another factor is the lean fuelling low down, (which even the DP Termi ECU still has - certainly for the homologated system). Again, the Rexxer reflash addresses this.

Yes, the reflash is 'off the shelf' and not bespoke but then you could say the same about any stock map - the factory don't dyno each individual machine, they just copy and flash the map from the original development bike.

Rexxer offer two maps; one for standard and one for slip-on + performance air filter. They will have developed the map using an actual bike on a dyno and you're just getting a copy of that map. As long as your bike doesn't differ dramatically from the Rexxer examples, the results should be pretty close to a custom map.

Considering the benefits against the cost, convenience and the ease of carrying out the change, I'd say it's the one mod you should definitely do.

Have a look at Chris.p's detailed report on his experience. It was after reading this that I decided to have my Evo done.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50780

Note that the lumpy low speed running is not wholly down to emissions and fuelling - the lightweight flywheel also plays a part, but that's another story!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54450
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
What Luddite said ^^^^^^
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
rollo22

Had my EVO reflashed by DWR and it removed all the low rev lumps and bumps and improved the power delivery.
As they say its either by
Post and no aggro of getting the bike to workshop. (but still have to remove tank)
Or a full treatment and off to the workshop.
Old 30-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
I had mine done by DWR too. my 796. was night and day difference.

I am sure the by post option is good, but if you take it to a workshop then they will do multiple dyno runs to work out the best map for the bike.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
steeevvvooo

Cheers guys. Bike is in bits (that often doesn't end well with me but don't worry, I know how to get this far ). I went under the tank to check if I had a k&n (I don't, so will order one) and saw the ECU just sitting there...

ECU is now off and I spoke to Neil at cornerspeed this afternoon. Postal service is about £250, whereas BSD custom remap is £450. Honestly I don't think the cost is bad for either, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the schlep of ~250 miles round trip, on uninspiring roads, in November, to eek out a small marginal difference of a custom map. Posting the ECU for 90-95% of the job and about half the price sounds appealing. Testimony from people here gives me comfort in the Cornerspeed option.

Problem is I was very happy with the BSD map on the S2R1000. I think I will order a k&n and while I wait decide whether to post the ECU or postpone the whole thing until spring and take it to BSD.
Old 30-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
...Bike is in bits ...
Have you hidden the frame better this time?
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
steeevvvooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
Have you hidden the frame better this time?

I wonder where that frame ended up.
Old 30-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
If you head up to BSD springtime, drop me a pm, I live near by, your welcome to drop in for a cuppa.
Ignore my location on the advitar I'm in Peterborough these days.
Old 30-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #11
steeevvvooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you head up to BSD springtime, drop me a pm, I live near by, your welcome to drop in for a cuppa.
Ignore my location on the advitar I'm in Peterborough these days.
Cheers mate. Will do
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
steeevvvooo

Update... I went for the cornerspeed postal option. Posted Friday second class, Neil confirmed receipt Monday morning and by lunchtime it was done! It didn't get posted back immediately as I didn't pay him until Tuesday morning and it was back on my bike Wednesday lunch time.

Have to say I'm very happy with both the service and the result. I would say it is 95% of the custom remap I had on my S2R1000 for about 50% of the price. Plus it saved me a full day and a 230 mile/4.5hr return schlep and half a day waiting around.

There is a tiny bit of surging left on steady throttle at 30mph but it is not all the time and barely noticeable. I can hold any of the first four years steady at 30-40mph and it picks up smoothly. From memory the S2R had the same characteristics and this is a big twin after all not a 600 IL4. A smaller front sprocket or maybe just more miles and I'm sure that will disappear. Honestly though it's like riding a new bike!

I think I'll try and get a dyno session at some point (maybe spring now) just to see how close the fuelling is to optimal.

Last edited by steeevvvooo; 06-11-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Uncle Bob

This is similar to what I found, initially. It actually got a bit better after probably two or three hundred miles (I wasn't paying much attention to mileage) but then the old 'stock' bad fuelling symptoms returned? That stuck with me for another hundred or so miles, at a guess, then, weirdly, after mid-ride stop off for some photos one day it suddenly started behaving itself again?!

Now then, I'm not saying that this was necessarily to do with the remap, I don't actually know what caused it, but I'm happy to say that it's back to being 'improved over stock but not perfect' again.

If you put a 14t sprocket on it I'd be interested to hear what you think about it then.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

If you put a 14t sprocket on it I'd be interested to hear what you think about it then.
From further up the thread, my report is done with a 14th front sprocket.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50780
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
Luddite

Glad you've seen an improvement, Steve, and you can't fault Neil's customer service can you?

Your situation mirrors my own, in that you're coming from a custom-mapped S2R to a stock Evo. And your observations following the remap reflect my experience too.

Lowering the gearing will improve matters further and also make sixth gear useable, rather than the virtual 'overdrive' it is on stock sprockets.

Also don't forget that the S2R is twin spark and its flywheel is twice the weight of the Evo's; both factors that will allow the S2R to run better at low, steady, speeds than the Evo.

You may well find that it improves further over the next couple of hundred miles as the ECU relearns the autoadaptive parameters.

Enjoy your 'new' Evo!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote