UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Third Monster, first in the UK

Old 22-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Third Monster, first in the UK

Hello

Joining up as I've just purchased Frankenstein's Monster (hence the username) - a '94 M600 fully converted to an M900, with a whole lot of custom bits and a silly airbrushed paint job. I suspect it may even have the motor from an SS in it, judging by how hard it pulls!

This is my third Monster, but my first since moving to the UK from NZ - previously I had a '99 M900, which was killed by an inattentive motorist, followed by an '05 S2R800. I liked the M900 better of the two.

After having ridden my new acquisition to work a few times this week, I discovered that the RR is toast after the battery finally lost its charge. Fortunately the bike was a bargain...

I'll get it charging again (dodgy £25 ebay special arrives later this week/early next week) and get as much riding in as possible before the weather closes in for winter (unless we have a repeat of last winter, which didn't really arrive in Scotland).
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Welcome aboard!
Old 22-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
Hello

Joining up as I've just purchased Frankenstein's Monster (hence the username) - a '94 M600 fully converted to an M900, with a whole lot of custom bits and a silly airbrushed paint job. I suspect it may even have the motor from an SS in it, judging by how hard it pulls!

This is my third Monster, but my first since moving to the UK from NZ - previously I had a '99 M900, which was killed by an inattentive motorist, followed by an '05 S2R800. I liked the M900 better of the two.

After having ridden my new acquisition to work a few times this week, I discovered that the RR is toast after the battery finally lost its charge. Fortunately the bike was a bargain...

I'll get it charging again (dodgy £25 ebay special arrives later this week/early next week) and get as much riding in as possible before the weather closes in for winter (unless we have a repeat of last winter, which didn't really arrive in Scotland).
Where's the pics then? Use postimage.com
Old 22-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
FrankenDesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Where's the pics then? Use postimage.com
Fair call.

So I was thinking gloss black with the Ducati twin-line logo in gold (and a smaller twin-line Desmo on the rear of the seat cover). I cannot abide the current look. It even says 'Monsterio' on the tail - what the heck!? It's Il Mostro! Not Monsterio!
Old 22-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
What Jez said about pictures... We love them.

Regarding the RR. Unfortunately it's a common problem on most bikes fitted with them. The frying syndrome is caused by poor connections in the three, or two yellow cables coming up from the alternator to the RR.
These cables demand a low resistance route all the way through or heat builds up, which kills the RR and often melts the cables too.

Make sure your yellow cables are not melted or degraded in any way, then make the best connections to the new RR that you can. Some folks hard wire them, others use superseal connectors. I use soldered on Gold bullet connectors available from model shops for radio controlled electric models, which I then protect with heatshrink.

I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions for the best way to achieve a proper weather proof low resistance connection.. Take your pick but don't skimp on it.
Old 22-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Paint job is a bit marmite, but you're right about Il Mostro.

I like the wheels and there's an interesting modified exhaust system too.
Just look at the billet hoop though.. Very expensive!!

Nice find..

Congratulations on a four bin shot too..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 22-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: noticed the bins.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
FrankenDesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
What Jez said about pictures... We love them.

Regarding the RR. Unfortunately it's a common problem on most bikes fitted with them. The frying syndrome is caused by poor connections in the three, or two yellow cables coming up from the alternator to the RR.
These cables demand a low resistance route all the way through or heat builds up, which kills the RR and often melts the cables too.

Make sure your yellow cables are not melted or degraded in any way, then make the best connections to the new RR that you can. Some folks hard wire them, others use superseal connectors. I use soldered on Gold bullet connectors available from model shops for radio controlled electric models, which I then protect with heatshrink.

I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions for the best way to achieve a proper weather proof low resistance connection.. Take your pick but don't skimp on it.
Aye, I've had this problem before - I can't remember if it was my first M900 or the GSXR600K1 that came before it. Whichever it was, the shop put me on to the Shendengen unit as a replacement, which is what I intend to do long term but for now just need a replacement to get her going again (though I will be getting a hold of a multimeter and following Kato's excellent troubleshooting instructions).

Ducati Glasgow said it's either the generator or the RR but they can't tell if it's the generator if the RR is also fried, which now seems odd to me after seeing Kato's post (and the glowing reviews most people give to Ducati Glasgow), but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go back for any other work I can't feasibly do myself (it helps that they're a very short walk from work).

Another part of the reason for leaving the final solution is that I'm fairly sure the starter circuit is exhibiting its common problem as well and needs a cable upgrade (possibly the terminals on the starter motor need replacing too, but I have yet to give it a good look). At the moment it's a lottery as to whether or not she'll crank when you press the button...

So my intention is to get the cash together over the part of the winter where I'm riding less and sort out the RR & Starter together.
Old 22-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
FrankenDesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Paint job is a bit marmite, but you're right about Il Mostro.

I like the wheels and there's an interesting modified exhaust system too.
Just look at the billet hoop though.. Very expensive!!

Nice find..
Someone has spent a bucketload of cash on this bike - converting it to a 900 and then adding all the trick bits. Fairly sure the exhaust is titanium, there's also the rear sets, the brake master cylinder, all the brake/clutch/engine lines have been replaced with new braided ones, wavy rotors, tail chop - it's got all the mods done that I'd want and then some!

For it to be totally perfect for me, it really boils down to:
- Headlight
- Bar end mirrors
- Paint job (I'll get the CF bit's re-lacquered at the same time so its all shiny shiny)

This bike was a steal - had been up on ebay for 2800, then it was down to 2500, then 2200, then suddenly 1800! At that point I rented a van and drove down to Cheltenham last Saturday to pick her up - 12 hours of driving (back in Glasgow that night), 100% worth it!
Old 23-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
You can get decent beefed up starter and earth cables for Halfords in various lengths.

Have you got a painter in Glasgow? If not I can recommend a guy based out in Strathaven who did an excellent job on my tank recently.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome to the madhouse
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Hello and welcome. I like the blue colour.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum FrankenDesmo, I like the blue but not the grafix.
Old 23-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Welcome to the forum FrankenDesmo, I like the blue but not the grafix.
Ditto, but welcome aboard Frank.
Old 23-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
As others have said nice blue colour but graphic too busy! I would go for black too though (black over metallic gold with gold stripe) and keep the design classic/simple.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Bonjour from the Froggy side of UKMOC