UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Not Such A Good Day :(

Old 26-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
Percymama

Bike: M1200
EML On Monster 1200 TPS? (SOLVED)

Hey Guys

Well my story gets worse by the day here :/

After buying my 2015 monster 1200 a few weeks ago, then finding out the seller was a lying sack of crap (forged service record)

I was seriously considering selling the bike on!

But I really like it, so decided to keep going with it, even though next March I now need to get the Desmo service done

Nice ride out yesterday, all was well, and decided to go back out again today, all was fine and I filled up the tank with Shell V Power petrol and headed off, after around 15 Miles, the bloody engine management light comes on and the bike goes into limp mode (if it has the ability?)

If I had to guess I would say spark plug or coil pack by the way it's running?

Is there any way to be certain?

And really WTF! 4 Years old and 3500 Miles then this happens???

And advise greatly appreciated guys

Last edited by Percymama; 26-08-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Percymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That sucks! Is the dash showing any error messages?

Amir had a similar unexplained engine light recently on his 1200R, which reset itself. Have a look here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=57656
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Percymama

The only thing on the dash is on the lower left that just says "Engine!" in a Red block? no code that I can see,

I will take a look at the link above thanks
Old 26-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymama View Post
Hey Guys

Well my story gets worse by the day here :/

After buying my 2015 monster 1200 a few weeks ago, then finding out the seller was a lying sack of crap (forged service record)

I was seriously considering selling the bike on!

But I really like it, so decided to keep going with it, even though next March I now need to get the Desmo service done

Nice ride out yesterday, all was well, and decided to go back out again today, all was fine and I filled up the tank with Shell V Power petrol and headed off, after around 15 Miles, the bloody engine management light comes on and the bike goes into limp mode (if it has the ability?)

If I had to guess I would say spark plug or coil pack by the way it's running?

Is there any way to be certain?

And really WTF! 4 Years old and 3500 Miles then this happens???

And advise greatly appreciated guys
I haven't any repair advice, but I hope it turns out to be a small issue and easily fixed.
Old 26-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Percymama

Well I took the Earth lead off the battery for 30 mins in a vain hope that would reset the EML

But still there, and it seems it can be any One of 15 things

I did take off the spark plug leads, and it still started and ran as normal? (as it did with the EML on and in limp mode) so that didn't answer any questions either

So it looks like a trip to the Stealer

Can't believe I finally managed to save up for a modern bike with low Miles, and the bastard still break on me lol
Old 26-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
Percymama

OK small update after messing around for an hour

I think it's the TPS at fault here?

As when I bought the bike the seller told me he only rode it in "Urban" mode as it was too brutal in "Sport"

So I thought ok lets change it back to Urban again, and when I try to do that, it comes up on the dash "Close Throttle" so I'm assuming that means the ECU can't see the throttle is closed already?

Hence my thinking it's the TPS?

Anyone care to comment?

(forgot to mention - the Red lights on the Rev counter also now flash at around 4000rpm which can't be right?)

Last edited by Percymama; 26-08-2019 at 02:13 PM..
Old 26-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Luddite

On my Evo, you can reset the TPS by starting the engine from cold without touching the throttle and leaving it to run until three bars appear on the temperature gauge, then switching off. I don't know what the equivalent is for the 1200, (assuming there is one), but Amir ran his up to 90° without touching the throttle and it cleared, so maybe try that?
Old 26-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Percymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
On my Evo, you can reset the TPS by starting the engine from cold without touching the throttle and leaving it to run until three bars appear on the temperature gauge, then switching off. I don't know what the equivalent is for the 1200, (assuming there is one), but Amir ran his up to 90° without touching the throttle and it cleared, so maybe try that?
Fxxing awesome!

Finally tried that up to temp, back down to cold, then back up to temp method, and no more EML on my dash!

I love it when something so simple sorts things out

Thanks guys for all your input - my day just got a whole lot better

(Have put her back into Urban mode now just in case that caused the issue lol)
Old 26-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Luddite

Great news!
Old 26-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Glad you got it sorted.
I’d try each mode in turn.
Demanding a shut throttle is normal if you change modes on the move, since each mode uses a different TPS map.
Your diagnosis seems logical though.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Luddite

Just a quick thought; as you've disconnected the battery, your ECU may have lost its 'auto adaptive parameters' (have a look here for more details - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55198).

If that happens, then it may manifest itself as rough running at lower speeds and you may find that the tickover hangs at around 2k for a couple of seconds before dropping to normal. Don't worry if this happens; the self-learning part of the ECU will sort it out within a couple of hundred miles or so.

No one seems to know how long the ECU can hang on to this information after being disconnected from the battery; it could be minutes or hours but I thought I'd mention it in case you feel any difference when you ride it again.
Old 26-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
Percymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Just a quick thought; as you've disconnected the battery, your ECU may have lost its 'auto adaptive parameters' (have a look here for more details - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55198).

If that happens, then it may manifest itself as rough running at lower speeds and you may find that the tickover hangs at around 2k for a couple of seconds before dropping to normal. Don't worry if this happens; the self-learning part of the ECU will sort it out within a couple of hundred miles or so.

No one seems to know how long the ECU can hang on to this information after being disconnected from the battery; it could be minutes or hours but I thought I'd mention it in case you feel any difference when you ride it again.
Many Thanks
Old 26-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Desmo service is 18k miles on the 1200’s but you might need belts after five years, much cheaper!

Ref Luddite’s comments about auto adapt, I’ve had the battery off my 1200R in the last couple of weeks, no running issues afterwards - that said the R uses a different ECU
Old 27-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Sometimes a bike just throws a ****ty, spits its dummy and shows the mil light but if there is no fault it will reset itself after three start/heat cycles so if it happens again just start it up three times after letting it cool fully in between. If it still shows a fault then it really has one.