UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Headlamp Adapter Rings

Old 13-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #106
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Yes BURN plenty of black ring kits available for immediate dispatch.

As it happens I just sold one to my first US customer today... The VP of the New York DOC no less..
Old 21-10-2020, 03:47 AM   #107
sandromxp

Gary thanks! Sandro from the Desmo DOC in New York and New Jersey. It’s in customs now and hopefully get it by the end of the week. Unfortunately the S2R has a plastic headlight bucket so I’m going to switch it out with my 750 monster one. I’ll let you know how I make out with it.
Old 21-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #108
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Hello Sandro and welcome to these pages, glad you made it..

Sorry your adapter is taking so long to reach you! They have never been across the Atlantic before, so they're still learning the route!

Frustrating that your S2R has a plastic shell. It sounds very similar to the one fitted to the Sports Classic, which is a different size again to the Bosch, but still not 7".

Have any other S#R owners got plastic headlamps? I'm just wondering if these were fitted as standard to the S#R range? It would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 21-10-2020 at 09:11 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #109
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
My old 05 S2R800 had a plastic headlamp... And tank. Plastic everything. I wasn't a fan.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #110
uncle duke

Bike: S2r 1000
Yep nasty & plastic on the S2R
uncle duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #111
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Okay thanks for the info chaps. Looks like Sandro is not only my first US customer, but also my first S2R customer.

I will make the difference clear on the first post here. Might even think about another ring design, although folk don't seem to complain about S2R lights as yet?
Old 21-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #112
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Close but not close enough

I have one of your rings on my S2R still looks as good as when it was fitted, and yes everything is plastic except the engine paint which is possibly made of thinned and coloured Stracciatella but doesn't stick as well.

Edit... The lights are appalling, first time out in the dark which was when I picked up the bike I couldn't see where I was going on the dark back roads, well I could but only for about 30 feet ahead which made the ride a bit interesting.
Comparing this to a 40 year old 6V widecase 350 scrambler (my new toy) I'd say they were nearly comparable !!

Last edited by Nickj; 21-10-2020 at 09:46 AM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #113
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you Nick, that's very interesting.
So it seems that possibly two types of plastic headlamp could be fitted?
There is clearly a 186mm version using the metal Bosch rim and beloved light unit Which would appear to be compatible with the adapter ring. As on Nick's.

I also know of a plastic shell used on the Sports Classic, which is a different size again.
I think this employs a different light retaining method for the light using screws rather than clips. Two (or three?) of these screws hold the rim assembly to the shell through the side of the shell.
These are the rouge ones that I would like to identify and establish if they were ever fitted as standard to any of the Monsters (S2R?)

Would any of you decent chaps mind looking for the screws in the side and measuring the diameter of the lens from the front We're looking for 186mm or something different.

Thank you.
Old 21-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #114
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi Sandro

welcome to the forum

Rob
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #115
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Looks like we've been here before but assumed that some previous owner had fitted a Sports Classic headlamp to an S2R.
Slob alludes to the part number for the shell being for S2R and SC1000 in post#2.
Would it be reasonable to assume that this odd headlamp became a standard part across the range when the SC came out?.. And why replace an already bizarre headlamp with something even weirder?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ntify+headlamp
Old 21-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #116
slob

“standard” ?!

that’s not necessarily how the factory used to operate,
I’m not sure you can assume anything ;-)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 05:38 PM   #117
sandromxp

Thanks Rob! I wish I came on board earlier! So far the best Monster information anywhere!

Sandro!
Old 21-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #118
sandromxp

Nick and Gary. Thanks! My ring is out of customs now should be here before the end of the week. Nick thanks for the heads up about it fitting. I have everything apart and going to see if it fits before I switch it for my other monsters headlight. I’ll let you know how I make out.
Old 22-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #119
jerry
Old Git

Ducati used to operate like BSA ,,,, Bits Stuck Anywhere or Best Scrap Available
Old 25-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #120
sandromxp

Plastic headlight bucket

I received Gary’s adapter and since I already had the headlight off the bike I tried to see if I could get it to work. Gary has warned me to be careful with it as someone had broken one. I bent the 3 tabs that held the old light in. I was able to get the adapter to go in easily and then tried the light which fit without any issues. At this point I was going to try to see if I could bend the tabs and use the square nuts that held the headlight in some way. I was able to bend them that I was able to get them to make contact with the light and it still had some play. I removed the nuts because I didn’t want to put too much pressure on the adapter. After some trial and error I was able to get the light so I didn’t have any movement and felt solid. I then tried it on the bike and went for a test ride since it was already dark at this point. I have to say the led headlight make a huge difference and it’s a solid light beam. I’m going to remove the light when I have some time in the next few days when I have time to go to a hardware store to see if I can find some acorn bolt nuts so I can use them instead of the square nuts do it will be a better connection. I’m also going to put a couple of beads of silicone to help stop water from getting in. I’ll post some photos once I get everything together. Thanks again to Gary for making these adapters!

Sandro