UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Yet Another M900 Build

Old 20-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #31
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If it's been Dynajetted to run with the open cans then the open airbox lid works best with the K&N and is recomnended. If you put the lid and standard cans back on it will most likely run too rich. It may be ok with the standard lid and open cans without changing anything but both probably not so much.
Yes, Nick mentioned that he didnt know whether it had been re-jetted to go with the K&N. We will see.
Old 20-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #32
the lodger

I will happily buy your airbox lid should you wish to sell it. Please let me know if you do.
Old 20-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #33
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
I will happily buy your airbox lid should you wish to sell it. Please let me know if you do.
Will do. At the moment, I am keeping my options open about how I do this build. One option is to undertake the full rebuild trying to find as near original replacements for anything that has been changed, but run it with the upgrades like the silencers and airbox/K&N filter, knowing I can make it OEM with no more than a couple of hours work.

One of the things that will irreversibly change the course of the project will be how I decide to refinish the engine. I see 3 options
  1. Vapour blast as Buzzer did ( Ive done this on both the Laverda and partially on the XR)
  2. Get the motor refinished in as near the same finish as OEM,( I havent found out what that was, yet.)
  3. Use get Sandwell to apply Xylan coating in grey, which should be very similar to OEM but be much more resiliant. (Which I have used on the XR and Im told by them is something they commonly do for Ducati owners.)
This is the XR motor finished in Vapour blast for the barrels, head and inner casings and Xylan Grey and Quartz for the casing covers.
https://flic.kr/p/2jXGReR
Old 21-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #34
Darkness

Found this whilst looking for something else

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...light=Silencer

Probably the original ‘95 silencers albeit shortened. Useful photo’s of the writing on them though.
Old 21-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #35
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Ah so they're Sil Motor ones? The correct Cagiva style font though. I would just restore it with the bits you have and then look to source more original bits for things like exhausts because finding nice ones now would be hard and that anodising on them will be hard to repair if they were scratched at all. I haven't seen any that have no major marks/scuffs etc on them.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #36
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Check the cylinder heads because the standard M900 at around that time had 750 heads and you want the bigger valve 900SS heads. So I wouldn't spend a lot on refurbing them until you confirm thaey are the best ones. It knocks a fair bit off the power, like 5 HP or something. You want the heads that are stamped V2!

Last edited by Darren69; 21-04-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Old 21-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #37
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Found this whilst looking for something else

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...light=Silencer

Probably the original ‘95 silencers albeit shortened. Useful photo’s of the writing on them though.
Useful, thanks. MR said they couyld be either Remus or Sil Motor. Those are the first Ive seen with Sil Motor in all my trawling.
Old 21-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #38
PPuxley

Quote:
Ah so they're Sil Motor ones? The correct Cagiva style font though. I would just restore it with the bits you have and then look to source more original bits for things like exhausts because finding nice ones now would be hard and that anodising on them will be hard to repair if they were scratched at all. I haven't seen any that have no major marks/scuffs etc on them.
Agree. The cans will be easy to change to OEM from the Sil Motor carbons it comes with, as and when a decent set of OEM crop up. I would only attempt to make a set of OEM cans good if I could get the casing off, strip it and then re-anodise. If I couldnt get it off then the polishing route is really the only way to go.
Old 21-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #39
PPuxley

Quote:
Check the cylinder heads because the standard M900 at around that time had 750 heads and you want the bigger valve 900SS heads. So I wouldn't spend a lot on refurbing them until you confirm thaey are the best ones. It knocks a fair bit off the power, like 5 HP or something. You want the heads that are stamped V2!
Noted. Ive just been going through Buzzers Build post and noting down post numbers etc I can go back to on a reference spreadsheet. This is another bit of info going on there, thanks .
Old 21-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #40
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I would recommend Ian Falloons 'Monster Bible' it's the Laverda Green book but without the servicing/maintenance aspect. All press photos and specifications but it gives a good insight into model development. It'[s not as good/detailed as his Supersport book but but they both have good info.

Last edited by Darren69; 21-04-2021 at 11:25 AM..
Old 21-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #41
Nasher

I have a really nice set of Standard M900 Cans on the M900 I'm trying to sell at the moment.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59070

I took my Remus Ducati Performance cans off it as I wanted to use them on my next project, but it's been mentioned by a couple of people enquiring about it that the standard cans don't go with the other mods.

What sort of condition are the Sil-moto cans in?
There could be an opportunity for a swap.

Nasher
Old 21-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #42
PPuxley

Quote:
I would recommend Ian Falloons 'Monster Bible' it's the Laverda Green book but without the servicing/maintenance aspect. All press photos and specifications but it gives a good insight into model development. It'[s not as good/detailed as his Supersport book but but they both have good info.
Yes, Ive been reading it. Just been looking at it re the big valves. According to the book they had the SS 900 valves even in the 93 version....or did they get even bigger than 43mm inlet/38mm Exhaust. See page 8 which is talking about the 93
Old 21-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #43
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I have a really nice set of Standard M900 Cans on the M900 I'm trying to sell at the moment.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59070

I took my Remus Ducati Performance cans off it as I wanted to use them on my next project, but it's been mentioned by a couple of people enquiring about it that the standard cans don't go with the other mods.

What sort of condition are the Sil-moto cans in?
There could be an opportunity for a swap.

Nasher
Hm, theres a thought. Cant answer that question yet, the bike has just been loaded in the van in Inverness. Just received this photo
Old 21-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #44
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
There's a bit more info. about the head markings here: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=584456

Also, if you're taking the engine apart, consider changing the head studs. Early ones are noted for being brittle and having a tendency to snap. More info. here from http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=560939

Post #808
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
I know early 900 Monsters/SS had problems with cylinder head studs breaking and that you can get improved studs. I am pretty sure my engine has never been apart before so I almost certainly have the “defective” studs.
Does anybody know if there is any way I can identify whether or not the studs I have are the old or new type?
Before I take the heads off I would like to order the studs if I need them, but obviously do not want to order the new improved studs if they are already in there.
Post #809
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
As far as I'm aware, the brittle ones are silver coloured and the stronger ones are black.
Post #810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
As well as the colour difference, as Utopia said, aren't they also identified by a code letter? I think it's 'M' for the old ones and 'O' for the new.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #45
PPuxley

All good info, thanks. Yes I know about the studs- the black ones will be going back in if theyre not there already.
Still not clear on the V2 big valve head, from the dates in that post No19, wouldnt all Monsters have a V head?

So Just to clear this up

W - 750/900 small valve Hemispherical combustion chamber OR/VR Cams
V - 900 big valve Bathtub combustion chamber OHT/VHT Cams

From january '92 up, all engines came with aluminum-bronze (replacing the cast iron)
valve guides and a "V" on the heads,

V1 revised valve seat
V2 had revised oil feed
Unsure when the crossover was but
V3 late injection 08J/V8J cams head is fully interchangeable with V,V1,V2

Some heads manufactured prior to 92 were revised at the factory so it does get confusing as its possible to have a 90/91 manufacturing date on a head that has 1992 spec

The cam id used is what they came out of the factory with don't take it as gospel as many people swapped 08J/V8J into earlier heads or if lucky you might find OHZ/VHZ (ST2) or GMO9/GMV9 (Ducati Performance)