UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Carbon/aluminium tank for S2R

Old 09-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
fim

Carbon/aluminium tank for S2R

Well, I think it's about time to replace the tank on my S2R since the swelling is getting worse to a point that the hinge is a real PITA to do/undo every time.

I'm considering getting either a carbon or an aluminium tank but all of the ones I've found are a bit too expensive (2000$+) and none of the manufacturers are local in case I need any repairs done.

I was wondering if people have experiences with either material (carbon vs aluminium) and more importantly do you guys know anyone in UK (or even europe) that does this sort of thing? I'd rather avoid ordering something from US/Japan if possible!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
uncle duke

Bike: S2r 1000
Very interested in this thread. I'm always on the look out for an earlier steel monster tank (900ie) or m1000 (are they steel ?) that can be 'adapted' to fit ..
uncle duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
M1000 (or similar ie model) tank will fit straight on but they are quite different.
Steel tank: filler neck is removable (fuel cap is the same) to allow access to fuel pump/filter.
Plastic tank: removable plate underneath holds pump/filter assembly.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fim View Post
Well, I think it's about time to replace the tank on my S2R since the swelling is getting worse to a point that the hinge is a real PITA to do/undo every time.

I'm considering getting either a carbon or an aluminium tank but all of the ones I've found are a bit too expensive (2000$+) and none of the manufacturers are local in case I need any repairs done.

I was wondering if people have experiences with either material (carbon vs aluminium) and more importantly do you guys know anyone in UK (or even europe) that does this sort of thing? I'd rather avoid ordering something from US/Japan if possible!
All the carbon tanks I've seen (there's a DP one on Evil Bay I've been drooling over for some time) are for carbed bikes. There's US outfit that does carbon fuel cells for racing, including ones for older Monsters - but, again, these were bikes equipped with carbs, and no injection bikes were listed.

And no way would I buy a brand spanking new 900 quid DP carbon tank with the intent of cutting it in half, removing the bottom, laying up a IE-style bottom and mating the two together...

I've picked up a brace of ie tanks recently. All I originally wanted was a spare to use while possibly getting my tank repainted or to use as a pattern to make an alloy tank from. The 900Sie tank is currently on the bike while the Dark tank is getting brazed up.

The grey ie tank I picked up "Just Because" is probably really spare. I noticed today it has an 02 year code on the bottom - and 2002+ IIRC, uses the S4 frame. So, while at a cursory glance it didn't look very different underneath to me, it would probably suit a later bike better.

The guy brazing my tank also fabricates alloy bodywork and tanks for cars & bikes. Including a Brough Superior seen at Bonneville. I'm told he has a lot of work, but can probably fit small projects in between larger projects. I was given a rough idea of price which I thought was pretty reasonable; roughly double what alloy tanks from India or Thailand go for. So a lot cheaper than the item from Japan - and heck, he lives less than 10 miles from me, so....

PM me if you're interested in either the 2002 ie tank (I could be persuaded to lend it out for test fitting purposes) or getting an alloy tank made; I can ask my guy to put you in touch - but be warned that I may get an order in line before you
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
fim

There are also some carbon tanks that I've seen that were for injection bikes (there's one on ebay as well for around 1000quid from an italian seller) but I've heard stories about leaks on the carbon tanks so I'm not sure.

Your guy sounds promising, I'll PM you regarding his details. I'm wondering if there's a couple of more people interested whether it might be worth looking into doing a "group buy" in order to get a better price.

I've also emailed a couple of shops that supposedly do this kind of work but I haven't heard back from any of them yet. I'll update this thread as soon as I have more information.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
slob

If he might be able to fit a tank 'in between larger projects', how keen do you think he'd be on a bulk order? I'd still be interested if he did though, ideally to take the plastic tank style plate on the bottom.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Darkness

Bike: M900
What's the position on ethanol with carbon fibre, especially if it's E10 or higher?

Are the resins susceptible to degradation?
Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
fim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
If he might be able to fit a tank 'in between larger projects', how keen do you think he'd be on a bulk order? I'd still be interested if he did though, ideally to take the plastic tank style plate on the bottom.
Where there's a will money, there's a way!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
What's the position on ethanol with carbon fibre, especially if it's E10 or higher?

Are the resins susceptible to degradation?
Ethanol will start to degrade the resin over time in both carbon fibre and fibre glass tanks. An ethanol-proof sealer like these Caswell examples would be required:

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/fuel-tank-sealing-kits/

As the sealer is an epoxy resin, I wonder if it could be used at the laminating stage itself thereby eliminating the need to seal after construction. 350TSS, I see you lay up your own carbon, do you know?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #10
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

California Cycleworks does an aftermarket S2R tank, which they call a "track tank" for $469, anybody tried one?

http://ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cyclewor...anks/mtt43-s2r
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #11
uncle duke

Bike: S2r 1000
The CC tanks are a different shape to the original & from what they say on the web site the finish isn't perfect & 'unpaintable' only being available in natural colours which seem to be red black & white . Are they plastic ? & if so would they suffer the same from ethanol as the original tanks...Good price though !!
uncle duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #12
slob

According to the blub: Lifetime guarantee and natural only available by special request.
Fugly though (IMHO)

Don't forget to add 6% duty and 20% VAT if you order one
Old 11-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Ethanol will start to degrade the resin over time in both carbon fibre and fibre glass tanks. An ethanol-proof sealer like these Caswell examples would be required:

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/fuel-tank-sealing-kits/

As the sealer is an epoxy resin, I wonder if it could be used at the laminating stage itself thereby eliminating the need to seal after construction. 350TSS, I see you lay up your own carbon, do you know?
I have a c/f inj tank for my S4 that I was going to get painted. Is it obvious if the tank's already been treated with something like Caswell already, I assume its like a varnish?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Is it obvious if the tank's already been treated with something like Caswell already, I assume its like a varnish?
These sealants come in clear and coloured options, so if a red or blue mix had been used you could see it. But if it was clear (or black) you wouldn't know.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I bought a secondhand injection type carbon tank for my carby M750, but its not fitted yet.
I think I got lucky ... only paid £260 for it, including the internal pump.
On the downside it was described as possibly having a small leak BUT from the description I would bet that it was only slight mist weepage from the connections.
I have yet to test it.
I could always use a sealant, which might be sensible against the ethanol anyway.

But despite all that I really, really fancy an ally tank.
Have done for years.
Looked into it a few times but always drew a blank in the end (unless I was prepared to pay really silly money).
So if there are moves afoot in that direction, consider me interested.
And not just for my own bike .. I might also be interested in helping to make a bulk order happen.

The only problem is that my magnetic tankbag will no longer stick.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote