UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4 replacement DP ECU question;

Old 19-05-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
S4 replacement DP ECU question;

So, my S4 is a 2001 model (analog clocks, only the immobilizer LED in the tach, no codes/menus/LCDs etc).

I knew enough to make sure it came with the red key, the code card - also 2 black keys. So that all seems good.

However, the docs I got with it were a little spotty; there's a print-out of a 12 year old email that makes reference to a PCII being fitted; nope, no sign of that I can find.

There's an invoice for some Sil cans; nope, high-level carbons (with a Termi sticker?). But the fitting kit and the slip-on down pipes are identical to my Remus/DP setup. So I suspect it may be DP.

Cut a long story short; bike has open airbox and open exhaust. Been a little concerned it might be a tad lean. Found a new DP 96506100B (that's the correct part for slip-ons and an open airbox apparently) on Flea Bay - turned up very promptly from Italy. In a Ducati box...

Unlike my M900ie DP ECUs, the only sticker is on the ECU dust caps - which goes away when it's fitted, of course. Are any of the numbers on the ECU itself specific to the DP fitment? They look a bit generic, with things like "IAW 59M" etc. And the "996R" makes me worry just slightly.

After I bought it, I saw Jerry mention that his S4 DP ECU isn't smooth down low, but fine up the top. Wait, wut... That's familiar - could I have a DP ECU already?

I was just going to fit the thing. Then I started reading a bit; seems I can only pair it with the red key - and then it's welded to the clocks/immobilizer forever? Sheesh...

If I buy the cables and dump the map, how easy is it to tell if it's a DP map already - and if so, which one? Is there a secret squirrel decoder ring for the signature or something?

I presume "flashing a new map" on a 59M is actually "burning a new EPROM with the modified map" and replacing it, right?

Cheers for any help; think I'm mostly on the right lines but ....
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
re the sticker: rostrumorhospit(al) has a heavily modified s4 and said he had 996r on his ecu. worth rembering the s4 was the first monster to use that ecu, and the 996 was the current superbike in 2001. so maybe nothing fishy there.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=59178&page=4

yes the reflash is just ‘burning’ an eprom, no idea about recognising maps

(i’ve posted this link a few times in the last fortnight) i’d ask avanti

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...55&postcount=8
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
re the sticker: rostrumorhospit(al) has a heavily modified s4 and said he had 996r on his ecu. worth rembering the s4 was the first monster to use that ecu, and the 996 was the current superbike in 2001. so maybe nothing fishy there.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=59178&page=4
Ahhhh - I'd missed that he'd got the bike back and posted again, thanks!

Numbers on my DP ECU match the ones he posted. Suspect they always will - and so will the stock one (the other sticker, Avanti says, has the firmware level of the unit itself).

Quote:
yes the reflash is just ‘burning’ an eprom, no idea about recognising maps
The Guzzi/IAWdiag download page has a collection of stock maps - including a couple of S4 ones. I'm hopeful a DP map will have a recognizable "fingerprint" in the human-readable part of the header

I think buying a cable or two is inevitable at this point...

Quote:
(i’ve posted this link a few times in the last fortnight) i’d ask avanti
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...55&postcount=8
Yeh, and I've read it several times - although every time something extra sinks in that that didn't quite stick the time before, so thanks
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote