UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Yet another speedo issue

Old 19-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Graham04

Bike: M620ie
Yet another speedo issue

My 2004 Monster 620 ie , in the middle of a 60 mile spin suddenly had the speedo stop. Trip still showing, the needle sweeps smoothly with ignition and settles back to 0mph. I have so far checked the connections, the fuse and cleaned the disk bolts. Also removed the shim to make the sensor closer to the bolts. After checking loads of forums including other makes, the easiest, cheapest and most popular fix is the speed sensor . Has anybody had experience with the German ones on fleabay for £59 . Not too keen on a second hand one because if it doesn't work, I will still be wondering if its the sensor.
Graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The speed sensors themselves are pretty reliable, the cable and connectors not so good.
Double check the wiring before spending money
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showp...&postcount=144
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Graham04

Ok I will go back over the connections again, fingers crossed.
Old 20-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
Graham04

I had a close look at the connector between the loom and sensor. On the loom side I peeled back a small bit of tape and found the red wire had been skinned for a probe. So someone has been here before. There is continuity both sides of the connector and 12v blue and earth on black. the sensor wires are completely different, although that may mean nothing. The sensor cable seem too long and has a number of cable ties keeping it tidy. I am wondering if its been changed before. The wiring seems to match the 02 to03 diagram in the Haynes manual. Any thoughts before I head back to the speedo.
Old 20-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
the fact thet the ‘sweep’ occurs at power on is a good sign, since theclocks are stupidly expensive.
I’m afraid i don’t know what continuity/readings tge hall effect sensor should show across the pins.
I can dig in my manuals later if noone else knows
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Here's a picture of the standard sensor routing and length, which might be useful.

According to the wiring diagram, the three wires should be grey/green, black/violet and red/blue.

The black/violet wire is the earth

And the grey/green, red/blue wires go to the speedo. I don't know which wire does what, but I'd guess the red/blue is the power and the grey/green the sensor output.

If you want to check the sensor with a multimeter, set the meter to DC volts. Attach the meter's black lead to the negative battery terminal or a good earth. Attach the meter's positive lead to the sensor's output lead. With the ignition on, if the sensor is working properly, when you turn the wheel you should see the meter switch between zero (or "open") and a voltage around half of the input voltage, (probably between 4 and 6 volts).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #7
Nasher

Bike: M900
Luddite.

That wiring diagram is incorrect:
From post 142 onwards here http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...=59086&page=10

Only the signal wire goes to the clocks, the others are +ve and -ve, the -ve being supplied from a small network from the ECU for the engine sensors.

Slob has a 620e wiring diagram which shows that configuration, but all the other diagrams I've found do not match reality on my M1000S or 1000SS.
But having now traced the wires back on my M1000 it matches the 620e diagram.

Nasher.

Last edited by Nasher; 20-05-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Luddite.

That wiring diagram is incorrect
A Ducati workshop manual with incorrect information ?? Surely not!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Nasher

Bike: M900
Unfortunately it's not just one, it appears most or even all of them from about that time are incorrect in that respect.

Oh, and reading my post back I could have made it a little more friendly with a 'Sorry' or an 'Unfortunately' in the there somewhere, so apologies for that.

Nasher
Old 20-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #10
Graham04

I have looked at 3 different diagrams all slightly different. I thought it would be the one in my owners manual which is for the 6 speed version with slipper clutch which mine has and pictured by Luddite, although the loom wiring colours follow the earlier model. What is also confusing is the dedicated fuse which only seems relevant in the earlier versions. next week I will reconnect the my meter and pull the fuse and see if I lose the 12v, after that I will try the sensor test. Thanks Guys.
PS . the fuse box cover is missing so no help there.
Old 26-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #11
Graham04

I've been out with the meter, ground and 12v getting to the sensor, I tried the the dc and ac settings with 5v and 20v and I can only get a solid 0.2v dc on the pulse wire . No hints of a pulse or even a flicker of any sort. I had the bike running on a stand in gear, so it should have been getting plenty of readings. Unless there is anything else that can be tried , I will have a pop at a replacement.
Old 28-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #12
Graham04

I bit the bullet and got a second hand one, half the price of a new one from Germany, and next day delivery. It was for a Multistrada, a couple of inches too long but that was easily lost in the frame. Anyway I have a working speedo again. Thanks for the information and tips.