UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Squeaky wheel???

Old 01-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
jimbo696

Squeaky wheel???

Hi,
I just got my bike back from service, and it has started squealing when I apply the back brake? It did not do this before! Any ideas as to why it is doing this, it is very annoying!!!
Cheers.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Assuming that new rear pads were fitted, it's probably those bedding in.
Wiping the disc both sides with clutch and brake cleaner might help a bit for a while, but unfortunately it might only work for a few dabs of the brake... You have to keep at it until the pads bed in.

Something really simple, like a smear of coppaslip on the back of the pads might do the trick.

My back brake has given me a load of grief over the years, so I've had a steep learning curve!
I have a floating rear brake which is steadied by a rose jointed rod. If the rose joints get the slightest bit of play in them, it will make the rod sing like a violin when the brake is applied.
Best quality McGill rod ends are the answer to that one.
As above, brake dust is the usual culprit to squeal, but this is exaggerated by a lazy master. for a very long time all the evidence was pointing to my pads not retracting enough after application. At long last I replaced the master and the brake is now magnificent. The dragging pads caused no end of weird problems.. Extra dust being just one.

If you have a paddock stand, check that the rotation of the wheel is free in both directions, and that the brake frees immediately after releasing the lever (both ways).

Finally.. Brembo pads sometimes.. repeat, sometimes have backing plates between the pad and piston. if it had them before and they are now absent after the service that could be the problem, though goodness knows how you would know that , unless you got a very honest answer from the chappie who serviced it.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 01-07-2018 at 09:29 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Flip

Bike: M900
Certainly on the double sided swing arm bikes there needs to be a fair amount of free play in the brake pedal otherwise when the disc heats up it tends to bind the brake on.

This is obviously exuberated when the fluid is getting past change time and has some moisture in the system lowering the boiling point.

If new pads were fitted at the service- did they squeal immediately or after a while of riding?

If it was after a little while did you treat the pads gently for a hundred miles or so?

If not they might have got too hot too quick and glazed over causing the squealing you are now experiencing.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I have a floating rear brake which is steadied by a rose jointed rod. If the rose joints get the slightest bit of play in them, it will make the rod sing like a violin when the brake is applied.
Interesting, I too have the floating rear brake setup and it does this under certain conditions.

I wasn't exactly sure what it was first time so I wondered if something was broken but could find nothing amiss. I did think it might be, at least partially due to the disc design as it is a wavy style with large cutouts rather than conventional holes but wonder now if it's related to the rose joints?

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
jimbo696

Thanks chaps.
I did not have new pads fitted!! I think the fluid was checked, not sure if it was topped up?
I will check the disc and rotation....
Cheers,
Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Just needs a good greasing