UK Monster Owners Club Forum » News » Ducati Speciale Challenge 2015

Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Ducati Speciale Challenge 2015

Mike Tesseyman and his ‘748 Evo’ takes 1st place in the Ducati Speciale Challenge
  • Finals of the Ducat Speciale Challenge take place at Silvertone Circuit
  • Ducati 748 owner Mike Tesseyman wins the 2015 Ducati Speciale Challenge
  • TT2 based on 600TL Pantah by Sam Woodfield is runner up

The finals of the Ducati Speciale Challenge took place on Sunday at a sun drenched Silverstone circuit. The penultimate round of the British Superbike round was the setting for the Ducati Speciale’s own showdown as the eight finalists gathered at the circuit to discover who would be the 2015 Ducati Speciale champion.

Ducati has always been synonymous with performance and design and most Ducati customers modify their bike in some way using the extensive array of Ducati Performance accessories available. To celebrate some of the best examples of self-expression by UK Ducatisti, Ducati UK created the Ducati Speciale Challenge and invited entries from all over the country which were shortlisted to a final eight.

The eight bikes were displayed outside the Ducati UK hospitality drawing a crowd throughout the weekend. It was here that the judges, Niall Mackenzie, Ducati TriOptions ambassador, Tim Maccabee, Ducati UK MD and Neil Spalding, MotoGP technical journalist, photographer,
author and TV commentator met to decide the winner.

After much deliberation and speaking to each of the eight owners, the judges decided that the winners were:

1st – Mike Tesseyman with his modified 748 Evo which featured an 1198 engine and a vast array of parts and accessories.

Mike said after his win: “It was a much unexpected win. I was up against lots of fantastic bikes with lots of time and effort put in and I appreciate the work people have done. I put a lot of effort into mine. It’s a personal build, lots of different parts moulded into one package. It’s a race bike which I love racing.”

Mike was presented with a bespoke trophy made by designer Dan Taylor, a £1000 Ducati Performance voucher and a season pass for the Ducati UK hospitality.

Runner up - Sam Woodfield. Sam who is 24 years old created his version of a TT2 based on 600TL Pantah with a custom made frame with modifications to steering angle, footrests and much more.

Sam was delighted and surprised by his win: “I am over the moon. I didn’t even think it would make the top six. It’s my pride and joy which I have built on a tight budget which is why I am so surprised but I am very happy.”

Neil Spalding spoke on behalf of the judges after the awards were made, “It was a superb standard but in the end my technical head swayed my decision, but I would be happy to ride away on any of them. They all looked absolutely fantastic and they should all be very proud for setting such a high standard.”

The Ducati Speciale Challenge is expected to return in 2016.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
I was at Silverstone on Sunday, the Pantah based special was smart and my personal favourite and the Monster was well thought out. I have some pics but guess these are well known bikes anyhow.
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

We know the monster on here and that's all I know really, other than what I read on Ducati.com I haven't read or seen much of the other bikes. Maybe some others have seen the other bikes?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

Have been searching for write up and pictures but there's nothing out there, just a rubbish few lines here

http://www.ducatiuk.com/news/mike_te.../3912/index.do

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
DrD

Images of the finalist bikes are on an earlier posting: http://www.ducati.co.uk/news/ducati_.../3871/index.do
Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

And there is only 5 pictures, not much or a write up. I thought there were 8 finalists?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
There we're 8 finalists, of which I was one with Fenella, who the majority on here will know. I only found out about the contest when Slob gave me a nudge, my entry went through literally at the 11th hour before the entries closed.

The 8 of us were up at Silverstone for the Saturday and Sunday and having got to know most of the finalists quite well I can say each bike and its owner deserved to win; Sam's bike had a great story behind it and Mike's "748" was clearly a labour of love.

Its a tricky one for Ducati and the judges to nail in the perfect format as I went away thinking had I known the decision was going to be made on a mechanical/technical basis I wouldn't have entered as Fenella could never compete with a track day bike or a £70,000 Foggy rep.

From what Tim Maccabee said during the presentation I think they have "plans" for next year to develop the competition - I'm quietly hoping that some sort of category system can be implemented although I know that's a nightmare to come up with in the first place.

I cant say that I came away disappointed because myself and guest had a great two days courtesy of Ducati who did a great job of hosting and Fenella received her fair share of compliments and it was a cracking ride back home in the glorious sunshine.

I may just have developed the competition bug, so if their are any suggestions of competitions I could enter with Fenella lemi know!
Old 07-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPV12 View Post
Its a tricky one for Ducati and the judges to nail in the perfect format as I went away thinking had I known the decision was going to be made on a mechanical/technical basis I wouldn't have entered as Fenella could never compete with a track day bike or a £70,000 Foggy rep.
Not entirely sure what you mean there? I don't think when they set these competitions up, they have any specific criteria to judging. It's just whatever 'floats their boats' on that particular day. I speak from experience as I was the last Ducati Speciale Challenge winner and mine, although was't cheap, it certainly wasn't the most expensive either. 2nd & third places weren't Ducati Performance catalogue specials either.

From the pics that I've seen, and seeing the Specials at WDW as well as some of the stuff coming out from various custom workshops all over the world, I think it's a shame that the winner still looks like a 748 / 996. I'm all for keeping things original as per Albie's M900 rebuild but I think a bike building competition should celebrate individuality and trying to do something different from the norm - not just doing the same as what already exists. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPV12 View Post
From what Tim Maccabee said during the presentation I think they have "plans" for next year to develop the competition - I'm quietly hoping that some sort of category system can be implemented although I know that's a nightmare to come up with in the first place.
I highly doubt it. It's been 9 years since the last one so roll on 2025 when I'll have my custom hydrogen powered bike powered by brain impulses.

Well done for making the final though. Always good to see a Monster in the line up.
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
That's why I liked the Pantah (no disrespects to others) it had an individualism and didn't look to be a cheque book build with some rough edges but looked the bike I would have chosen to ride and own.
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: