UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Third Monster, first in the UK

Old 25-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #31
Bob.E

Some really interesting font info.
Welcome to the true home of the Monster owner, FrankenDesmo.
Old 25-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #32
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Have a look at this recent thread regarding side panel decals.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=57673
I had come across the decals in that thread on ebay - I think it's only the twinline 'Desmo' decal that I'd need to go custom (assuming the 'Ducati' & 'M900' decals are of suitable quality to go on the paint work), as I've only found that in white online so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
'Tis funny as when I bought my '97 Monster at the end of 1999 (from a mate who bought it new) I was riding a '96 GSX-R750WT and to begin with the Monster felt antiquated to say the least but there was something about the way it rode that I instantly loved- the seemingly endless 'real world' torque...

<snip>

...there was some old world charm with the 2v motor that was under my skin and so I waved bye bye to the S4 and set about making the old 900 truly 'mine'.

Today, almost twenty years and 35000 miles later I love it more than ever- it puts a smile on my face literally every time I ride it and now that even Ducati themselves can't use the Cagiva font I smile even more- that'll teach the Audi bastids to bring the old models' service parts prices 'in line' with current models.
You've more or less summed up my feelings on why I love the classic M900s - that 2v motor is so beautiful in its simplicity, produces a raw thunder, and I can pretty much roll the power on in any gear, especially the lump in mine - I really do suspect it's an SS motor, and one that is in very good repair as it really does go! I'm actually afraid to full throttle it as even at 3/4 I feel the weight coming off the front wheel! My two previous Monsters had nowhere near the pull that this one does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsen View Post
Blue is the best colour
Now that's how you do a tasteful blue paint job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.E View Post
Welcome to the true home of the Monster owner, FrankenDesmo.
I've found my people.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #33
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
I had come across the decals in that thread on ebay - I think it's only the twinline 'Desmo' decal that I'd need to go custom (assuming the 'Ducati' & 'M900' decals are of suitable quality to go on the paint work), as I've only found that in white online so far.
Do the logos have to be decals? If you're having all new paintwork, have a word with your painter about painting them on. Many paintshops have the facility to laser-cut masks for even really complicated designs.

When I had my tailpiece painted, I wanted the 1100 Evo logo but there wasn't a decal available in the right colour combination. So I had it painted on and you can't tell it from factory (except it's completely smooth!).

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #34
FrankenDesmo

Good call Luddite, according to the EDC website he has indeed done painted on graphics/logos in previous jobs so it's certainly a possibility.
Old 25-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #35
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Anu logo or art you want to add can be done using decals, and if you want good price top quality you might try Image Works in Derby. Great guys with great work. http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepage.htm

They will be attending to my Suzuki shortly too.
Old 25-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #36
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
......I really do suspect it's an SS motor, and one that is in very good repair as it really does go! I'm actually afraid to full throttle it as even at 3/4 I feel the weight coming off the front wheel! My two previous Monsters had nowhere near the pull that this one does.
Take a look at the head castings on the left of the cam bearing cap. If it says V2 it is one of the big valve engines which is the same as the SS. These were used as standard from ‘93 to about ‘96.

When the M750 was introduced they put their small valve head and cams on the M900 as well. The heads of these are marked W.

V2 heads came back with the M900s and the injection models.
Old 25-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #37
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Take a look at the head castings on the left of the cam bearing cap. If it says V2 it is one of the big valve engines which is the same as the SS. These were used as standard from ‘93 to about ‘96.

When the M750 was introduced they put their small valve head and cams on the M900 as well. The heads of these are marked W.

V2 heads came back with the M900s and the injection models.
What he said. The SS and Monster engines are essentially the same with the above exceptions, 750 head 900 monsters were about 10bhp down on the S versions for a few years (would have to look up the years) which had the normal V2 heads.

Maybe yours has been breathed on a bit; hi comp pistons, head work or maybe it is the non-standard exhaust manifold? A good exhaust will let the engine perform loads better than the standard restrictive 40mm header version. 45 or 50mm headers with a tuned length (spaghetti system) and big 50mm link pipes and open cans is the way to go.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #38
FrankenDesmo

Yeah it's got the V2 heads, and it possibly could have been cracked open for some work, who knows. Good point about the full exhaust, too.

It has had the airbox lid chop done, though the filter looks like it could do with replacing. I'd usually go straight for a K&N, but I've got the faint glimmer of a memory suggesting paper filters were ultimately better in the long run - can anyone else corroborate that thought?
Old 25-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #39
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

1997 was the year the Monster had the small valve (750 head) fitted and different cams, smaller carbs etc. Down to a paltry 68 bhp unless you had the S version which still had the 900SS lump and presumably the other original SS bits.

They did eventually change it back again around when the 900 S model was discontinued. Around '00 to '01 But the whole S saga is another story and I'm sure Gazza will fill in the hazy details around that or I will need to look it up. Essentially there were some S models with old spec and some with the new spec when the Mk1b model came out.

I suppose they were using up whatever stock they had available?

Old 25-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #40
FrankenDesmo

Hmm I might need to double check what carbs I had as there is a chap in California who makes tougher needle valves for the 38mm (from memory) mikunis, which is what I had on my original '99 M900 (which I suspect was small valve as the power was nowhere near this one's). I figured I'd do the same mod so maybe I have bigger carbs. I'll wait and see if it starts fouling plugs from an ovaled needle jet valve/emulsion tube though...
Old 25-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #41
FrankenDesmo

Ahh my el cheapo £25 RR has arrived:

A bit chunkier than the stock unit, but as long as it works (for the winter, ideally), then I'm not too concerned. Hopefully I'll get it fitted tomorrow.
Old 26-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #42
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If i were you then i would find someone who knows Ducati and has a dyno and run it on there which should tell you what you got and what you need to do. Before you mess about with the carbs.

Old 26-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #43
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
1997 was the year the Monster had the small valve (750 head) fitted and different cams, smaller carbs etc. Down to a paltry 68 bhp unless you had the S version which still had the 900SS lump and presumably the other original SS bits.

They did eventually change it back again around when the 900 S model was discontinued. Around '00 to '01 But the whole S saga is another story and I'm sure Gazza will fill in the hazy details around that or I will need to look it up. Essentially there were some S models with old spec and some with the new spec when the Mk1b model came out.

I suppose they were using up whatever stock they had available?
But this bike started out as an M600, so the engine may be modded. All we know at the moment is that it’s got the better heads.

Depending when it was made, some 900 motors have been opened up to change the cylinder head studs: an early spec. tended to snap.

Last edited by Darkness; 26-09-2019 at 06:54 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #44
FrankenDesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If i were you then i would find someone who knows Ducati and has a dyno and run it on there which should tell you what you got and what you need to do. Before you mess about with the carbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
But this bike started out as an M600, so the engine may be modded. All we know at the moment is that it’s got the better heads.

Depending when it was made, some 900 motors have been opened up to change the cylinder head studs: an early spec. tended to snap.
Darren, cheers for the tip, I'd be doing a bit more looking at the bike before I started to do anything to it (I've been totally flat out at work so it's just been sitting in my mates back yard until I move into a flat with a garage tomorrow). A dyno run makes sense though.

Darkness, yep, we don't know if this is an early or late v2 motor, although I guess some inference can probably be made from its serial number. It seems like whoever did the conversion knew what they were doing, unless they fluked the motor - but the rest of the bikes mods are quite well done. Just a shame they didn't take care of the electrics, but I guess I need to have _some_ work to do

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: