UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Slow Monster rebuild

Old 06-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #271
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Albie,
I have found only 3 tea tray bolts. Cannot remember what happened to the other one. They all have been drilled - which you may not want if you are going for originality - you are welcome to them collect from me in Shipbourne, Kent or I will post them if you can let me know your address
Also I have found a rather scabby (but should clean up OK) footrest hanger spacer
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #272
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Albie,
I have found only 3 tea tray bolts. Cannot remember what happened to the other one. They all have been drilled - which you may not want if you are going for originality - you are welcome to them collect from me in Shipbourne, Kent or I will post them if you can let me know your address
Also I have found a rather scabby (but should clean up OK) footrest hanger spacer
Pm being sent.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #273
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I have an idea of getting the thread drilled and I can tap them m3 and get some m3 bolts with washers and bolt up through or use the m3 thread to attach an extra bit of stud same method but a grub screw to lock it up
How do you mean when you say they are drilled As in lock wired or through the thread
Old 06-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #274
350TSS

They are drilled through the hex expanded mushroom head along the length of the bolt. All non safety critical bolts/set screws on my bike are drilled thus in a probably futile attempt to get the dry weight under 155kg
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #275
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
They are drilled through the hex expanded mushroom head along the length of the bolt. All non safety critical bolts/set screws on my bike are drilled thus in a probably futile attempt to get the dry weight under 155kg
It might work in my favour. Cannot but just try and see. I may have to go to Tonbridge tomorrow sometime if you message me an address
Old 06-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #276
350TSS

How do I do that? not messaged anyone before - sad really
Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #277
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
top left, click on 'private messages' just below your name in the red bar.
then look down the left hand side and click on 'Send New Message'
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #278
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Or just click on Albie's name in the box beside his post.
Then select "Send Albie a private message".
It will appear for you to fill in already addressed to Albie... Don't forget to put something in the "Title" box.
Just click on submit message when you are done.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #279
350TSS

Another cherry popped - thanks guys
Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #280
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Another cherry popped - thanks guys
Message received over and out
Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #281
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Ah no, you see, its either "over" ie your turn to talk, or "out" ie cheerio.
Over and out kinda means .. carry on talking but I won't be listening.

Heard it on a quiz show.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #282
bazread

I was a signals instructor in the Army and you are correct Utopia
Old 09-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #283
350TSS

I decided today to get a little bit organized, thought it would take a couple of hours tops. Oh no – what a can of worms!
Over the last few years when I have been asked “what do you want for Christmas (or birthday)? In reply, for want of anything to say, I have said “get me a Machine Mart voucher”.
Much derision from children and wife followed, but, sure enough that is what I got. Over that period, I have acquired lots of storage racks/ bins for parts etc. and a lot of tools that I would not have bought had I not had the voucher. Some tools were good but mostly they were distinctly average in quality and design.
Also, when confronted with a job /problem that required purchase of fasteners, I always opted for the largest pack size I could reasonably justify; if I needed 10 for the particular job, then I would buy a pack of 50, secure in the knowledge that the 50 price was not that much more than the 10 price and I would always find a use for the other 40. The surplus was stored (quite randomly) in my Machine Mart storage racks.
That meant that when I had a new job/problem I had a) to search a large number of drawers to find that I had the parts I needed or b) if I couldn’t be arsed to search, I would go out and buy a new stock (excessive?) of what I already had but could not (or could not be arsed to) find.
My drawers are now exemplary. Sorted by material: A2 stainless or BZP, by head style: hex, socket cap, button or countersunk and by bolt diameter and length.
Does anyone remember the Julia Roberts film “Sleeping with the Enemy” She fakes her death to get away from her OCD husband and starts a new life, meeting someone new in a fresh location. One night she comes back to her new pad and finds all the tins in the kitchen cupboard arranged in order. Scary.
My stock of nuts and bolts are now OCD and in another 3 hours or so tomorrow the whole garage will be neat and completely tidy, with every M900 part in a chinky takeaway plastic box and labelled.
A cathartic but actually very satisfying day – but no actual M900 progress.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:15 AM   #284
350TSS

Albie: I found the fourth bolt - also drilled longitudinally, nestling in the puddle of oil in the lathe bed.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #285
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
I decided today to get a little bit organized, thought it would take a couple of hours tops. Oh no – what a can of worms!
Over the last few years when I have been asked “what do you want for Christmas (or birthday)? In reply, for want of anything to say, I have said “get me a Machine Mart voucher”.
Much derision from children and wife followed, but, sure enough that is what I got. Over that period, I have acquired lots of storage racks/ bins for parts etc. and a lot of tools that I would not have bought had I not had the voucher. Some tools were good but mostly they were distinctly average in quality and design.
Also, when confronted with a job /problem that required purchase of fasteners, I always opted for the largest pack size I could reasonably justify; if I needed 10 for the particular job, then I would buy a pack of 50, secure in the knowledge that the 50 price was not that much more than the 10 price and I would always find a use for the other 40. The surplus was stored (quite randomly) in my Machine Mart storage racks.
That meant that when I had a new job/problem I had a) to search a large number of drawers to find that I had the parts I needed or b) if I couldn’t be arsed to search, I would go out and buy a new stock (excessive?) of what I already had but could not (or could not be arsed to) find.
My drawers are now exemplary. Sorted by material: A2 stainless or BZP, by head style: hex, socket cap, button or countersunk and by bolt diameter and length.
Does anyone remember the Julia Roberts film “Sleeping with the Enemy” She fakes her death to get away from her OCD husband and starts a new life, meeting someone new in a fresh location. One night she comes back to her new pad and finds all the tins in the kitchen cupboard arranged in order. Scary.
My stock of nuts and bolts are now OCD and in another 3 hours or so tomorrow the whole garage will be neat and completely tidy, with every M900 part in a chinky takeaway plastic box and labelled.
A cathartic but actually very satisfying day – but no actual M900 progress.
Yea, she kills him in the end, but he deserved it!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote