UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 1997 M750 Clutch problem

Old 12-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
1997 M750 Clutch problem

Sometimes randomly the clutch lever goes soft as if slave or master has lost pressure but then it becomes firm again ,, seems to happen in traffic ,,,its the early model with in case slave ,, no dragging or slipping ,,, ?????

fluid is fresh and clean no air in system and bled ok again ???

Last edited by jerry; 12-09-2021 at 05:09 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
slob

how fresh? sounds like water vapour
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
jerry
Old Git

I changed it all for fresh today the old stuff was dark ,and 1 year old ,now clear and clean , but I dont trust it
Old 12-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
slob

i mean did it come from a sealed bottle?
dot3/4/5.1 glycol based brake fluid is highly hygroscopic (ie it readily absorbs moisture from the atmosphere) once a bottle has been opened this process starts. replacing the lid makes little difference. dot4 boils around 230c+, dot3 a bit less, dot5.1 a bit more. any absorbed water boils out at ~100c causing vapour lock (gas compresses, fluid doesn’t), once cooled again everything seems ‘normal’.
every time you open a bottle of fluid, write the date on it in sharpie and take it to your council tip for safe didposal after a couple of months.

I’ve experienced vapour lock on a rear brake and it was ****ing scary, i initially thought the pads had dropped out of the caliper.

ps. dont confuse dot5.1 with dot5 (dot5 is silicon not glycol based, it doesn’t absorb moisture, will not mix with glycol fluids, isn’t compatible with seals etc. not designed for it. afaik is only used in harleys as far as bikes are concerned)

sorry if i’m teaching grandma to suck eggs here.

Last edited by slob; 12-09-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Old 13-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
jerry
Old Git

I have a frsh bottle to hand DOT 4 so will re flush it ,, only takes 15 mins ,,, we Put DOT 4 in Petes HD its stops on a sixpence .. very sharp brakes
Old 13-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
slob

If the HD says DOT5 on the master cylinder caps you will likely end up with problems with the seals. Glycol and silicon based fluids are incompatible. Glycol fluids generally provide better braking performance.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Sometimes randomly goes soft but then it becomes firm again
,, seems to happen in traffic ,,,
This is quite normal at your age sir. If it gets worse try these little blue pills.

I was sitting in traffic the other day, and er, I got run over!..
Old 13-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
If the HD says DOT5 on the master cylinder caps you will likely end up with problems with the seals. Glycol and silicon based fluids are incompatible. Glycol fluids generally provide better braking performance.

He builds all from new parts and not using HD brake bits CCA 4pots on front HD brembo 4 pot on rears stops really quick carb is Lectron ,, with Morris rare earth Magneto and WW 2hp starter motor ,,pulls like a train stops like a Ducati

my personel hydraulics are still working fine only problem is Timm is in Thailand and Im in YUK 18 months now seperated she is glowing red hot ,, i keep telling her to use the pappayas or bannanas she grows ,,,I have my bikes to ride ,, instead of her !!!!!! when I get back to her its gonna be explosive boom boom !!!!