UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » service work by 'independent' during warranty period

Old 09-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Fraser

service work by 'independent' during warranty period

hi, appreciate that 'under European law' etc etc, manufacturers are supposed to be obliged to uphold warranty claims even if service work during the warranty period hasn’t been undertaken by authorised service centre but by recognised ‘expert’ but was wondering if anyone had ever had any issues with Ducati on this point? Just that the S4RS needs a £4-500 service from ‘dealer’ but that my local expert could do it (arguably better!) for less than half (the well respected Carl Harrison in Norfolk). But bike is still under manufacturer’s warranty period so should I spend the extra for the ‘stamp’.......??? Any thoughts??
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Eu law or not for an extra couple of hundred notes id get the stamp. My injector jammed pen on my S4R and it needed a new set of throttle bodies (£1000). Not sure if ducati would have been so accomodating had it not had the service history ! (it was three months OUT of warranty).

Then take it to an independent as soon as its out..
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Hi Fraser, I got all work while the bike was under warranty done at the dealers then I was off to Carl as well.

You really do have to pay the extra for now.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Half Man Half Mole

My S2R is with JHP Ducati Coventry at the moment for its two year service. I agree with what is said above. JHP sold the idea of using them,rather than a cheaper none-franchised alternative, to me by explaining that by using them I would effectively gain a further year of warranty. I doubt they would ever put that claim in writing for me though.

Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Mrs Soup

Riders of Bristol omitted to remind me when my first year service was due and as they generally have a 4 week wait for service I went elsewhere. These other poeple are non franchised but collect the bike and do a proper job, not just tick the boxes.

During the warranty period I had the usual problem with paint falling off various engine casings. I took it to Riders who did the ususal "didn't have it serviced here your warranty's not valid anymore". Suffice to say I got Ducati UK involved and in strictest confidence the whole thing was resolved to my satisfaction.

If you want to avoid hasle, go with the dealer. At the very least have the end of warranty service done there, as then there's no argument about any work arising at that point.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
bod

Any dealer will look at your 'loyalty' to the brand if need some 'goodwill gesture' out of the warranty period.
Old 13-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Paivi

Definitely an authorised dealer. I was stung pretty badly (£1,200, i.e., more than the bike's worth) when Piaggio refused to honour a warranty claim, as it had been serviced by a non-authorised dealer.