UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4 starter motor replacement

Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
S4 starter motor replacement

Haynes manual (916/996) says left hand engine casing needs to be removed to access 3 x bolts to remove the starter. On my S4 there looks to be 2 x bolts (see pic). Has anyone removed a starter from an S4 and do you need to remove the left hand casing to get to the bolts.

If so what are these bolts for??

Last edited by alan s4; 11-04-2019 at 06:49 PM..
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Haynes manual (916/996) says left hand engine casing needs to be removed to access 3 x bolts to remove the starter. On my S4 there looks to be 2 x bolts (see pic). Has anyone removed a starter from an S4 and do you need to remove the left hand casing to get to the bolts.

If so what are these bolts for??

Those two bolts you highlight hold the motor itself together. Don’t undo till on bench.

You get the motor off by draining engine oil, then removing the alternator side cover. Then remove the three screws: hopefully you have a hole in the gears to get at the third one, otherwise they come out too.

If the nut on the power feed to the starter motor is corroded, it can be a good idea to cut it off the stud, as if the stud turns instead, it rips the cables out.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Darkness; 11-04-2019 at 08:33 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Thanks for the reply darkness. Did a bit more research last night, the 2 visible bolts release the top of the starter motor, from there you can replace the brushes. If the oil cooler pipes are removed, according to some reports, you can replace the brushes with the motor in situ. Looks a bit fiddly, worth a try though.......

I've just replace the oil and coolant so I would rather try to fix the starter without removing it.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Hi Alan, I replaced the brushes on my old 900 monster in situ, it's really fiddly but I can confirm it is possible, good luck mate.
Cheers - Mark
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote