UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New 620 Owner

Old 02-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
New 620 Owner

Hello all. I recently (a month or so ago now!) bought a nice and clean 2004 620 and I'm loving it. I've had bigger bikes, but the grin-per-cc factor on this bike is awesome, the feeling is like when I got my first bike on the road and spent all my time grinning ear-to-ear.

I've already done a couple of jobs on it:
  • Changed the indicators to some rounder LED ones (they were mismatched and I didn't like the shape), i had to make a couple of tabs to mount them, but have a mate 3D printing some new mounts to fit into the tail chop. I'll post up once this is done.
  • Added an LED strip for the numberplate light (the tail chop deleted the original but the wiring was still there).
  • Changed the discs as there was a pulse on the brake lever when I got it - the original wheel powdercoating had gone onto the mating surface for the brake disc, it had already had discs a few thousand miles ago (the bike's only done 13k) and the mechanic clearly hadn't picked this up as being the reason that the disc had worn, I took it back to a flat surface and all seems good.
  • Sourced a new tank rubber - one side was missing, got it from Italy for £2.99... plus £13.99 postage!
  • Found a headlight fairing, currently prepping it to respray.
  • Bought db killers from SP Engineering as the cans are super loud and even though the MOT tester is a mate who I cycle with, I dunno if he can look past that!

I'm going to do the belts over the winter and do an oil and filter change. Seems as though Ducati belts are the thing to get as apart from the Flennor ones (which seem to have mixed reviews), I've not seen any that are really any less in terms of cost.

Last edited by velosam; 02-11-2020 at 12:38 PM..
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Looks good, didn't realise the 620's were fitted with twin discs, it must stop on a sixpence given the weight of the bike!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
hello and welcome,

for pics, edit your original post and change the tags surrounding your link from “url” to “img”
(keeping the square brackets and closing slash) or you can use the yellow button with mountains/sun to add them automagically
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome aboard!

That's a very nice example, Sam. No wonder you're happy!

For timing belts, consider Exactfit (you'd need the TB800).

http://www.exactuk.com/about-exactfit-cam-belts/
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Looks good, didn't realise the 620's were fitted with twin discs, it must stop on a sixpence given the weight of the bike!
Hello and welcome,

yea, they did make a 620 Dark monodisco version but the standard 620 had twin discs, and new for '04 I believe they had added the Adler clutch and 6 speed gears too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
slob

You also get the odd Sie models with alloy swingarms
Old 02-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
hello and welcome,

for pics, edit your original post and change the tags surrounding your link from “url” to “img”
(keeping the square brackets and closing slash) or you can use the yellow button with mountains/sun to add them automagically
Tried that - don't think it likes it as it's hosted on Twitter?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and welcome Sam.
I rode a 620 for the first time only this year and would agree with you 100% about the grin factor. Nice and lively and light..

+1 for exactfit belts. They are about the same price as Ducati belts now, but they will go three years instead of the two years for Ducati belts, so quite a saving.
Change those belts sooner rather than later if you don't know the history of them.
They can be a liability if the bike has stood for a long time. At least examine them closely for any cracks or fraying, make sure they are nice and supple and check the tension.

Bike looks mint by the way..
Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Hello and welcome,

yea, they did make a 620 Dark monodisco version but the standard 620 had twin discs, and new for '04 I believe they had added the Adler clutch and 6 speed gears too.
Yes, mine's a 6sp. and the twin discs are standard. As Alan says, it stops very well!
Old 02-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Hello and welcome Sam.
I rode a 620 for the first time only this year and would agree with you 100% about the grin factor. Nice and lively and light..

+1 for exactfit belts. They are about the same price as Ducati belts now, but they will go three years instead of the two years for Ducati belts, so quite a saving.
Change those belts sooner rather than later if you don't know the history of them.
They can be a liability if the bike has stood for a long time. At least examine them closely for any cracks or fraying, make sure they are nice and supple and check the tension.

Bike looks mint by the way..
Cheers, the belts were done two years ago according to the previous owner, I'm not likely to ride it now as the weather up here in Scotland is pretty crap - greasy roads all over the place, so I'll be getting the belts done sooner rather than later. I definitely want to do it myself so that I start off knowing when they were done.

Good info re: 3yr period, that really helps make my mind up - good to hear that the Exactfit belts get the thumbs up here.

The bike hasn't stood, I've got all the old MOT certificates and it's just done low miles each year. I reckon it's been garaged for all of that time as there's hardly a spot of corrosion anywhere, even the front cylinder head is still clean (albeit with a tiny bit of bubbling).
Old 02-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Welcome aboard!

That's a very nice example, Sam. No wonder you're happy!

For timing belts, consider Exactfit (you'd need the TB800).

http://www.exactuk.com/about-exactfit-cam-belts/
Cheers, I had seen these, but didn't know what the score was re: quality. Good to hear from a couple of responses here that they're the ones to get.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
slob

hhhhmmmmm...

hit ‘quote’ on luddites post (or this one) and check the code he used

Last edited by slob; 02-11-2020 at 12:38 PM..
Old 02-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
velosam

I used a link from postimg.cc - just don't think it liked the Twitter hosting!

Pic is from the last ride I had a couple Saturday's ago over the Duke's Pass. Amazing scenery up there, especially when the leaves were all on the turn.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #14
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
Tidy looking bike, Sam, welcome. You've got some good biking roads up where you are, hopefully you will get to the weekender next year
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #15
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC2925 View Post
Tidy looking bike, Sam, welcome. You've got some good biking roads up where you are, hopefully you will get to the weekender next year
Cheers Chris. Yeah, there's plenty of decent roads up here. Looking forward to spring when they're dry again!