UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Bargaining Power

Old 25-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
mholc123

Bargaining Power

Hi Ladies/Gents

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this, I was 50 this year and I promised myself a new motorbike when I was 50. So I have decided to buy a new Monster 1200 (NOT S) and I will be buying it as a Cash purchase i.e. No Credit or Part ex.

So here's my question - What sort of discount / accessories do you think I can ask for as I'm paying cash?
Old 25-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
tricolore

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The days of 'cash is king' are long gone, everyone wants you to take credit. Also with it being a new model and, as I understand, a waiting list think you'll struggle to get a discount.

Perhaps a free first service or something along those lines.

Good luck and welcome to the 50's club
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Rowly

I can second that having just bought a new car for the Mrs. Was persuaded to Not put down a larger cash deposit (something to do with the final balance/value of the car) and it was all 0% finance so didn't seem to matter. Got deals on aftercare and whatnot.
The dealers seem to get bonuses or whatever doing it this way.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
mholc123

Ironically I doubt they'd give me credit, went through a sticky patch a few years ago!
Old 25-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
mholc123

I wonder if it would be worth playing the Aprillia Card - quite fancy a Tuono !
Old 25-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Dookbob

I have been into places recently with a wad of cash and they look at you like you just stepped out off a spaceship. Some havn,t got any way of handling cash sales at all.
Old 25-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
tricolore

And the trouble with the Ducati franchised dealers is they only offer Lloyds finance. Speak with Moto Rapido, they deal with Close finance and they'll offer you all sorts of finance deals. I had a 0% from them with a 50% deposit! bit of a no brainier to me, why spend all your cash. That may work for you also putting a large deposit down.
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
If you can wait, buy it in the last few days of a month, preferably June. Dealers all have monthly targets to hit and by going in then, your sale may make the difference to them. There is a half yearly/annual target from some manufacturers as well!
As others say, cash can be a burden. We are not allowed to take more than 2k in cash now, but as much as we want from a debit card. It's all to do with new rules about laundering cash!
Good luck.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
What they all said.... cash no longer king. Their is a tipping point on the deposit/finance ratio that will make the amount you put down a no brainer. Ask the sales guy to incrementally increase the deposit in the finance calculator to the point the % finance cost doesn't then rise (because they have to make their money some how) I managed it to the exact £1. If you can get a deal like Tricolore you'd be doing well! Good luck and safe riding - pics when you get it please :-)
Old 25-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Ian-cm

I got to agree with all of the above. I'm sticking to cash as I hate finance deals etc so have been looking for older monsters etc but not had much luck. One of the local dealers had an 09 plate m1100 which almost affordable and when I discussed cash price the salesman pretty much lost interest in trying to sell me the bike and told me they would take 100 quid off the price and that was it so I walked away.

I spoke to a mate who's family is in the trade and he said older bikes just don't make profit since the dealers are trying to push the new bikes so hard that they really don't make a great deal on the bike and the profit is derived fro the finance and extra's. So it seems haggling a price can be limited these days. I also guess that the tueno card may have limited impact as they could just turn round and say go try the other bike then.

Cheers

Ian
Old 25-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yes, as above the dealer stands to make more if you sign up for finance, especially on a new bike. When I bought my monster I had the cash, but it didn't make any difference! By all means shop around though! But I doubt very much whether you'll get any discount esp. on a new bike. Dealers/stealers!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Wildfire

I went through something similar recently. I went to a dealer asking about a 848 Evo Corse SE they had in and was a 62 plate (no owners) and all the sales man wanted to do was get me to buy a 899 PCP.

When I wasn't persuaded, he wouldn't budge on the 848 price and wasn't keen to discuss finance. He just kept going on about how the 899 was a step above and anything else wasn't as good. After I bluntly said I couldn't afford the 899 and wanted the 848 he lost interest.

I went to MV instead.
Old 25-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
As said a dealer will be better off selling credit as they get a fee off it. That said Rally advice is solid and you can still get them to throw something in for free, push for as many services you can and parts discount. Good luck
Old 25-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Just almost 5 years ago I ventured into the world of buying a new bike, The just released 1100S but I saw they were offering the month old demo for sale for £8400 a saving of £1350. I tested it and was prepared to buy it but offered £8100. Theres where it all went strange. They wouldn't lower the price and decided they didn't really now want to sell the demo ( In white btw ). They then offered me a NEW zero miles 1100S in white for £8450. I was well hello how much ?. £8450 he replied. Can I have a red one please. No the red ones £9750 we don't sell as many white ones.

That was when I bit his arm off and the bikes still here in my garage only not now white. The savings got me termis ( which I only paid new £650 from ex ducati dealer selling stock ) touring seat, carbon extras and money in the bank. Cash deal no finance.

Bear in mind most want red bikes as its a Ducati. Ask how many white ones they have sold and I bet its less.
Ask for a deal you have nothing to lose. Ask other reputable Ducati dealers. I bought mine from CMW in Chichester 200 miles to and fro but could have bought from local . You don't even have to get them to service it as long as you go to a main dealer its fine.

Ask or you wont get.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
No wonder the world is going to hell in a handcart!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote