UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » custom tach and dash progress

Old 18-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #16
squiffything

It looks as thought the lamp is going to have to be so far forward you could run into the danger of it being in front of the wheel great if you are in a photo finish at some point but not to pleasing on the eye.

You could end up looking like one of the despatch riders from WW2 (my grand-pappy was one i've seen the piccies but don't get him started on the war stories)

An alternative might be to somehow fabricate something to sit it on the tank. It would have to hinge to allow access to the tank release but something in chrome or black would give a retro feel
Old 18-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #17
stef

I agree, it is going to be too big with the OEM tach.
I am going to buy one of those mini ones.
Old 24-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #18
stef

right,
new approach:

The hole at the top is for a Acewell unit.
Old 24-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #19
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Acewell, been looking atthose for a while and they look rather good . . .
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
stef

and of course, the bigger headlight will be very uselfull to hide all those wires around the headstock
Old 24-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #21
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Have you any piccies of the Acewell unit?
Old 24-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
stef

not yet, still waiting delivery. should be here tomorow. ti's the 2853, i beleive.
Old 24-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #23
Bodybag

Have you thought of a twin headlight unit instead? I know Beelzebub's a minger but with a pair of clocks sat over the top of the headlights it might not look so untidy.

http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/sho...9&si=beelzebub
http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/sho...4&si=beelzebub

Just an idea but if they were fitted inside some sort of enclosure it would hide all the headstock wiring as well.

Phil

Last edited by Bodybag; 24-09-2006 at 01:51 PM..
Old 24-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #24
stef

no, i thought about it, but i'd rather stick to the big one. just to keep the classic lines. having said that, i might change my mind once again.
Old 28-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #25
stef

i took a couple of hours to start the install of the acewell, at least electrically.
i got the neutral switch wiring slightly modified to short to ground, rather than 12, but the rest was pretty straight forward.
neutral, left, right and high beam working so far.
i still need to find a place to attach the speed sensor to the wheel.. looks tricky.

better pics maybe this weekend.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #26
stef

the fibreglass is dry on the first cast of the new headlight/dash:

still a lot of work to do, but it is getting there.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #27
squiffything

Stef I went over to the copdock bike show and auto jumble last week I almost picked up for you an old headlight unit for a 1930's bike. It had all the instumentation fitted in and really did look the part. £30 quid and it could have been yours. I can see why the styling is what your going for a classic retro look is going to be so different to the norm but will really suit the Monster
Old 07-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #28
stef

Cheers. oh well, part of the fun is making the thing, but thanks for looking anyway.
I hope this one will workout though. I'll keep you posted
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #29
squiffything

quick question stef how do you link to pics in a thread what url do you put in to link to the pics
Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #30
stef

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffything
quick question stef how do you link to pics in a thread what url do you put in to link to the pics
easy:
open a photobucket account (free) and upload your pics.
each pic has 3 associated "addresses", (URL, TAG and IMG), just copy the IMG line, and paste in your post. most forum engines understand this command, and will link to the picture, without uploading it on the forum.
(if you copied and pasted the URL line, you would get a link to your picture, rather than the picture itself.)