UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » WTF is Photobucket playing at

Old 15-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Flying Scot

WTF is Photobucket playing at

looks like I need to find somewhere new online to save pictures for forums like here as the pics have vanished with a stoopid update your account graphic replacing my pictures

any advice

thanks
Old 15-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
use postimage.org. It's been on the cards for years that Pbucket will install a paywall eventually

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
More details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Seems like you need to upgrade to a paid account, this will let you direct link to other web sites (paste a url into a page here) and to be able to download your own pictures!!
$399 is the going rate ??
For just using the service $9.99 a month.

You could use Google space but again you can't have direct links, just very long temporary links to post.

A collection is listed >> here <<

Anything that is free usually has strings, and for anything free and online always assume 'monetising' wil happen at some point.
Old 15-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Flying Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Seems like you need to upgrade to a paid account, this will let you direct link to other web sites (paste a url into a page here) and to be able to download your own pictures!!
$399 is the going rate ??
For just using the service $9.99 a month.

You could use Google space but again you can't have direct links, just very long temporary links to post.

A collection is listed >> here <<

Anything that is free usually has strings, and for anything free and online always assume 'monetising' wil happen at some point.
At $9.99 a month it is OK but $399 up front with them changing the TOS with no notice is ridiculous. For sure not a good way to retain your customers and what guarantee will they give that they will still be here in a year, if this is the way they behave.

I hate to think how many forums like here that are now covered in this nasty photobucket graphic and totally screwed up.

I am sure we all use free email services, just imagine if your email supplier said as of today I want $399 if you want to continue sending and receiving mails.

This and many many other forums are free so I cant agree with your suggestion that sooner or later all of these forums will be charging us users. BUT hey who knows, funnier things have happened AKA PHOTOBUCKET!!!
Old 15-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
http://imgur.com/
jonzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

'Free' e-mail and hosting just add a few more trackers than say google does, and if you actually map them ....... You trade information for the 'free' bits, google can do some fairly impressive data mining metrics with that. The tailored adverts that follow you around web pages hardly even scratch the surface.

And yes big online ruckus has followed PB's decision to change the TOS without any real publicised announcement.
Old 16-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Dave G
Imagineer

Im just going to delete my PB account, I only used it to link pics for posting on places like here so it has just made itself irrelevant. Turkey voted for christmas shocker.
Old 16-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Im just going to delete my PB account, I only used it to link pics for posting on places like here so it has just made itself irrelevant. Turkey voted for christmas shocker.
Likewise: mines already cleared and closed.

I'm not paying $400 to post photo's, and without that facility I've no use for it.
Old 16-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
Flying Scot

Angry Yes but

How are all these forums going to work as well as they did previously?

That is the big question.

How do we safely post pictures here as linking from another site is obviously not a wonderful or safe idea as PB have show us..

Never mind the destruction of the historical photo data on thousands if not millions of posts on forums world wide.

For sure they are all totally ****ed up now with all the pictures we posted from FB to illustrate what we were talking about now replaced by their stooopid FB graphic

I have in excess of 12TB of storage on my BigBlackBeast desktop so all my PB pics are safe BUT almost every forum I am on Car Mobike Sailing Aeronautics and Model Building now has been invaded by this FB graphic compromising and destroying what was a very very useful 'historical' resource.

TRULY internet vandalism of the highest order by PhotoBucket.

PBucket reminds me of the MOD and the UK governments aviation 'lack of policy' TSR2 The Fairy Delta The Harrier The Nimrod and more, never mind giving the Russians a nice RR jet engine to play with and copy which they put in the MIG 15.

I guess I have to build my own cloud server so I have and can retain control.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Answers on a postcard to THIS IS NOT PHOTOBUCKET Planet Earth
Old 16-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
Wasta

I've moved to Flickr. Pb appear to be on the edge of a cliff. Not many will pay a lump like that up front when there are so many ways to save images.
Old 17-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

So... a business only want people who are going to pay to use the service they provide shocker..!

(I'm not going to upgrade, I'll find somewhere else to use)
Old 18-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
Flying Scot

PICTURE Test

Old 18-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Darkness

A little large, but how has that been done with Wikimedia?
Old 21-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Flying Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
A little large, but how has that been done with Wikimedia?
sorry about the size i just found A MONSTER Picture {giggles} url and imaged it

trying to set up a safe secure online site for the pics i want to share. It looks like I need a home cloud or build a web site.

I can post from my google blog here too so maybe have two goggle blogs one for sailing and one for Mobikes and Aeronautics and other things.

the MONSTER Monster pic pic is just

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...r_696_2013.jpg

between ****[IMG][/IMG]****

from my blog a nice non mobike picture from St Barths Bucket 1917