UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Monster Down :(

Old 15-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Wildfire

Monster Down :(

So on Thursday night, 1 mile from my house a W reg e-Class Merc decided that redlights, traffic laws and the law in general did not apply to them.

Sitting at a very large roundabout where each exit is traffic light controlled (Rosehill on the A217). Lights went yellow, then green, I checked, pulled away, got across the next exit only to see a silver Merc run the lights. I hit the anchors, they did too.

The Ducati Safety pack did it's job and stopped me before hitting them, they stopped and then a split second later pulled away, smashing my indicator and overbalancing me, knocking me over, busting the indicator and cleared off into the distance.

The lovely people behind me hit the horns and as I tried to run after him to get the plate, they tried to drive round me. Eventually someone helped me get the bike up.

Called the police who said as I was ok, they declined to attend the scene and that I should look to find the driver myself.

Bike was just about ok to get home. When he cleared off he smashed the indicator, breaking the headlight surround, the removable toe peg on the gear lever is broken and the tank has a big ding out of it.

Rang the dealer and they said to do a quick repair will probably be around £1200 - 1500. So insurance it is.

Upon cursory inspection yesterday I may have frame damage so potential write off.

Insurance will go through the roof next year and I have to take Sourthern Fail to work and through Waterloo now.

Poor 821.
Old 15-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
garry

bugger, that's bad..
Old 15-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Sorry to read this, WTF is wrong with people...
Old 15-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Moco1961

unbelievable !............... glad to hear that you are ok at least and there are some decent folk around to at least help you move your bike.
Old 15-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
As Jez says, what is wrong with people! Sorry to hear of your troubles, but pleased your ok.
Old 15-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Sorry to hear that. Probably an uninsured driver, and the police don't want to know? Typical! Glad you're ok.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
MarkF

Sorry to hear what happened, personally i would report it in person to the Police Station as a failed to stop accident and insist a record is made, if they argue the toss point out that as details have not been exchanged you are legally required to report it under Sect 170 RTA 1988 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170 it pisses me off when people get palmed off like that. At least then you are covered if the other driver decides some maniac motorcyclist attacked their car. Also your insurance company may want it reported anyway.

So a W reg Silver merc may not be traceable and it may be a paperwork exercise, but who knows there maybe an ANPR camera on that road which could help etc. Or maybe I am just a bit old fashioned living in a bygone era before the cuts had consequences.

PS hope my exhaust is okay still!!!
Old 15-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Sorry to hear what happened, personally i would report it in person to the Police Station as a failed to stop accident and insist a record is made, if they argue the toss point out that as details have not been exchanged you are legally required to report it under Sect 170 RTA 1988 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170 it pisses me off when people get palmed off like that. At least then you are covered if the other driver decides some maniac motorcyclist attacked their car. Also your insurance company may want it reported anyway.

So a W reg Silver merc may not be traceable and it may be a paperwork exercise, but who knows there maybe an ANPR camera on that road which could help etc. Or maybe I am just a bit old fashioned living in a bygone era before the cuts had consequences.

PS hope my exhaust is okay still!!!
I got a CAV a number so it has been reported. Sadly checked the roads, no cameras.

The bike went down on the left hand side so manifolds and exhaust are all ok. Sadly there may be frame damage and the bike may be a write off. 😢
Old 15-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
slob

that sucks!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Go to local shops they might have camera also did you take witness details?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
Doggy

Bike: M796
Gutted for you mate.
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #12
boris
More Tools!

My Positive Thoughts are with you, hang in there. Car Dash-Cams seem to be flavour of the moment, but I can't fathom that given the advances in technology and micro electronics, there isn't one of the High (or low) end helmet manufacturers out there seizing the opportunity to offer an in-built camera into their helmets? Even a simple infinity focus job to a micro SD on a loop would go massive towards the horrors that a lot of us face daily?
Given the general decline in all matters tarmac related I can't believe this isn't exploited..
Old 16-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
BLUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris View Post
.....the horrors that a lot of us face daily?
If anyone really feels that they face horrors every day then they lack confidence and should either give up riding or take further training.

The way to stay alive is defensive riding and anticipating bad driving by others - the ride should be enjoyable not viewed as a horror journey.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT View Post
If anyone really feels that they face horrors every day then they lack confidence and should either give up riding or take further training.

The way to stay alive is defensive riding and anticipating bad driving by others - the ride should be enjoyable not viewed as a horror journey.
I am alive, but in this event, there was little I could do. I did blast it from the lights. Light were clearly green on my end. I did my checks and the car to my right had stopped, the second lane was empty. The car that ran the lights, just decided not to stop for the lights and came through the second lane.

The time before (5 years ago) was the same. Nothing I could have done, aside from not be there. I was standing at a roundabout, both feet on the ground. Stationary traffic. Guy behind me just drove into me. Got out and shouted, "you should have gone!"
Old 17-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
I am alive, but in this event, there was little I could do. I did blast it from the lights. Light were clearly green on my end. I did my checks and the car to my right had stopped, the second lane was empty. The car that ran the lights, just decided not to stop for the lights and came through the second lane.

The time before (5 years ago) was the same. Nothing I could have done, aside from not be there. I was standing at a roundabout, both feet on the ground. Stationary traffic. Guy behind me just drove into me. Got out and shouted, "you should have gone!"
A similar thing happened to me many years ago, I was punted from behind so hard it bent the Yamaha XS in half and both wings and bull bar on his Vauxhall Frontera were badly dented. I was thrown into the roundabout and lucky for me nothing was coming towards me.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote