UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Over revving

Old 15-07-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
PaulB

Bike: M800ie
Over revving

Hi I have recently acquired a monster 2000 900 ie s so its fuel injected. After new belts, oil sprockets and chain it rides well. Tick over is good but after a while when everything is up to temperature and I de accelerate the revs stay at about 2500 revs. If I pull the clutch in and rev it it stops. Have had this over revving and stopped while it still revving to check the cable which are fine. Took the air box off and cleaned around the intakes so don't look like a problem there. Have tried injection cleaner additive in with the fuel and are using E5 fuel. So have run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 06:21 AM   #2
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
The TPS might need resetting. A 900 Guru will come along soon and explain how to reset it.
Old 16-07-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I had this exact phenomenon with my 900ie after a bit of a fiddle with something or other. It was a badly routed cable.

I still think it's cables, not TPS, even though you say you have checked it/them.
Remember that you also have a fast idle cable coming down from the "choke" lever. (It's not a choke, but just increases the idle speed.) Check that it is fully forward and doesn't work it's way open as you ride.
With the engine running move the handlebars from lock to lock and see if you can alter the revs. Any difference will indicate one or both of the cables are tight and need to be re-routed.
With engine stopped open the throttle and let it snap shut to the stop. You can see this visually by watching the quadrant move and listen for the stop hitting. Feel for any resistance or roughness as you open the throttle slowly. Any reluctance to snap back freely or open smoothly could indicate a worn or stiff cable. You can try and lube it but it will probably need to be replaced. Also check the return spring for the quadrant.

I Think I got my cables the wrong side of something or other when I fitted new brake lines. It doesn't take much to upset the free working of the throttle cable in particular, but don't ignore the fast idle either.
Old 16-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
PaulB

Bike: M800ie
Thanks for the info, have checked both cables and no problem. When out for a ride and engine hot it started over revving so pulled over with it still revving and the quadrant and idle speed where both fully on the stops. Any more ideas please.
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
still revving and the quadrant and idle speed where both fully on the stops.
Sounds like it could be a TPS induced problem?

My 916, one day for no apparent reason started popping & farting, especially at low revs - wouldn't pull smoothly and the idle was all over the place (though mainly too slow).

Turns out one of the 2 retaining screws on the TPS had broken though still in place so looked OK and the TPS was moving on the throttle shaft.

Once reset it was as smooth as butter again.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I've had this on an '02 620ie, that turned out to be the throttle butterfly shaft developing excessive play and becoming a bit sticky, although you could definitely feel slack in the throttle cable when it occurred.
Incidentally, I think the fast idel cable is 20-30mm too short of ideal on these models too.
Once you've elimated a TPS issue: an air leak engine side of the throttle bodies, opening up when the engine gets warm, would cause the similar symptoms. a squirt of easy-start (or similar) around the outside of the throttle bodies should show this up, if it was the case.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That's a good call Rob. I had a balance pipe pop off my antique bike the engine side of the carbs and it ran fast just like in the op.

I assume you're suggesting spraying eaststart round the outside of the intake manifolds with the engine running to see if it makes it race?
Old 16-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #8
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
yes, that’s the one
slob is offline   Reply With Quote