UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Well, that makes a change

Old 29-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Well, that makes a change

Just got my renewal notice through for the bike insurance and, for the first time that I can remember, it's cheaper than last year. £20 cheaper, actually, which is nice.

Am I just lucky or is this a general trend?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Same here - I have a policy with 3 bikes on it and the renewal price was £60+ less this year. Some, but not all, could be accounted for by an increase in NCD on one of the bikes, but I would estimate that about £40 was still a reduction, so all good. Right up to the point that I admitted there were now a pair of after-market cans on the M1000, and the price went up by £35
Old 29-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Mine has increased by £13 to £343 for the 1100 Evo & PS.
Includes RAC UK & European breakdown & £15000 helmet & leathers cover.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 03:49 PM   #4
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Mine has increased by £13 to £343 for the 1100 Evo & PS.
Includes RAC UK & European breakdown & £15000 helmet & leathers cover.
Some expensive leathers there...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

Not had this years renewal yet but last year I got the usual, a bit added on for no good reason, quote but after doing the 'dance' ended up paying slightly less than the previous year which was a first - normally end up slightly more or around the same.

Will see what happens this time round.

Old 29-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
Luddite

I remember reading that, from this year, there are new rules governing insurance renewals.

I think we've all had this experience - in the past you'd get your renewal, which had gone up, you'd then get another quote as a new customer for the exact same policy and it would be less.

Well, the new rules mean that the renewal premiums for existing customers cannot be greater than the price quoted to an equivalent new customer for the equivalent policy.

So maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 29-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #7
dunf

Bike: M1200s
well, i just got mine and its doubled!!

multi-bike (4 bikes) - 50yr old, low risk postcode, garaged, 30yrs riding, ex-racer, RoSPA gold advanced qualified, etc etc - can't really get a better set of criteria or circumstances for insurance but despite that its went from £380 to £700. The reason? I've a monster 1200 instead of last years street triple 765. Apparently its a mega powerful bike that attracts high claim rates....apparently.

back on the insurance roller coaster again. That will be another 2 days of phone calls i'll never get back..
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
crawsue
Bronze Member

4 bikes + car including breakdown cover from CN....down from £618 to £592....think Vince is spot on with new customer rules.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Not had this years renewal yet but last year I got the usual, a bit added on for no good reason, quote but after doing the 'dance' ended up paying slightly less than the previous year which was a first - normally end up slightly more or around the same.

Will see what happens this time round.
Well further to the above, I received a renewal invitation today - up almost 50%.

Looks like I'm 'dancing' again.

Old 31-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Well further to the above, I received a renewal invitation today - up almost 50%.

Looks like I'm 'dancing' again.
Called them today and they wouldn't shift a penny, not even if I halved the allowed mileage - when did mileage allowances become a thing anyway?

Funny thing is they used the new 'fair pricing' rules (brought in to stop overcharging) as a justification for the price and assured me it wouldn't be much, if any, more for next year's renewal but that this year's price was not negotiable, cost of living increase etc.

I wouldn't have minded if it had gone up by the increase in said cost of living/inflation but a 50% increase is just taking the pish.

So I've gone elsewhere and got it for £50 less than last year's price and with better coverage.

Old 31-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Luddite

Quote:
Called them today and they wouldn't shift a penny...

So I've gone elsewhere and got it for £50 less than last year's price and with better coverage.
Result! Their loss DD.

It would be interesting to see what quote you got if you went through their website as a new customer...
Old 31-03-2022, 05:24 PM   #12
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Result! Their loss DD.

It would be interesting to see what quote you got if you went through their website as a new customer...
I would but it's not easy as the bikes, being modified, agreed value etc. all need to be talked through and can't do online so it takes a while, which is why I've been with them for some years as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Took me around 45 minutes to get it all sorted with the new company, I was going to try a few others but was happy enough with the first I tried (Footman James, BTW) so, as you say their (Carole Nash) loss.

The only oddity is that, because the bikes are on a classic policy by virtue of being 20+ years old then the 'riding other bikes' is also only for 20+ yr old bikes - so I can only borrow yer bike if it's an old'un...

Old 31-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The only oddity is that, because the bikes are on a classic policy by virtue of being 20+ years old then the 'riding other bikes' is also only for 20+ yr old bikes - so I can only borrow yer bike if it's an old'un...

Would lead me to think that it's you the rider that's being insured in which case the bikes would seem to be secondary so why are the bike details so important? I know that's not the case but it just seems crazy to me to restrict the rider in that way. Why are you such a risk? I get risk management, I deal with it in my job every day but I just don't get insurance. It just seems like a big screw to me!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #14
Dukedesmo

'Tis strange for sure but I can't remember the last time I rode someone else's bike so it's not something that worries me.

But whatever happened to just insuring a vehicle without all the questions on how/when/where and for how long you're going to use it, you know like in the olden days?

Seems to me that UK insurance has become so complicated/greedy by all the stipulations.

As an example, my Sister lives in Italy, she insures her car and it is properly insured as in, anyone with a licence can drive it, even me if I go over there with a UK licence, AFAIK same in USA and many other countries.

I've heard insurers say that it's so they can make the cost more reasonable etc. but last time I enquired, costs in Italy were similar and my Sister doesn't get asked how many miles she wants.

Old 31-03-2022, 06:47 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Just got a quote on gocompare for my classic and found it quite agreeable.
Out of curiosity I put the same info in for Carole Nash and it was double plus £37. Footman James was even more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: