UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Blackening Stainless Steel

Old 20-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Blackening Stainless Steel

I've just had a small batch of stainless bits chemically blackened for a customer's commission. The process is also know as "Black Anodising" somewhat misleadingly.

I know this will be of interest to Grumpy as he was considering doing this to the fasteners on his Monster.

Almost any size or shape of part can be done and it can also be done to steel although the places that do steel blackening can't always do stainless

The finish is matt on the plain nuts and bolts, it comes out more satin on the polished parts.

I had this done at MP Eastern at Trinity road, Lowestoft. https://www.mpeastern.co.uk/ Call 01502 573 047.
Their minimum charge is £75+vat and my batch was way under that, so if you're considering this, make sure to get everything together and do it in one batch as a bike's worth still won't go over the minimum charge.
Turnaround is 7-10 days and I'm pleased with the quality and service, in fact they're very nice people to deal with.. Only yards from where we set off on the Coast to Coast run, in fact we rode past it.

I also found another company offering this service with a 3 day turnaround but a £125+vat minimum charge. That is Century Heat Treatments in Birmingham. https://www.centuryhtp.co.uk/staybla...caAo2fEALw_wcB
I didn't use them as my small batch would not have been cost effective.

Old 21-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Had pretty good results using this stuff

https://surfinchemical.com/products/ni-black-40

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
Nasher

Bike: M900
Looking good Mr G

Not sure if I'm confused about exactly what process you've had done.

I Know the Blackening process for Mild steel as Chemical Blackening.
But it's often called Black Anodising as it's a process of converting a thin surface layer on the outside of the steel part to an Oxide, then the Black is created by dipping the part into hot Oil, which not only colours the part by seeping into the porous oxide layer, but seals it and hardens it.

Anodising Aluminium is exactly the same as the surface is turned into a Porous layer of Aluminium Oxide, it's dipped into a coloured Dye solution then dipped in hot water to seal the surface and harden it.

Not to be confused with any process that adds a layer of something different to the surface and makes the part slightly bigger.
Plating, painting etc.

If you electronically strip an Anodised part it will get smaller.

Last edited by Nasher; 21-12-2021 at 11:40 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks for the heads up to the Sur Fin Kato. I searched hard for a DIY kit but found nothing in the UK, plenty for doing steel though.

I can't claim to know exactly what the process is for Stainless Nasher. I just said make 'em Black willya? I know it differs from steel.
It's described as Black Anodising on their website (which I linked to), but I think it involves a lot of nasty caustic chemicals and witchcraft.
Curiously the parts all came bathed in a light oil and nicely presented in little paper bags (like sweeties) which soaked up the oil. I hope this doesn't imply that the resilience of the stainless is compromised in some way?

MP Eastern also offer an anodising service for aluminium and electroplating for other metals too. Century also offer these services at a higher minimum charge for small batches such as we would be likely to commission for bikes.
I posted them up for your favourites bar for the future should anyone be interested.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: