UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » ULEZ Options?

Old 21-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Tipusss

Bike: S4Rs
ULEZ Options?

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2006 S4RS in great condition with lots of extras, am very excited about riding it and replacing my current Supersport S '17 as a daily rider... However I live inside of the extended range of ULEZ (coming to effect this coming Monday) and just realised that the bike won't meet the emissions requirements. So every time I would take it out of the garage, the £12.50 will automatically leave my bank account...

It's more of a hypothetical question, but is it possible to retrofit some kind of modern exhaust to lower the emissions and (probably even harder) register the bike as lowered emissions?

The bike currently has full Termi with no Cat, so not sure I'd be switching that beauty anyway, just wondering and thinking out loud
Tipusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Have you considered changing the numberplate?
Old 21-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Darkness

Or moving house?
Old 21-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Have you considered changing the numberplate?
Or 'losing' it...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Although your 2006 S2R is only Euro 2, it nevertheless meets the ULEZ exemption criteria (i.e. it emits less than 0.15 g/km NOx).

You need to get a copy of the Certificate of Conformity and register it with TfL.

This thread is useful and also shows other S2R owners who have already registered their bikes and may be able to give you a copy of the CoC.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=57125
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Get it tested at riverside motorcycles, as long as it produces less than (I think it’s) 0.15g NOx per mile it gets an exemption. I’l be heading there shortly to get various bikes tested.
One of my mates just got a ‘90s Honda 650 traile tested at 0.02g NOx, so I suspect most bikes will get through.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
One of my mates just got a ‘90s Honda 650 traile tested at 0.02g NOx, so I suspect most bikes will get through.
About the same as the S2R, which shows NOx of 0.022 g/km on the CoC.

(I think the ULEZ test costs £175 so I'd try to get the CoC first.)
Old 21-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #8
slob

I got a CoC from Ducati UK (at nominal cost) for one of my 03 M1000s, and it doesn’t mention emissions anywhere.
Old 21-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
I got a CoC from Ducati UK (at nominal cost) for one of my 03 M1000s, and it doesn’t mention emissions anywhere.
Lucaz got a copy of the Euro2 S2R 800 from BeePee and quotes the figure of hydrocarbons, CO and NOx, which he said were on the the CoC.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...8&postcount=34
Old 21-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Did you get the complete document, Rob? The emissions details should be in the additional information section at point 46. This is page 2 of a Panigale CoC.

Old 21-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #11
slob

interesting, I shall enquire…
Old 21-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #12
Luddite

D'oh! Sorry, Tipusss, for some reason I thought you had an S2R but I just re-read your original post and see it's actually an S4RS

Despite that, I'm sure the S4RS will be ULEZ compliant, you'll just have to obtain the CoC direct from Ducati (unless another forum member has already got one and can share it with you). If you read through that thread I linked to earlier, you'll find one member successfully obtained a CoC from Ducati by providing copies of ID (licence) and V5. Check out this post for the contact number. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...3&postcount=36
Old 22-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #13
Tipusss

Bike: S4Rs
Thank you everyone! Lots of good advice!

Riverside motorcycles test booked for Feb, in the meantime I'll no trying to locate the CoC docs. Will post an update as soon as possible
Tipusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #14
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
From my experience TFL are pretty incompetent and unreasonable. They refused to accept my V5 clearly stating my bike met the EURO 3 standard, as it was a 2006 year and didn’t also specify the exact nox reading. However they accepted 2007 years without question. Nor would they accept a CoC for the exact same bike, model and year (but a different reg that they had already accepted was compliant) as proof that my bike (2006 S2R 1000) was also compliant. So each owner had to get his own CoC.

The best I could do with Ducati was to get the CoC for £50 (less than they were originally asking). After getting and providing this TFL we’re still rubbish. After a LOT of time and complaining to TFL including making a formal complaint to the ombudsman pointing out the delays, illogicality and unreasonableness of their position they eventually included my bike on the no need to pay on the payment screen and promised to fix it on the ULEZ online checker. They offered me a £50 ‘goodwill gesture’ (Ie they paid for my CoC as they had no leg to stand on insisting on it in the first place, but didn’t want to admit that given the precedent it would set) which I accepted.

Earlier this year with the impending ULEZ extension I checked the online checker and saw it is still wrong for my bike, 2 years after they promised to fix it so another formal complaint is underway…

I wish you good luck. Maybe they’ve got their act together finally (tho’ I doubt it). If not try the ombudsman if they don’t play ball. Trying the Mayors office is useless (they just pass it to TFL who do nothing) though you may get somewhere with your London assembly member raising it if you run into problems…
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I thought that the bikes from '02 on were e3 compliant? i think there is sticker on my airbox to that effect, although my own bike may not be due to spec updates at the factory?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote