UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » New brake and clutch lines

Old 29-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
New brake and clutch lines

I just want to express my appreciation and recommendation for OHA Motorsport.
I just received the clutch line which when fitted will complete the whole set of Hel clutch and brake lines on my Monster.

I like the Hel lines as you can order exactly what you want, they are all made to order anyway. They come with the correct stainless banjo bolts and copper washers. They are stainless throughout and you can chose from a selection of sheathing colours including clear.
I find the most economical way to buy single lines is via this link. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Perfo...4383.l4275.c10 Dual lines like the front brake can ordered by contacting OHA Motorsport and you save a bit on postage ect.

The great thing about the way the banjo eyes are swaged on is that you can gently swivel them with a bit of force and they don't leak, they are designed to do this.

OHA Motorsport is based in NI and if you phone them you get an extremely helpful gentleman with a beautiful soft and reassuring Irish accent.. Lovely.

Unfortunately next day delivery from NI has been scuppered by incompetence and ignorance on a monumental scale.. You know what I'm talking about! I'd like to see a good business supported despite the fiasco!.. It only takes an extra couple of days.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 29-01-2021 at 01:29 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Unfortunately for us Gary I think this is the start of things as we will soon find, compared to the bigger longterm picture of buying European motocycle parts and importing them to the UK.

I notice that a lot of European suppliers from places like Germany and France are now including a 20% VAT tax in the price.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yes Darren, It's a complete sh!tshow, but not a subject I really want to engage in on here at all. I think it will get a better when people start to get over themselves and find ways round.
At least NI is only a slight postal delay, which I'm sure will be smoother sooner rather than later... How fast do you need good quality brake lines FFS?
Old 29-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Thanks for posting this, Mr G. It's great when you find a good product and a good supplier. I like the sound of those banjos - a bit of adjustability would be a boon for achieving a perfect fit.

I'll bookmark this for future reference.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I notice that a lot of European suppliers from places like Germany and France are now including a 20% VAT tax in the price.

The VAT change shouldn't noticeably affect the cost of EU purchases. Yes, you'll have to pay UK VAT at 20% but, against that, you won't be paying whatever the local EU VAT equivalent would be. Since the UK rate is still broadly the same as the EU's, the difference should be minimal.

For example, look at Carpimoto. They're based in, and ship from, Italy and sell worldwide. Before Brexit, an item would have cost the same whether it was to be sent to the UK or any other EU country. But now, a single Brembo disc for my Evo is quoted at €130.74 whereas for Italy the price is €159.50 a difference of 22%, (which is the VAT rate in Italy).

Yes, you'll have to pay UK VAT, (probably to those friendly people at Royal Mail), and maybe import duties too, but you're not going to pay two lots of VAT.

Incidentally, if you buy via an online marketplace, (e.g. eBay, Amazon), and the value of the delivery is under £135, then it's their responsibility to collect and account for the UK VAT, so you pay what you see on the screen and there won't be any additional charges.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

There may be a few exceptions and a few companies playing the game and reducing the price by 20% but for most they will likely just add 20% onto the price.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite
... Yes, you'll have to pay UK VAT, (probably to those friendly people at Royal Mail), and maybe import duties too, but you're not going to pay two lots of VAT ...
and the carrier's collection fee, while they hold your stuff for ransom, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite
... Incidentally, if you buy via an online marketplace, (e.g. eBay, Amazon), and the value of the delivery is under £135, then it's their responsibility to collect and account for the UK VAT, so you pay what you see on the screen and there won't be any additional charges.
Which just means the little guys who offer good service will go under unfortunately
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I like the sound of those banjos - a bit of adjustability would be a boon for achieving a perfect fit.
Yes it makes all the difference to be able to order with confidence. So long as you order the correct offset banjos, it's just a matter of carefully rotating the ends to get the lines to sit perfectly. Rather than do this on the bike and risk straining the banjo bolts or even breaking a casting, I put the banjo in clean soft jaws of a vice and grip the ferrule firmly with a good set of pliers and rotate, They go quite easily but you do have to "mean it".

There are lots of standard lines listed if you go to the OHA shop on eBay from the link in the OP, which come with the correct fittings for the bike in question.
The stainless banjo bolt with bleed nipple for the clutch is a thing of joy.

The big question is; will this keep my clutch fluid clear???

BTW, is there an Elephant in the room?.. And I'm not talking Cagiva..
Old 29-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

One of the reasons given for UK VAT increasing from 17.5% to 20% was "enforced harmonisation of VAT rates across the EU"

What are the chances of UK VAT being reduced to 17.5% (or even 15% as it was originally) now we are no longer part of the EU?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #10
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza
The big question is; will this keep my clutch fluid clear?
don’t think so
Old 29-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
One of the reasons given for UK VAT increasing from 17.5% to 20% was "enforced harmonisation of VAT rates across the EU"

What are the chances of UK VAT being reduced to 17.5% (or even 15% as it was originally) now we are no longer part of the EU?
Absolutely none!
BTW, thanks for the link Mr. G.
Old 29-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #12
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
... UK VAT increasing from 17.5% to 20% was "enforced harmonisation of VAT rates across the EU"...
simply not true, I don’t want to get into politics but the harmonisation stated it should be a minimum of 15%
Old 29-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #13
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

My error. If memory serves, it was presented by the UK government as the reason why the VAT rate had to increase to 20% which is not the same thing as an EU directive

Last edited by bigredduke; 29-01-2021 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: BTW the "enforced" was Daily Mail/Express lingo not a personal view
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #14
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I used Goodridge hoses, they have an olive between the banjo and the hose so if you get a reasonably good approximation of the angle from the caliper/master cylinder the hose alignment is very easy
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Goodridge have been about a long time and was the go to in the seventies.
I think they're a bit fiddly with lots of bits to order to make a line and the business of cutting the hose nicely and so on. The lines always look quite chunky and the ends look a bit "busy".. Expensive compared to Hel too, which are neat and slim and only a click away..