UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Monster M900 1999 - UKMOC Gen 2

Old 25-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Froggy46

Monster M900 1999 - UKMOC Gen 2

Well, it is Christmas Day, the house has been invaded so no better time for a presentation on the forum!
In fact the bike is not a new one, it use to belong to PedroII from this very house!
This is how I got the bike a few years ago:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=51563

With 9700 miles on the clock, it had many of the good bits I was after: clip-ons, looked after ... and Black! It was the perfect start for a project
,obviously, a never ending one! And here it is once it got home:

The bit to work on, apart for a good service and belt change were the engine paint that although not bad, needed a refresh.
As I used the bike on my daily commute, all the big jobs were done in winter:
Year 1: engine refresh, lightened fly wheel, carb stripped, U/S cleaning and overhauled, exhaust cleaned, new silencers, new KN filter...

By the start of spring 2016 the Monster looked like this:

Old 25-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well done for posting.... The perfect antidote for a day like today..
Old 25-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
hose pipes and I just think ,,,#

Old 25-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Froggy46

Gazza, you are right there! Nothing worth watching on the box and I have given up the trivial pursuit! So here are a few more snippets of the work done...

Dull and cracked light bracket got replaced by something far more exotic from this parish :

And I did manage to find this great clutch cover, Cagiva original!

It was pretty scruffy but came up nicely once tidied up!
Before painting:

Old 25-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Keep it coming.... I'll join in tomorrow.
Old 26-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
Froggy46

And the finished cover ... for the time being at least, until the full engine gets a paint refresh!

Old 26-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
Like that, very nice.
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
Darkness

Bike: M900
Nice Elefant find: Someone's had hours of fun cutting out that cover!
Old 26-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Froggy46

Yes, nicely done so I was wondering if that was an original aftermarket or a very well done mod. However I thought the original cover is a twin skin one, this one is a cast alloy.
Old 26-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Froggy46

Next instalment of the monster story,
Having started on the carbon path (a very slippery one!) I sourced a couple of original CF side panels after having failed with replica ones... (wrong weave, not a great fit, etc..!), the bike being the Monster Dark version, it had plastic side covers and those were pretty bashed so good excuse to upgrade!

Not wanting to take the whole engine out for a refresh, I did get a colour match for the engine cover and after much painful paint stripping and sanding the spayed covers look good for a few more years (then it will be time for a full engine respray).

Other bits were new rear light looking OEM but with LED and integrated number plate light and indicators. I did want to tidy things up and the big orange lumps had to go but I did want to get something looking like it came out the factory with.
I did trace those Traf-X (Carpimoto) and though they did look right! I later found out that Traf-X supply the Ducati performance and Triumph official aftermarket... so I wasn’t that far off!

Old 26-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy46 View Post
Yes, nicely done so I was wondering if that was an original aftermarket or a very well done mod. However I thought the original cover is a twin skin one, this one is a cast alloy.
The alloy cover fitted to '94 has an Elefant too.
It is single skin alloy with the heavier flange [So it doesn't need the rubber gasket].
It looks like whoever machined yours started with the standard casting, but whether it was someone at a factory, or Luigi in a shed, they've made a nice job of it.
Old 26-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Froggy46

Thanks Darkness, rubber gasket will go away soon then!!
Old 26-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Those gold chain adjusters & endplates are a new addition too?

Nice bike amigo, dropped bars & upgraded indicators are a couple of the mods on mine too. Great minds think alike perhaps but now I'm going to duck! LOL.
Old 26-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Froggy46

Yes, the adjusters and rear plate were one of the first things to come in, original ones looked like they had spend some time in a canal... side plate were bent, looked like the were made from mince pie trays!
Parts came from German supplier MVS. Trying to stay on tasteful side and not going too bling!
Old 26-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
Froggy46

Keeping up with the updates: Winter 2016 and I was then working on the chassis. The bike getting a bit lively on the Essex back roads, it did really show that some freshening and improvements were required!

Wheels were looking also a bit tired so, full strip down, fresh powder coating satin black, new valves, news bearings, new crush drives...
with this done, new sticky Rossi Corsa fitted, the front discs were going to look out of place, so it was time for a strip down, 2K paint and and new set of Ti bolts

Before:

After, with new bearings and crush drives:

The work on the discs... paint was coming off really easily, masking was an absolute pain!

But looked great once done!

And fitted!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: