UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » Monster S4Rs versus Monster Evo 1100 test

Old 26-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Monster S4Rs versus Monster Evo 1100 test

Right, firstly I would like to say thanks to MCN for giving me the opportunity today to test the new Evo 1100 against my S4Rs. I will start by giving my unbiased opinion of the Evo 1100 as a stand alone bike;
Ducati Evo 1100

The bike is very comfortable and gives a feeling of sitting on it, rather than in it. The foot pegs feel lower than normal, but don't deck out when ridden in a spirited fashion. The wet clutch is very light and quiet in operation. The ABS was tested and worked well when provoked, without any unnerving sounds or feelings. I don't think the traction control came into action during the day. The dash panel has numerous features including lap times, ABS on or off, traction control settings etc. The main screen is the rev counter and can be seen well, the speedo not so well. (More later!)
Engine wise, it pulls best between 4000 - 7000 revs and the rev limiter comes in at just over 8000 revs with two red lights to warn you. Under 4000 revs the engine vibrates alot and doesn't like it unless it's in a low gear. At the national speed limit of 60 mph, you can only comfortably travel in 4th gear, as in 6th it is at 2500 revs and shakes like the perverbial. If you are into wheelies, or not wanting them, the latter people will be happier. They can be induced in first or second gear with a pull and snap of the throttle and are easy to control up to 50mph or so, but not done under pure power with ease.
The engine has a unique noise between 3000 - 4500 revs. It sounds like a tappet or knocking noise under acceleration, but soon goes when above those revs? (The clutch hides any noises on an RS!)
Overall I would say that if you hadn't experienced a more powerful bike, or wanted a more powerful bike, you would be very happy with it indeed; however, when compared to a S4Rs, it is lacking in power by a considerable margin.

Comparing The Two

The S4Rs has alot more grunt from the outset, it pulls harder from any revs and takes off with ease leaving the Evo in it's wake. It will pull a gap of a 100 metres over a 1/2 mile run and that is whilst fighting to keep the front on the ground as well! The S4Rs is not as comfortable as the Evo and shakes it's head more. The suspension has more settings and quality in the Ohlins, but feels firmer and harsh unless softened off. This would be better on a track though. You feel more 'in' the S4Rs than the Evo. Ground clearance seems less on the RS as well, decking your feet with ease, which is odd. The Evo wins for comfort and newness, but the RS is the classic racer and seemingly always will be. If it's fun you want over short distances, find an RS, if you want more comfort and newness, the Evo is a great bike if you keep the revs up over 4000. The Evo is better at 30 mph as well.

My winner though is;

because on a PRIVATE ROAD, I like to play..............

May I end today's report by thanking the Cambridgeshire Constabulary for saving me having to carry my licence home with me. I did mention the Evo's speedo, it reads a two digit figure, when in fact you are into the three digit zone. Mmmm

Last edited by Rally; 27-04-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
randall356

Thanks for the great review. Those images are awesome, take it they were professionally taken?
Old 26-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
rac3r

I want RS
Old 26-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Rally
Taking life easy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall356 View Post
Thanks for the great review. Those images are awesome, take it they were professionally taken?
Yes, they are superb. They were taken by MCN and may be in it next week or the next.

Tomorrows edition of MCN looks good with a great write up on the Diavel. Now put that engine in an Evo with Ohlins suspension and you have your first order!
Old 26-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
bex

Awesome pics. Last one made me laugh!

So did you get nicked?!

Last edited by bex; 26-04-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Old 26-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Great write up Alun, and fantastic pictures...!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Rally
Taking life easy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbex View Post
So did you get nicked?!
YES.

The question is; Is that the first ticket for an Evo?
Old 26-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
vtaggart

Great report and pictures, starting to like the evo now I wasn't sure about the frt pipes at the start but they are growing on me. Like the stacked tailpipes really tidies up the rear will look fab with a tailtidy.

Won't be changing the S2R1 would only miss the dry clutch.

Vince.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
Great write-up and fabulous photos. The RS in that colour is the best looking Monster of all, despite the radiator!
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Rally
Taking life easy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Matthews View Post
Great write-up and fabulous photos. The RS in that colour is the best looking Monster of all, despite the radiator!
Thanks Dave, I agree. Funny that.
Old 26-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
desmo

Nice pics & write up, I didn't like the Streetfighter in original trim, until I saw a blinged up one at the Italian Festival in Bristol, it looked fab with Termi's & other tasteful bling on it though & I think the same will be true of the Evo.

Sorry your day was tainted by plod, how much over the limit were you?
Old 27-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
Mr.Number

Bike: S2r 1000

Great little review.

Youv gotta love the S4RS what a great bike. At the moment theres only a couple of bikes i would part ex the S2R for and the RS is one of them.

Posts like this just serve as a reminder of how Ducati hit the sweet spot with the design and spec of the original monster.
Mr.Number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I liked the evo when I saw a black one at the nec, but I have to say that, from the picture of your bike next to the red evo, your older style bike is just soooo much nicer.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
S1VWL

I might be biased, but I still think the S4R(s) is still the best looking monster made to date.
Old 27-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
samieb

A good write up Rally, great to see that non journalistic comments from Ducati riders can give an open opinion. Your S4RS is something different though, a full on SBK engine in a naked bike is WKD tbh. The SF to me is the same as an S4RS but the Monster is the better bike in that respect. With a 1098 engine in the SF it isn't sold on me, I think its too radicle and hence I prefer the M1100S. I think that Ducati had a better idea with the MTS as an 1198.

Anyway you pays your money and takes your choice, each to their own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: