UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Take care with keys for the newer bikes (696, 1100, ...)

Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Snips

Exclamation Take care with keys for the newer bikes (696, 1100, ...)

I read on another Monster board that someone had broken the tip off their 696 key and had problems (not quite as bad as a missing red key, but hassle and expense nevertheless).

I had a look at the key for my bike, and edge-wise on, it is certainly thin and liable to bend or break.

This may well apply to the other newer Ducatis with new style keys too.

Take care with those keys, y'all.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
That is madness making a key that is liable to bend or break!

I'v a 2005 S4R and the key is a nice solid piece of metal, why would they go to something liable to break? .........i'm in danger of ranting now, so will wind it in!
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Duke_Hatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4R Dude View Post
That is madness making a key that is liable to bend or break!

I'v a 2005 S4R and the key is a nice solid piece of metal, why would they go to something liable to break? .........i'm in danger of ranting now, so will wind it in!
That's very true. My CB500 had a key problem when it was new. It was a normal key, but it used to twist tlightly in use, without me noticing, and I couldn't get the ignition to turn properly. I took it back and the mechanic spotted it and straightend it for me. So I got another key cut which cured the problem. It seemed the standard keys were just a bit soft.

This won't be much help because I believe Monster keys (Like most/all ingnition keys these days?) have a coded chip in them.......

Worth bearing in mind though, so thanks for the heads up

Tags
keys