UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Guzzi 1100 custom build

Old 03-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #31
buzzer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Surely that's a 'Tonti' frame? if so it is basically like a T3/Le Mans etc. it certainly looks like the frame on my Le Mans.

Granted the forks and steerer tube are longer but I would imagine that wouldn't be too hard to alter or, just use clip-ons to lower the bars.

Interesting build though but I have to ask, where do you find these £500 base bikes?

it is a Tonti frame... but the swinging arm is a lot longer, the forks are longer, as is the head stock. I did consider shortening things, but its a lot of cost/work and I didn't want to go down the cafe racer look... more hybrid bobber type look

I have been very lucky in the past buying bikes... I do a blog which a lot of people follow, and a few times I have mentioned I am looking for another bike to build, and people contact me and offer me stuff... Also on Facebook, people contact you with offers of bikes....

Last edited by buzzer; 03-04-2022 at 04:06 PM..
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:33 PM   #32
buzzer

no matter how I tried I couldn’t get the number plate to look right on the rear of the bike… so on this build its going on the side, which kind of fits with the look I want to achieve…

Old 10-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #33
buzzer

Its been a while... I tend to have the summer off from garage projects, holidays, days out, bike rides take over! However I had a few spare days and thought I would make use of the warm days and paint the tank. It was badly damaged when I bought it, so I cut some holes in the underside and knocked the dents out. it takes an age to get it to shape, in fact as the metal had stretched, so I cut a 1mm slot in it, planished it, which closed the gap, and then welded the slot up! its nicely to shape, just the decals to put on now

Another little job was to redo the speedo… I want to keep this build as clean as I can and wanted a smaller speedo. I decided to use one of the cheap GPS modules which is just 55mm diameter. I made a new housing for it, and will finish the bracket off when I start the assembly. it been in the car for a week on test!

the good news is when this one is complete... there is another Ducati waiting at the back of the garage!

Old 11-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #34
buzzer

All finished... I always have my heart in my mouth on that last coat of lacquer over the decals!

I know a lot of people struggle with paintwork, its not that hard if you follow a process, so I have written a guide on my blog if anyone is interested...

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects...aying-at-home/

Old 12-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #35
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
lovely colour
Old 12-08-2022, 09:54 PM   #36
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

All Buzzer's builds end up that colour - he must have bought a job lot cheap
Do admit that it is a good colour for a bike, as it works well with silver or grey or black or even white, red would be challenging though.

Last edited by 350TSS; 12-08-2022 at 10:51 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #37
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
All Buzzer's builds end up that colour - he must have bought a job lot cheap
Do admit that it is a good colour for a bike, as it works well with silver or grey or black or even white, red would be challenging though.
yes, its become my signature colour!

Out in the sunshine for the first time in a while… I am now happy with the look, and it now all needs to come apart for the frame to be tided up and painted silver (matches my other bikes!) I will be doing a mechanical rebuild at the same time.

Old 15-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #38
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
My Favourite Guzzi colour scheme - it's even got a wee bit of orange! Go on - you might as well do the cam covers as well......

alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #39
Jam911

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Nice line up
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #40
buzzer

Here is the speedo and warning lights finished, I am pleased with how this has come out, i wanted this to be as clean as I could… as with all electronic components I like to rubber mount them… so I have used some small grommets and spacers. The GPS speedo has a nice little feature which tells you which direction you are traveling in!

Old 21-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #41
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
That's top quality as always Tony,great build thread
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #42
buzzer

Autumn arrives… Bike rides become less frequent, and the holiday and days out season slows down, so its back in the garage! the bike is now in the stage where all the fabrication is done and it all needs taking apart and cleaning and painting. Engine removal was quite easy with the removable frame rails and it was all soon apart and the engine and gearbox on the bench. I finished off all the welding on the frame and removed all the unused lugs to get that clean look, and sent it off to the powder coaters.

I will be doing a full engine gearbox and drive unit rebuild, mainly to vapour blast the cases. This of course means making a few special tools! First off was an extra long 32mm socket. I cut down a standard one and extended it with some thick wall tube.

next was a tool to undo the 27mm nut on the gearbox output shaft. you need to hold the shaft as well as turn the but so it needs to accommodate this. I used one of the spare Ducati wheel nut spanners I had laser cut years ago and bored it to shape on my new milling machine. Picture of that to follow!

next up took some thought… I needed to hold the shaft while I undid the nut. It would have been Ideal to use an old UJ but I didn’t have one… But what I did have was an old drive shaft. Out of this I made a stepped broach in the the lathe and then hardened it. With this I was able to broach a set of splines in a block of 10mm alloy, cut to fit a large spanner. It worked a treat!

finally, I made a tool to remove the castellated nut on the input shaft from an old socket, and a tool to hold the clutch hub from an old clutch plate. I think that may be it as far as special tools go!

I have been debating replacing my milling machine for a long time… but I have had it for almost 45 years and its like an old friend! over the years it done a lot of work, but its a 1929 machine and has its limitations! When my wife asked me what I wanted for my Birthday it was an easy answer! The old machine has gone to a good home where I know it will be looked after and used…

Old 02-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #43
buzzer

I much prefer the look of the older round barrel engines... so out came the angle grinder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLqOUEy0VA

Old 02-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #44
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That looked amazingly easy on your video considering the difference in price of round and square barrelled models! Just the rocker cover corners giving the game away now. It should only take a few of your earth minutes to sort that.

Would I be right in thinking there's two plug holes in the head? They look too close to get plug caps on if so?

Edit; Scrub that, I worked out that the lower hole is a head stud.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 02-10-2022 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Thought for a second.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #45
buzzer

the square covers will stay for a while until I can get some round ones...

Time to overhall the hydraulics… just waiting for some new bolts to assemble the callipers. everything was in surprisingly good condition, just a strip and rebuild needed. Then onto the job I hate most… Polishing! I have a 2 HP 3000 RPM motor I use for this. Its a long, filthy and somewhat dangerous job. I try to do it all in one day as you get filthy, and its the sort of dirt that won’t wash off with hand soap, so I have to use washing up liquid!

I have also rebuilt the forks and put in new seals and dust covers, and some fresh oil. they are very simple forks, no where near the sophistication of the Ducati ones I normally do!