UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » That didn't go well

Old 16-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
That didn't go well

My 1000SS/SL was collected yesterday by it's new owner who decided he was riding it home to Reading from my place near Petersfield rather than pick it up by van.

@5 miles from his place it went down on to one cylinder and he limped it home.

Investigation this morning shows the Vert cylinder Cam belt broken and bunched up in the bottom of the cambelt tunnel.

I'm assuming it got really hot in yesterdays temperatures and the belt got too tight.

Bugger.

I'm going to hire a van one day next week, go and get it and refund him what he paid.
I'd expect that myself so should do it for him.

I reckon I'll be looking at a Piston, possibly con rod, and a cylinder head.
A replacement complete DS engine may be a better option, and the cheapest way to do that could be a complete multistrada 1000 to break.

Looks like I at least have my next project, but it isn't the Multistrada I wanted.

Anyone got a 1000DS engine to sell?

Anyone have a shortcut with the DVLA to get it back in my name.
I told them online as soon as he rode it away that I'd sold it as I didn't want it getting caught in any speed traps whilst still in my name.
Old 16-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bugger indeed!

But you never know it might not be so serious, if you're really (really) lucky the cam stopped with the valves closed and there was no piston/valve interface?

If the engine was still running afterwards and everything is still turning freely then the rod maybe OK? My Guzzi had a piston to valve moment (both cylinders) and the rods/heads were fine, just bent exhaust valves and dinged pistons - it even got me home with the bent valves, albeit at reduced power.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Cambelt shouldn't break because of the weather. The engine is hotter than that.normally I'm sorry to hear the news though honestly. It could have been more than belt tension that caused it.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 12:14 PM   #4
Nasher

Who knows at the moment what caused it, but I'm going to do what I would expect myself.

It could be that despite being more open the older fairings aren't allowing enough air to the rear pot in really hot weather, I must admit I've not ridden it in anywhere near the temp we had yesterday.

Anyway, it's done now, my Multistrada project will need to go on hold for another year
Old 16-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Oh no! The worst possible news!
I'm not going to speculate about how it happened or how much damage there is, just wish you luck.
I think it shows just what a charitable and honest sort of chap you are to in the way you have responded. I think I would have been more inclined to say well it's your bike now mate.. Your problem.

For what it's worth, Craig or Luke have told me in the past that if you buy Ducati belts there would be some sort of recourse in the event of a failure. I wouldn't build much hope up as there will probably be caveat after caveat, but the least might be a new set of belts.. Maybe worth and ask?
Old 16-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Oh no, that's really bad luck.
And I can't help but think that after all your good work sorting out Mark's stuff, you deserved better.
Full marks on your response though.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 01:12 PM   #7
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
That’s not good. Hopefully it works out in the end and credit to you for taking it back off him.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Oh dear thats sad , will be interesting to find out what happen3d when u open it up,, and good on you for refunding the chap , ur a honorable gentleman
Old 17-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
used rear heads are much more common than front ones, you might get lucky with the piston and rod
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #10
Nasher

Thanks guys

I was convinced my fitting of the older 900 fairings had restricted airflow to the rear pot, it had been expanding more than it should because it was getting too hot, and the belt had finally given up after being stretched past it's limit so many times.

However, the new owner has called today to say he's looked through the plug cap holes in the belt covers and is now convinced it's the Horizontal pot that the belt has snapped on.

At least if that's correct, and the rod is OK, I won't have to separate the Engine and Frame to fix it.

Annoyingly I think it will be Thursday before I can get a day off work to collect it.

Last edited by Nasher; 18-07-2022 at 12:13 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #11
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
That is seriously polite of you! Good luck with the rebuild...hope the insides are not too battered.
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote