UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » pilot jets size M750 question

Old 16-06-2022, 01:22 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
pilot jets size M750 question

My 2000 M750 is restored and finished , Alf put in some DRCEIX 9 plugs checked the timing with strobe and put it on the dyno and got it running properly his Dyno showed 62.5 hp at rear wheel so maybe 68 at the crank ? He also did an MOT ,, its sweet to ride with the Ohlins 8.5 springs in front end and the Ohlins PRCS 46 on the rear very compliant and comfy , looks the bollocks in 1974 Ducati Melon Yellow same original 750 sport of 1974

only issue is pilot air screws are 6 turns out to make it run right at idle and up to 1/4 throttle or it hunts and spits back in air box , before the restoration it only needed 3 turns out ?? and was perfect it has dynojet stage 2 but the pilot jets are 40 I think they should be 42.5 or 45 for dynojet , I may have put wrong ones in when fixing the carbs or the replacemnet air screws may be wrong size taper or length ?? , still its running great now after 3 years and looking a million dollars .

I know the dynojet numbering is different from Mikuni the mains and needles are Dynojet stage 2 for sure . Its only the pilots that are maybe wrong

Also Im only running opening pull throttle not the closing cable , wondering if that might be worth reffiting ??

so now I can sell the MHR 750 monster 1997 as I need space in garage while I get on with my 1991 750ss refurbishment its also going to be Melon Yellow .

Photos coming soon
Old 16-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

went for a long ride today tick over is fine but off idle 1300 rpm to about 2500rpm is a flat spot after that the bike come's on song with gusto , pulls like a rocket , having a look through my carb spares , might have put original pilot jets in so checking all my jets , mayy be the dynojet ones are in the box ???

handling is sublime , not happy with the custom mirrors though as the bike has original monster bars , my other 2 have wider renthals ,,can only see elbows , will get a good quality bar end mirror ordered

clutch slip a bit when given some balls at high speed above 80 was following my mate on his new Z1000 he said he was doing an indicated 130mph and I was right on his tail so thats good , probably about 120mph in reality I will fit some new friction plated the originals are 37,000 miles and 22 years old ,,
Old 16-06-2022, 05:58 PM   #3
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Can't help but just to say my 96 MY 750 runs and rides well overall but although it idles nicely and pulls like a train ordinarily it's quite temperamental getting on the gas and riding in traffic or commuting is a bit of a nightmare. No idea of my carb set up but it's running standard air box with an after market filter. I don't know whether "they are all like that" but am sure someone will be along soon with a more informed view. My clutch also appears to slip at higher speed.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #4
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
Can't help but just to say my 96 MY 750 runs and rides well overall but although it idles nicely and pulls like a train ordinarily it's quite temperamental getting on the gas and riding in traffic or commuting is a bit of a nightmare. No idea of my carb set up but it's running standard air box with an after market filter. I don't know whether "they are all like that" but am sure someone will be along soon with a more informed view. My clutch also appears to slip at higher speed.
No mate my 87 monster is fine at slow speed and the 2000 was before its accident in 2019 ,,, Im sure I will get if smoothed out eventually 6 turns on air screws is too much when it was only 3 before

My 1991 750ss needs 4.5 turns but its slightly different set up
Old 16-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
not happy with the custom mirrors though as the bike has original monster bars , my other 2 have wider renthals ,,can only see elbows , will get a good quality bar end mirror ordered

clutch slip a bit when given some balls at high speed above 80 was following my mate on his new Z1000 he said he was doing an indicated 130mph and I was right on his tail so thats good , probably about 120mph in realit
Smaller elbows or wider bar end mirrors?

Sounds about right for a reasonable 750, chased Zimbo back (on a 900) from a meet up once and was pushing those kind of numbers to keep in contact
Old 17-06-2022, 07:08 AM   #6
jerry
Old Git

yes bar end mirrors or renthals bars hmmm
Old 18-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #7
jerry
Old Git

OK jets in carb are Mikuni 40 which is standard , I have checked all my spare Pilot jets and they are also standard 40, also checked and Dynajet stage 2 dont supply pilot jets anyway but seems that tuners reccomend putting in 42.5 pilots if off idle is lean or too many turns out on airscrews are needed ,, so as i have several 40 jets i want to drill them out for 42.5 now I need to find tiny drill sizes ????

Have tried buying 42.5 Pilots but no one has stock tried NP and Allens , any the prices on Ebay are stupid £38 for a used pair monster 900 pilot jet jet

Last edited by jerry; 18-06-2022 at 09:39 AM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote