UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Help Needed : Leak From Fuel Filter M750

Old 05-06-2022, 09:45 PM   #16
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Thanks-I'll also give that a try . Have posted in the wanted section as well.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:25 PM   #17
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I once heard that you can soften old rubber by gently heating it in White vinegar.
I tried it once with a seal many years ago, but let it boil dry, so I can't vouch for whether it works or not if done properly.
Might be worth a try if it's no good anyway?
Not heard of the vinegar trick* before but a few years ago Practical Sportsbikes contained a tip for softening hardened inlet rubbers using wintergreen oil. It just so happens that it was in an edition all about the Monster, so I've kept it. Here is the article - hopefully it's clear enough to read if you zoom in.

Note that PS used wintergreen and hot water but I have seen other recipes that mix the wintergreen with alcohol or xylene instead of using heat and water. I'm sure if you do a Google search you'll find details of all the alternatives.

* Nerd alert! White vinegar is acetic acid (C²H⁴O²) and water while wintergreen is methyl salicylate (C⁸H⁸O³), which is derived from salicylic acid.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #18
motomartin11

Thanks. I think I may have that issue up in the loft as I used to buy that mag at one time before it got boring.

I've priced up a new fuel tap from MR which is £80 less discount but probably + P and P and VAT!

Too salty for me.

I think i'll have to go after-market. Has anyone tried this please? Vacuum or manual? Any recommendations?
Old 06-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #19
Flip

Bike: M900
Admittedly that’s gone up about £10 per year since I replaced mine but given it was about eighteen years old I reckon it hadn’t done bad and even at £80 if it lasts a similar amount of time that’s less than a fiver a year so personally as your 900 must be approaching a similar age as mine, I’d say suck it up- do the job properly and do it once.

As I’ve said before, all the carburetted models are getting on now and so with the ravages of time and the added effects of Ethanol they are starting to need almost yearly nurturing to keep them sweet which, to paraphrase the words of Yoda ‘Either do or do not- there is no try’ (coz it’s asking for the kind of trouble that got Ducati a bad name when the motors had valve checks every service and when they were missed people complained they ran cr@p and were unreliable).

I wonder how many owners of twenty plus year old Ducati’s are prepared for the valve service bill (if they’re not able to carry it out themselves) or simply just miss it and hope for the best??

Cr@ppy idle and small throttle openings anyone?

Last edited by Flip; 07-06-2022 at 04:56 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #20
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
What it might be worth investigating is who makes the tap and is it used on other applications? If it can be obtained elsewhere it would most likely be a lot cheaper than Ducati spares premium.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #21
Dukedesmo

Is this £80 tap the vacuum operated jobbie as per Flip's picture on the previous page?

If so, I've got one lying around doing nothing - used but AFAIK working.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 PM   #22
motomartin11

Thanks for posts all.
Yes this is the tap pictured-happy to pay you for it if it's surplus to your needs.
I appreciate a 20 odd year old Italian bike is likely to need a load more maintenance than a similar age Japanese one and yes I had the valves on mine checked and adjusted last year.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:00 AM   #23
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Is this £80 tap the vacuum operated jobbie as per Flip's picture on the previous page?

If so, I've got one lying around doing nothing - used but AFAIK working.
I have sent a PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:06 AM   #24
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
Has anyone replaced that tap with a manual one? Preferably close to the tank.
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:18 AM   #25
motomartin11

Yes, see attached.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...light=fuel+tap
Old 07-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #26
Flip

Wasn't meant to sound so moany as it probably did but you asked to fix a problem and to me there are three possible ways of doing something like this:

1. Copy the Factory set up and replace parts as required.
2. Change from Factory for whatever reason such as 'Dry-Break' hoses or a need to increased fuel flow.
3. Come up with another way to save a few quids and risk having to fix it over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
I appreciate a 20 odd year old Italian bike is likely to need a load more maintenance than a similar age Japanese.
Not really true, age and our horrible Ethanol fuel doesn't care where it was made. All these twenty-ish year old motorcycles, and cars for that matter (call them classics if you like) are all starting to suffer the effects and people considering owning them should be aware they may need a little more looking after than something more modern (even an early injected Monster would be considerably easier to live with).

I recently overhauled a friends 1999 Honda CB600 Hornet as it had stood a while and once started ran like a sack of poop.

Carbs were gummy and jets blocked, vacuum fuel tap hones and the main fuel to carbs supply hose were perished beyond use and to top it off all the carb diaphragms were completely knackered.

Less than half the miles than my Monster has done but still a nice looking bike so worth the effort though:

I guess in many ways I haven't noticed it with my Monster as I've owned it so long it's just been 'one of things' I do as it's got older. I still love riding it so much (maybe more than ever) and would hate it to let me down because of something I haven't done to keep it sweet.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #27
motomartin11

Yes agreed.
If money was no object and in the long run I'm sure you are right.
In an ideal world yes fit the OE parts and there's less chance of problems.
I would happily spend the dosh on the best I could buy but my wife doesn't see it like that!
She sees 5 bikes which I'm constantly fettling and spending money on, although to be fair she is fairly understanding .
Strangely though she doesn't mutter as much when money needs to be spent on our 18 year old German sports car.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:56 AM   #28
motomartin11

Thanks to Dukesdesmo I now have a OE fuel tap on the way so will report back once it's all back together-fingers crossed.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #29
motomartin11

All done now. Thanks for petrol tap Dukedesmo. No leaks and bike is running well after a 20 odd mile ride today Thanks for advice to all.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #30
Dukedesmo

Good to know it's all working.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote