UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » M1100 new to me.

Old 23-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Italiatwin

M1100 new to me.

So I've now done 300 miles on my 'new to me' 2009 M1100.
The bike has only done 5300 miles and is mint. It is blessed with a ton of high end extras/mods/accessories. Termi, Rizoma, Corse body work and lots of general bling. I've had a few Italian bikes over the years including 4 Ducati, 1 Aprilia RSV and a very very under rated Cagiva Navigator (well, half Italian)
My previous Ducks were a 97 900ss, a 95 900 Monster and a 2003 Multistrada so an air cooled Ducati was not new to me. I have to say this one is by far the quickest of the lot. Of course out and out performance is only part of the package. The bike looks fantastic and sounds even better, the Termi cans with baffles out make some seriously rude sounds that make me grin inside my lid.
I have Rizoma 009 handle bars that give about a 2 1/2 inch rise and Rizoma rear sets on their lowest setting which together give a wonderfully neutral riding position, very comfy but ready for a bit of a crouch if the pace pics up. My only issue is a slight discomfort to the gentlemans area, something most new shape Monster owners are familiar with I believe. The bike handles nicely on smooth Tarmac but I feel it needs a good suspension set up to handle those bumps a bit better. The motor is a peach, mine is set up superbly and is smooth right down to 2500 revs, from there it pulls strong and clean and only starts to feel a bit breathless right up the top end in the high gears.
So......what's not to like ? It looks great, it sounds wonderful, it goes well, it handles well and everybody wants to look at it and talk about it......I think it's a keeper.
Old 24-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
grin factor

Sounds like you've got yourself a cracking bike there.
Enjoy
Old 24-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
You will find that the Ducati touring seat will provide more comfort for your gentleman's parts. It does not slope forwards as much as the stock seat. As a consequence it is slightly taller.

It is probably worthwhile setting the suspension up to suit your riding and your weight. If it has not been altered from the stock settings then it will probably be quite harsh and suited to billiard table smooth roads rather than the real ones we have in this country.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Italiatwin

The touring seat souds like a good idea, I think I'll give one a go. Try and find a second hand one if poss cos I'm guessing they are an arm and a leg new ?

We have a place called Race Lab here in Bournemouth on the airport industrial estate, they set up my RSV and transformed it from a rock hard board that couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground to a reasonably compliant bike that handled superbly. Think I better book it in.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
TonyG

I had one incident involving braking hard and a pothole that almost made stop, get off, and puke. The touring seat is definitely better, and looks nicer with the dinky red stitching.

They seem to come up second hand every now and then, but sell very quickly.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Yep, the biggest let down was the suspension on my bike, put a Wilbers in the back and K-Tech do a fantastic conversion on the forks.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: