UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » What I like/dislike about my M1100 Evo

Old 13-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Don't rely on it too much....remember my high-side..
Hmmmm. What setting did you have the DTC on? I've left mine on 4 for now and may well keep it there. I don't intend to rely on the DTC. I ride as I always have. I have never highsided or had a tank slapper and have never felt the need for traction control. The DTC is there to hopefully help me if I accidently do something silly or unexpectedly encounter a situation where it is needed. I also don't do track days which probably eliminates some of the risk of the DTC not helping.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
SunEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyX View Post
Rear brake? What's that? Never used it.
I tend to use the rear brake when doing slow manoeuvres. I find it a bit tricky trying to slip the clutch balance the throttle and drag the front brake. I also use the rear brake when I'm "making progress" on a twisty road.
Old 14-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
urbanfireblade

Jeez that rear sprocket/brake disc on the same side sounds off putting, especially as scottoilers tend to lube alot even on their minimum setting so getting it on your disc is a real possibility.
Is the steering lock left-to-right good on them? My 600 monster is awful, catches me out nearly every day some way or another.
Whats the difference in price between M1100 evo and your old M1100?
Old 14-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfireblade View Post
Jeez that rear sprocket/brake disc on the same side sounds off putting, especially as scottoilers tend to lube alot even on their minimum setting so getting it on your disc is a real possibility.
As they have been since the 996. The distance between the chain and the disc is over 4 inches, I don't recollect problems with chain lube getting on the disc, unless you actually spray it on there.

Last edited by Capo; 14-09-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
neilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
What I Don't Like
I'm not a fan of the stock exhaust can, but don't hate it either.

I actually wish the riding position was more upright! I guess this all depends on height. I'm 5'10".

My engine is lumpy below 3k rpm (evidenced by the dancing fluid resevoirs), but anything above 3.5k rpm is fine.

I don't tend to ride at night, so the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs I've put in are perfectly adequate for me.

Hoorah for Wurth Dry Chain Lube. Not had any issues with lube on my rear disc, and the rear brake works brilliantly on mine.

I agree with everything else.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
neilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
What I Like
What I'd like to add to this...

It looks beautiful! People stop and stare at it everywhere I go...

It's light! A whole 90kg lighter than my ZZR1400.

It handles!

It sounds great (even with the stock can).

It's rare (comparatively).

It's fun to ride! Gone are the days of periodic boredom whilst out on a long ride, and this is even whilst staying within the speed limit. The bike launches an assault on the senses everytime I start it up. It's got character!
Old 14-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Nottsbiker

I actually really like exhaust style (although I'd change it / gut it) over the conical shape ones on the old model or 696/796 versions.

The 1100 evo is what I personally think the new big cc Monster should have looked like from the start
Old 14-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
SunEye

Quote:
Is the steering lock left-to-right good on them? My 600 monster is awful, catches me out nearly every day some way or another.
Whats the difference in price between M1100 evo and your old M1100?
I wouldn't be put off by the rear sprocket/brake disc situation. Only if you use a flingy chain lube is there a problem. I had an issue with some Michelin chain lube that I picked up in France when I needed some chain lube. I believe the Wurth dry chain lube is good stuff which doesn't fling. A Scottoiler may be an issue if the oil flings.

The steering lock is pants. I think that's a Monster thing. Doesn't really bother me.

In November 2010 I paid about £8600 for a new 2009 M1100 with carbon Termis and Corse bodywork (RRP was over £10,000). The RRP for a 2012 Evo is £9250. In July this year I traded in my M1100 (with 15,000 miles on it) and paid £1000 to get a brand new Evo.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
SunEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
I actually wish the riding position was more upright! I guess this all depends on height. I'm 5'10".
It's probably just a very personal thing and probably depends upon a lot of factors. I'm 5'10" as well and weigh 11.5 stone. Most of my riding is long distance (200 miles to 600 miles) which is when I notice the issue and why it is very important to me. The fact that the Evo is not as comfortable for me as the M1100 was a big surprise.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
SunEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
What I'd like to add to this...

It looks beautiful! People stop and stare at it everywhere I go...

It's light! A whole 90kg lighter than my ZZR1400.

It handles!

It sounds great (even with the stock can).

It's rare (comparatively).

It's fun to ride! Gone are the days of periodic boredom whilst out on a long ride, and this is even whilst staying within the speed limit. The bike launches an assault on the senses everytime I start it up. It's got character!
Would have to agree with you on all those points.
Old 14-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
BeePee

Bike: S2r
The handlebars on my 1100s were killing my wrists even after 50 miles. They were the same ones fitted to my CanAm Renegade 800rX (made by Magura I think ).
I changed them for Easton bars, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EASTON...a#ht_500wt_949

I bought the Henry Reed bend with a slightly higher rise than standard Ducati.
2 mods to keep in mind if you choose this option,
1. adjust your lock stops to suit the new bars
2. I added a 2" adjuster to the stock throttle cable as I felt the standard length was now on the short tight side.

I also fitted Rizoma grips and throttle to complete the install, result........PERFECT !

Old 15-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
470four

Quote:
Had this issue on my VFR800VTEC? The Scottoiler would regulary lube the tyre, disc, wheel, rear frame, plastics etc, especially if you made a habit of "making progress"

Made a template & cut up an old Ikea plastic chopping board, no more issues...

Just reverted to using the Scottoil to lube my chain - but this is done when the bike has just come back from a ride, get the back wheel up on a paddock stand & run a drizzle on the chain??

Chain will cool down after the oil has soaked into all the gaps leaving it superbly lubricated without any *fling* everywhere....