UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » bikini fairings, how good are they????

Old 13-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
daz7505

bikini fairings, how good are they????

always loved the look of the monsters, but never been keen on the bikini fairing around the head light. however am seriously considering getting one as i just done a 300+ round trip to rugby on my 98 m750, and the wind was horrendous. my last bike was a yammy srx400, which i very rarely took it on the motorways, before that i had an honda nsr125 with full fairing which i used for getting to work and was always on the motorways with it with no wind issues, even at 130mph (on private roads lol)

how much difference do the headlight bikini fairings make on the monsters?????
Old 13-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
mikeeb

To be honest they are not great i guess hence the bikini name.It does give you a bit of protection if you get down nice and low on the tank. Nothing compared to full fairings but i have not ridden an unfaired monster so cant really comment on the difference between the two. Test ride one with before you buy.
Old 13-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
JMo

Unfortunately the size of the screen (and hence how much wind protection you receive) is inversely proportional to how cool you look...

...as you have ascertained, you look very cool on a totally naked monster, slightly less so on a bikini clad one, and a total spod on one with a huge great Givi screen. However, you will be a warm and dry(er) spod, and there are a few aftermarket options, one of which you might actually like the look of...

This one (for example) is at least bearable: https://secure.dartflyscreens.com/store/monster.html

I guess it's your call?!

xxx
Old 13-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
lilbikerlady

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz7505 View Post
always loved the look of the monsters, but never been keen on the bikini fairing around the head light. however am seriously considering getting one as i just done a 300+ round trip to rugby on my 98 m750, and the wind was horrendous. my last bike was a yammy srx400, which i very rarely took it on the motorways, before that i had an honda nsr125 with full fairing which i used for getting to work and was always on the motorways with it with no wind issues, even at 130mph (on private roads lol)

how much difference do the headlight bikini fairings make on the monsters?????
I'm 5'5 Daz and it all depends on your height, but I've got one too and haven't fitted it yet but I've been told that I'll benefit with it being on rather than off. If anything it'll keep the flys off the dials, less elbow grease!!!
Old 13-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
...... honda nsr125 with full fairing ......... even at 130mph ...............
How fast!
Old 14-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
daz7505

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
Unfortunately the size of the screen (and hence how much wind protection you receive) is inversely proportional to how cool you look...

...as you have ascertained, you look very cool on a totally naked monster, slightly less so on a bikini clad one, and a total spod on one with a huge great Givi screen. However, you will be a warm and dry(er) spod, and there are a few aftermarket options, one of which you might actually like the look of...

This one (for example) is at least bearable: https://secure.dartflyscreens.com/store/monster.html

I guess it's your call?!

xxx
just looked at that screen, thanks, but i actually prefer the normal style over that one.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
daz7505

nambduke, the honda nsr 125 is a learner legal race rep styled on the cbr's. restricted they would reach approx 80mph but take ages to get there.

derestricted, very easy to do, they would reach 130mph, and get there very quick.

imo 130 on a learner legal is crazy, but i loved it. that is until i hit a pot hole/manhole cover at 80 and got tank slap. the poor bike was only 4 month old. lol.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
JMo

Quote:
just looked at that screen, thanks, but i actually prefer the normal style over that one.
I tend to agree with you (although if you chopped it down slightly and painted it to match the bike it could be pretty cool?)

GaryT has the standard version on his bike - then again, no-one is going to be looking at the screen!

http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/sho...o=1225&cat=531

xxx
Old 14-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Go carbon fibre and get the same one I got off a lovely Italian chappie for 1euro + P&P (thanks to an error on his ebay listing). IMHO much better looking than the original and nearly as effective plus you can change the angle easier to suit your ride/head height.

No longer very naked my bike though
Old 14-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
nambduke, the honda nsr 125 is a learner legal race rep styled on the cbr's. restricted they would reach approx 80mph but take ages to get there.

derestricted, very easy to do, they would reach 130mph, and get there very quick.

imo 130 on a learner legal is crazy, but i loved it. that is until i hit a pot hole/manhole cover at 80 and got tank slap. the poor bike was only 4 month old. lol.
Still find this unbelieveable. The best information I can find which would appear to have some credibility is:

Honda NSR Specs
Liquid cooled two stroke single
124.8 cc
bore:54 stroke: 54.5mm
compression ratio: 6.8:1,
max. power: 26.5@94000 rpm (DIN) (18.5kW),
Max. Torque: 1.95kg-m/ 9500rpm.
6 speed gearbox,
capacitatr discharge (CDI) ignition system,
manual transmission,
electric starter.
Weight:132kg,
wheelbase: 1345mm,
seat height: 800mm,
35mm telescopic fork, travel, 118mm axal,
rear suspension: pro link swingarm, 125mm axal, travel,
6 spoke cast aluminium wheels,
tyres: 100/80 1752T, 130/70 17 62T,
front brake: 318 x 4mm hydraulic disc with dual piston capiliar,
Rear brake: 220 x 4mm nydraulic disc with single piston capiliar.
Fuel capacity of 13 litres with 208 litre reserve.
Performance (derestricted): 100.2 mph, 73mph (restricted to 12bhp), 15.65@85.7 s/s , 47.5 mpg.
Old 14-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Scootaboy

I prefer the standard one generally but thats a fantastic looking bike there LVC - and that screen does look better on yours
Old 14-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Go carbon fibre and get the same one I got off a lovely Italian chappie for 1euro + P&P (thanks to an error on his ebay listing). IMHO much better looking than the original and nearly as effective plus you can change the angle easier to suit your ride/head height.

No longer very naked my bike though
Thats looking great LVC. No doubt J.P will be photographing it next week when you meet up. Rad covers look better on your black bike.

Regards to fairings to not hijack. As with JMO I have a rare Road Race fairing and it does throw the wind over me to around 120 then Its just a tuck down. The standard ones do wobble at speed but braces are available or easily made up but if you dont mind the breeze why bother. Choice is yours or purely cosmetic in most.

Last edited by Albie; 14-05-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
daz7505

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambduke View Post
How fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nambduke View Post
Still find this unbelieveable. The best information I can find which would appear to have some credibility is:

Honda NSR Specs
Liquid cooled two stroke single
124.8 cc
bore:54 stroke: 54.5mm
compression ratio: 6.8:1,
max. power: 26.5@94000 rpm (DIN) (18.5kW),
Max. Torque: 1.95kg-m/ 9500rpm.
6 speed gearbox,
capacitatr discharge (CDI) ignition system,
manual transmission,
electric starter.
Weight:132kg,
wheelbase: 1345mm,
seat height: 800mm,
35mm telescopic fork, travel, 118mm axal,
rear suspension: pro link swingarm, 125mm axal, travel,
6 spoke cast aluminium wheels,
tyres: 100/80 1752T, 130/70 17 62T,
front brake: 318 x 4mm hydraulic disc with dual piston capiliar,
Rear brake: 220 x 4mm nydraulic disc with single piston capiliar.
Fuel capacity of 13 litres with 208 litre reserve.
Performance (derestricted): 100.2 mph, 73mph (restricted to 12bhp), 15.65@85.7 s/s , 47.5 mpg.
trust me, lay down on the tank barely able to see where i was going, i was able to hit 130, at the time i had that i only weighed 8 and half stone. my brother had the aprillia rs125 and he managed to get about the same out of that derestricted. they are absolute pocket rockets but sound awful when screwing the arse off them.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
mikeeb

Hi Albie great lights on that bike, lovely, what are they where are they from etc..? Is the clear fairing part of the light set up casing??
Sorry dont mean to distract from the original topic.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Road Racing from italy. I know of 4 in ukmoc. Mine, Jmo,Kato and I think Spareshacks bike Stuarts.
They dont seem to be doing business no more. Really suprised no-one makes these or similar because we always get asked about them. They are aluminium and obviously stacked projection type lamps like the 999. No reason you couldn't modify some 999 lamp. You need to be handy fabricator though.
Whats underneath. ??
This

Last edited by Albie; 14-05-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote