UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Oil leak

Old 16-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Miky

Oil leak

I’ve had a slow oil leak since having the bike returned from annual service but I can’t seem to trace it.
The cylinder heads look ok from the sides and there’s no oil coming down from them.
Bit unsure of the two engine bolts at the bottom of the case could be the issue or even possibly the filter?
I also noticed when it was sub 5 deg the drop of oil that sits at the bottom of the block was bigger, which obviously makes sense if the leak is coming from a broken seal.

Last edited by Miky; 16-04-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Probably the filter give it a tweak.
Old 16-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Miky

That’s what I’m hoping as the oil was not present prior the service.
Old 16-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Ironically genuine Ducati filters are, or were at one time prone to leaking, due to the rubber gasket not being as tall as the rolled edge of the filter, so they could only be tightened against the rolled edge with minimal gasket contact.

If you have a Ducati filter I would suspect that first, otherwise a tighten up by hand might do the trick as advocated by Rollo.
Old 16-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Flip

Bike: M900
Yep genuine Ducati oil filters of the last couple of years have been crap - previously I’ve never had an issue with them but I’ve seen them leaking on a few bikes now- last was a lovely 996 that spewd oil over the back tyre which if it hadn’t been noticed while parked up could easily have ended in tears.
Old 16-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Miky

Thanks chaps.
It was a Ducati service so I’m of the mind to purchase a K&N myself and ask them to fit it in place of the part they fitted - that being said if it is their filter that’s the issue will they use anything else other than another Ducati filter?
Old 22-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Miky

I cleaned off the oil today and it looks like it may be originating from the front cylinder head.
Old 22-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
The origin of oil leaks can sometimes be difficult to trace unless you adopt a definite plan of action .. basically clean everything up religiously and then observe very closely over a period of time.
Trouble is both gravity and wind pressure will move the oil about, so you need to inspect it stationary with engine running or after a very short ride.
From the location of the gunge I would say that it doesn't point strongly to the filter.
On the other hand, you have just had that changed at a service so its got to be a suspect initially.
I would remove it anyway and check that the previously mentioned seal fault isn't present, before tightening it properly.
In fact first of all I might see if it can be loosened by hand, particularly if you don't own a suitable filter wrench.

You say that the leak only appeared after the service.
Did you have the valve clearances done ?
If so, and if the leak is from the head area, I suppose its possible that a seal has failed on a valve inspection cover.

Are the oil lines to and from the cooler clean ?
There is always the possibility of a leak blowing backwards from there.

You could always take it back to whoever serviced it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 04:37 AM   #9
Miky

Thanks Utopia
The valve clearances were done so it could well be that then...
I have not considered the oil cooler tbh. I will observe it this week

The garage have agreed to take it back, but for my own learning I would really like to find the leak first. I can take it back to them to be dealt with if the leak originates from work they carried out.