UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi from a Manc.

Old 27-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Kenb

Thumbs up Hi from a Manc.

Hello there,
Came back to biking last June after a 25 ish year layoff.
Started with Honda 1100ES, then VTX1300, then 750 Shadow (All too heavy)and now settled on a Monster 696.
I’m old and creaky and thinking I need to raise the handle bars a little, but first impressions are good.
This is only my 2nd Ducati since I started riding in ‘59, First was a 200 Elite in ‘62. Time’s gone too quick!
Regards,Ken.
Old 27-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome aboard, Ken. Good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenb View Post
I’m old and creaky and thinking I need to raise the handle bars a little, but first impressions are good.
You're not the first to want a more upright riding position - have a look here for some options...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56786
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #3
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Hello and welcome to the mad house Ken...

This coming Sunday our local group meet at the Lock Gate Cafe on the A49 at Beeston usually around 10-30 am for breakfast and a chat so why not pop along on 2 on 4 wheels to introduce yourself.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Darkness

Bike: M900
Hi Ken, and welcome aboard.
That’s quite a tally of bikes in six months: hope you get the Monster set up right so’s you take the time to get to know it.
Old 28-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Ken.
Old 28-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
Welcome hope to see you at the Lock Gate this Sunday, Ken
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hello, Ken.

A 25yr lay-off ... that would have begun just as they were building the first monsters then.
Bad timing there mate, but glad to see you've made good now.

Enjoy the ride.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
Moco1961

Ey up!

Welcome Ken, glad you have decided to get in touch, brilliant timing for what promises to be a great year up this end of GB...... Not only do you get a regular dose of coffee at the lockgate but we are welcoming our friends from all over the country in May at the weekender, go on I bet you're pinching yourself now eh !
Old 29-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Kenb

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Luddite, thanks for the welcome and the link, very interesting, also really like those anolougge dials on floods bike. Is it possible to change to anolouge with a Monster?cheers.

Buzzbomb, Sorry, won’t make Sunday’s meeting, at near 76 I’ve gone a bit soft about riding too much in winter. Will deff. be there when weather warms up. Cheers,Ken.

Darkness, yep, handle bar will be main thing for me to get right, as is now, the spondylitis in my neck makes for painful riding after only half hour. I used to bend myself into different shapes to do different things, now, things have to fit me.
Raised the gear change ‘tother day, was fine in garage, but short ride said different, gotta move it back now.
This Monster certainly has a different “Character” to the other bikes I’ve just had! Think I’m gonna love it. Much nicer eye candy when it’s in the garage too. Cheers,Ken.

utopia, was riding a Honda Leadwing in those days. Cheers,Ken.
Again, thanks to everyone for the welcome.
Old 29-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Exclamation

There's always 4 wheels Ken?."

At present I'm neither riding or driving but the monthly meet at the Lock Gate helps keep me sane...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
Kenb

You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Welcome Ken, glad you have decided to get in touch, brilliant timing for what promises to be a great year up this end of GB...... Not only do you get a regular dose of coffee at the lockgate but we are welcoming our friends from all over the country in May at the weekender, go on I bet you're pinching yourself now eh !
Moco1961,
Sorry, missed you out. Hope to make the May date.
Thanks to you too for the welcome.
Ken.
Old 30-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Welcome Kenb - you must be as old as I am - you will love a Duke - took my test in 1960 on a Vincent Black Shadow - those were not the days - can't get one off the sidestand now (tried it last summer)
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Kenb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswilly View Post
Welcome Kenb - you must be as old as I am - you will love a Duke - took my test in 1960 on a Vincent Black Shadow - those were not the days - can't get one off the sidestand now (tried it last summer)
Hi Chriswilly,
Vincent bikes were above my pay grade back then. Know what you mean about the weight though...The Retro Honda 1100 I bought last June had a centre stand, (Great, I thought.) couldn’t even get it onto the centre stand.

I had Venhill Engineering make me a throttle cable 25mm longer than standard, then got a local bike man to fit a 40mm handlebar riser I’d bought.
Riding position is better,but, I’m still not upright enough to suit my knackered neck, and my wrists ache a bit.
I bought a pair of handlebars off a Ducati Scrambler(These come much further back) and with these fitted (No controls fitted, just dummy run) I think the riding position would be ideal for me. However, the guy that fitted the riser said it would be an horrendous job to fit these bars just because of trying to extend any electrical wiring that wouldn’t be long enough, so, looks like that’s a dead end.
Still lovin the Monster though.
Regards,Ken.
Old 17-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #14
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Bike: M1100
Hi Ken and welcome.

I have a higher pair of fat bars on my 1100 and was told they fit without any extending of wires or cables.
alan c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
Kenb

Thanks for the welcome Alan c,
I did try just putting the riser in myself, (standard throttle cable) all was good, except, as I’d read, when turning the bars to full left lock the revs increased.
Regards,Ken.