UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » It's always the simple jobs that take the longest...

Old 07-01-2019, 11:30 PM   #16
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
they told me that 99% of failures were due to damage during installation.
I replaced the small seal in the shaft on my 916 whilst the engine was apart as it seemed a sensible thing to do given the age, mileage and the fact that the seal is cheap, even though it wasn't leaking.

It did however leak afterwards because I fitted it the wrong way round

Next ride out the clutch slipped due to the oil in it and when the bike sat, oil dripped onto the exhaust to make a smokescreen on startup.

In my defence, it's a small seal and not so easy to see which way the 'lip' was pointing - I should've gone to specsavers...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
bobbertandsammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
If you're lucky, it might just be the small oil seal in the clutch end of the shaft.

Easy to replace as it doesn't need the side casing removing.
Is there a walk through or a link to the required tool for this anywhere? Need to do this soon on the 750 I got off of Madhatter
bobbertandsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #18
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbertandsammy View Post
Is there a walk through or a link to the required tool for this anywhere? Need to do this soon on the 750 I got off of Madhatter
For the seal in the shaft, just pick it out with a dental type pick and then drive it in (making sure it's the right way round) with a small socket, obviously you'll need the pushrod out to do it and you may as well fit new 'O' rings on the rod whilst you're at it.

The small bearing behind it is a pig to remove so, unless it needs it changing I'd advise leaving it alone.

As for the large seal in the case, I've never changed one but remove the RH engine case along with all the clutch assembly and it'll be easy to remove, refitting might be a tad trickier without some sort of tool (as per Capo's post) to keep it straight as I doubt you'd have a socket that big...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #19
Flip

My apologies for my somewhat misleading post earlier- it seems it wasn't the crankcase oil seal that I replaced when it leaked but the driven gear seal (the part the clutch drum bolts to).

I know this as I've just gone through my box of bits and have found a new crank case oil seal there as I bought the set before finding out which had leaked.

In my defence it was nineteen years ago so the memory has faded a bit but I definitely did it all in situ (clutch out obviously) and I don't remember it being too much of a bother to do that's for certain.

I also had a little look through my Haynes manual and it explains how to do all the associated bearings and seals so if you haven't already got one it's probably worth buying.

Later edition '91-'05 Variants (including the 620) here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-60...jNzn:rk:1:pf:0

I have the earlier edition '91-'96 as that was the only one available at the time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Du...JfqY:rk:2:pf:0
Old 13-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It looks like you're in need of an oil change anyway, jeez that's some black ****e!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote