UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » The New ULEZ emission zone.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The New ULEZ emission zone.

Hi Guys,

As those in London may know form April 2019 ULEZ is coming in to force.
Any bikes registered roughly mid 2007 onward are ok.
Anything earlier was till recently a no unless it had a Euro 3 certification.

Now there is a even easier way to be possibly exempt. Basically any bike that creates below 0.15 g/km of NOx is exempt.
2006 GS's are for example ok same Honda VFR800F VTEC.

If someone already challenged and won for their bike then anyone else with that bike will be exempt so it is per model basis not per individual bike.

Anyone with Monster S2R800 older then 2006, M1000, M900 or M800 can you check for me if you have on your V5 NOx rating?

If not any idea where I can get certificate of conformity from?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Have you tried putting your reg. no. into the checker yet? https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...m-checker-ulez

For what it's worth, an S2R 800 comes up as liable to the ULEZ charge.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Luddite

I've just remembered, BeePee recently bought a new unregistered 2005 S2R 800 and probably has the certificate of conformity:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...4&postcount=36

You could try sending him a PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Well that's sure to P155 off all the Shoreditch Hipsters frequenting The Bike Shed Club on their 1970's 'Café Racers to get their moustaches waxed.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...on-this-page-0

To be honest it P155's me off as it's just another way not only of taxing people but killing off motorcycling which our Government (no matter who is in) seems intent on doing.

Maybe we need another 'Bikers Rights Day' à la circa 1988 (I was there) clogging up the streets and having a huge meet in Hyde Park?

On that occasion petitioning the proposed introduction of compulsory leg protectors to all motorcycles thanks to the (then TRRL) Transport and Road Research Laboratory (now TRL) 'data' being pushed forward by Peter Bottomley who was UK Roads Minister at the time.

This article is from 2016 but outlines the then proposal for those too young to remember:

http://motorcycleminds.org/2016/10/0...-has-returned/

There's always some 'expert' who will try and convince rule makers who don't understand or care that motorcyclists 'need' more 'protection' and in the process 'somebody' makes a lot of money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c50F...ature=youtu.be

Sorry to go a bit off topic
Old 03-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Thx re BeePee note will PM.

As to the ulez pollution rule for MC it is quite simple below 0.15 g/km NOx you can ask for exemption and you doing favour to all other people whom have samebyear/model.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
slob

pre 1981 bikes exempt.

I’m pissed off about my 03 thou’... but grudgingly ‘fair enough’ if that’s the cost of being able to continue breathing, although living near an airport probably cancels any benefit.

I am however outraged that an 05 vanvan will cost £12.50 a day to ride, while a high mileage, smoke belching 07 diesel van is fine. I’ll look into the emissions thing!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
That rules out pretty much anything Pre '92, to be on the safe side you'd want to have Euro 4 compliance which would be from 2005 BUT was only mandatory from 2007.

I like the way that the london transport site says the way round this is to 'upgrade' to a second hand post 2007 bike.

If you live inside the Nth Sth circulars then you can get a 100% discount for 2 years to give you time to 'upgrade' before you're hit with the daily charge.

You'd have to be tempted to 'upgrade' to a pre-79 2 stroke and get the historic vehicle exemption and be able to wave smoggy a finger
They are using the over 40 years old category so pre-79 is the magic year

Last edited by Nickj; 03-01-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
What happened to London-Brighton run and other events or are there exemptions via permits. Interesting the potential Bike Shed comment and impact.
I never go near the place other than by train however could be a blueprint for other city's with high pollute levels - maybe the high emission city close to me.

I have spoken to someone who had a vintage Velo GTP in London and he got sick of cyclists and other people verbally abusing him because of the two stroke smoke. Sadly he sold it out of disenchantment with society's intolerance. If we think motorcycling is under real threat we are very mistaken.
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzedder View Post
What happened to London-Brighton run
The vehicles in the veteran car run will, by definition, all be manufactured before 1905 so will be well exempt!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
Flip

Bike: M900
Okay so the majority of Shoreditchers may be safe for now but in 2021 with the ULEZ zone expanding to the North and South Circulars it is likely to affect the likes of the Ace Café.

But hey look on the bright side- with less motorcycles in Central London the Governments' figures for reducing motorcycle theft by the scooter scroats will look good in a couple of years eh?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Just a thought ..
It seems to me that by assessing emissions in g/km, no account is taken of the time that vehicles spend stationary, or trundling along at walking pace.
This time would be considerably greater for cars and vans whereas bikes can filter to keep on the move.
Thus bike emissions in the more relevant measure of g/min (ie actual emissions over time) would be much lower.
Plus, bikes cause less congestion themselves, which further reduces their overall pollution impact.
I haven't studied the regs but I wonder whether this has been taken into account.
The cynic in me suggests that it probably hasn't, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

No it has not been taken in to account as it is not a testable sulituation.

The 0.15 rule actually might not be bad a 89 Honda vfr from 1998 will be OK if someone asks lol. I think we should all do a list of known NOx emissions so its easy to exempt our bikes.

Slob I think your m1000 and van van will be OK if you can get NOx emissions figure. You do the hardle all other vanvan/m1000 users of same age are then also exempt

"I am Lucazade"
Old 04-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
...I’m pissed off about my 03 thou’... but grudgingly ‘fair enough’ if that’s the cost of being able to continue breathing, although living near an airport probably cancels any benefit...
Theres a few houses for sale in Pitstone. come be my neighbour
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #14
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Jonzi that is middle of the "sticks" almost The North lol.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
jerry
Old Git

If masses of people put false number plates on that would bugger the bureaucruds